Announcements

Shop Meural NFT Displays

Polls
What is your Experience with NETGEAR Insight cloud management?
0 Kudos

Why does firmware 2.0.9 increase cloud data collection?

Let me start off by saying that I realize my usage of the Meural is atypical. I decided that I wanted to make 'living photographs' of objects by taking high framerate video of low motion objects and slowing down the video to achieve my effect. The file size of these projects is too big for the Meural cloud (which somewhat surprised me) and so I use my Meural exclusively with an SD card after buying an extender, and have since moved all my other playlists to the SD card as well and removed any dependence on the cloud service.

I understand that Netgear wants to make money off of their subsciption service, but I'm not that target audience, so when I see an ambiguous firmware update about design updates and that playlist, brightness, etc information is now constantly sent to the cloud, I have to ask why? What value add does this firmware update bring me? Why does Netgear need more of my data now than it previously did? I'm not updating my unit to 2.0.9 or later until I'm either convinced that it's in my best interest to do so, or this extra data collection is reversed.