Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

My kids bypassing Netgear Controls (Armour and Circle) by creating new devices?

DMF_2021
Follower

My kids bypassing Netgear Controls (Armour and Circle) by creating new devices?

Firs, have to say that I had high hopes for the Netgear Orbi Mesh system; but the parental controls (having to use Circle App) makes this a clunky system.  Additionally, I think my kidss have found a way to bypass all controls. We keep getting notifications of New Devices being added to our network without my having given anyone our network name & password. Additionally, my "old" wifi network name is still being detected by my devices. Which is wild, because that was an entirely different mesh system and manufacturuer.

Regardless, by Orbi App (not the Circle App) recognizes two ESP devices. I don't know what these are, but Google tells me it may be a way that my system is being hacked? Any ideas or suggestions? Trying to simplify things here, but trying to keep my wifi controls in check feel like I just keep plugging holes in the damn. 

Message 1 of 2
plemans
Guru

Re: My kids bypassing Netgear Controls (Armour and Circle) by creating new devices?

Kids a sneaky. 

And they're great at googling for ways around blocks/settings. 

whether that be by adding new devices or spoofing mac addresses. 

Or even plugging directly into a satellite or the router with their own device. 

They'll do their best to find a way around. 

Have you tried using the guest network option? 

Setup the primary with your devices and set the ssid/password and don't give the kids access to that. 

Then setup the guest network and give them the info. then you can turn it on/off at will. 

Or use access control to block new devices. So if they do add a new device, it automatically gets blocked. 

Message 2 of 2
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7