Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

BR200 add device problem 'An error occurred while processing the request. Try again'

MiloDV
Aspirant

BR200 add device problem 'An error occurred while processing the request. Try again'

Hi all

My BR200 dropped its connection to Insight yesterday. After waiting for hours for it 'waiting for connection' then 'still waiting for connection' & trying rebooting etc. etc. etc. I finally got fed up & removed it from Insight in the hope that I could just start again from the beginning. Well, that was a mistake because it won’t 'add device' to Insight anymore.

I keep on getting the following message 'An error occurred while processing the request. Try again'.

It has internet, I’m using it now to write this. I have Credits to use it. To all intents and purposes it appears fine. It will just not add itself to the Insight Cloud.

Any thoughts would be gratefully received.

Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
MiloDV
Aspirant

Re: BR200 add device problem 'An error occurred while processing the request. Try again'

@schumaku 

Many thanks for the advice & the caution. We had thought removing more devices from Insight might open another can of worms.
We shall investigate the EoL. However, at this point this is starting to go beyond our knowledge base.

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 8

All Replies
plemans
Guru

Re: BR200 add device problem 'An error occurred while processing the request. Try again'

Is it a new purchase? You might be able to get it replaced/upgraded. 

https://kb.netgear.com/000064712/Security-Advisory-for-Multiple-Security-Vulnerabilities-on-BR200-an...

Message 2 of 8
schumaku
Guru

Does the ISP from where the DNS config (by DHCP) and DNS is provided have some overly smart filtering in place?

Give a try and manually push some alternate/public DNS IPs like Google's 8.8.8.8/8.8.4.4 or Cloudflare's 1.1.1.1 to the config.

Message 3 of 8
MiloDV
Aspirant

@plemans 

Unfortunately no, it is a few years old & we don't have the original proof of purchase. We were also told by a Netgear representative that the SKR30 does not support trunking, which is key as we have over 4no. VLANs to set up. On that note I also understand that the BR200 does not support more than 4no. DHCP Servers. Not sure what to do about that one yet!

Many thanks for the suggestion though.

Message 4 of 8
schumaku
Guru

@MiloDV wrote:

We were also told by a Netgear representative that the SKR30 does not support trunking, which is key as we have over 4no. VLANs to set up.

Amazing, the same mis-infomration is still around with official support as well as community support. 

Based on the similar designed BR500, BR200, SXR80, SXR50, SXR30 ... all can be configured to support up to 256 VLANs (deduct a few for special purposes), concluding the ability to configure a port to carry multiple tagged VLANs - this is what is typically named tagged trunk. This is available in the local Web UI as well as on Insight. Of course, this is for special usage or configurations only. Just on it's own with four ports, the possibilities are limited (except for putting up some trunks on the same or on different VLAN sets. Needless to say, you need to knw what you do - this is not a plug and play configuration.

The basic KISS default config does allow to have one VLAN per port, and support for four VLANs one on each of the four ports. But almost anything is possible. 

@MiloDV wrote:

On that note I also understand that the BR200 does not support more than 4no. DHCP Servers. Not sure what to do about that one yet!

While this might be correct, I don't know the relation to the inistial subject.

Message 5 of 8
MiloDV
Aspirant

Many thanks for the suggestion. I've double checked & we had set up the DNSs as 8.8.8.8 & 1.1.1.1 a while back on both on the ISP device & on the BR200. There is also no smart filtering options that we can see. Everything has been working fine up until now. 

What is also curious is that we have a GC728X, a GC510PP & 2no. WAX610. All of which run through the BR200 & are all still working fine, connected to Insight & everything. Rightly or wrongly, this suggests to me that the issue is not one of connectivity to the cloud. But one of initial setup which is stopping us from ‘adding’ the BR200 back onto the Insight. We have checked the obvious such as registration & subscription. We have also now taken all working devices back to factory default & started again. All of the above are still connected & are functioning on Insight, bar the BR200. Which is working via the web UI but we can’t get it back onto Insight. The only difference being is that we deleted the BR200 from Insight & not the others. As I said earlier, we have 2no. WAX610. So, I’m tempted to delete one of those from Insight & then try to 'add' it again. If that works without issues, then I am assuming it would point to a problem with the BR200 itself. As apposed to the Insight Cloud or a combination of the two.

With regard to the other comment you made. We had asked Netgear if the SKR30 supported VLANs & the answer was yes but not through 802.1Q. As we use trunking this made the SKR30 an undesirable option, so we went for the BR200. We have been using the BR200 with 4no. VLANs through one tagged port. But, it wasn’t up until now, while expanding the network, that we have found out that only 4no. DHCP Servers are supported. This is fine for our VLANs that have static devices as we are just going to use static IPs, but we require DHCP Servers on more than 4no. VLANs.

Anyway, that really is a side issue. The BR200 & Insight connectivity is the main issue. So, if you have any other suggestions that would be great.

Many thanks.

Message 6 of 8
schumaku
Guru

It's nice to know the other insight devices are able to re-register successfully - this is just a panic reaction however - please avoid - creating a lot of work and activities. Always get in touch with Netgear support in these situations, or find assistance here on the community. The assigned community admins @DaneA @JohnC_V @Marc_V or @JeraldM  can certainty help further.  Can't speak for the BRx00 or the Orbi Wi-Fi 6 Pro systems - in general all these Insight devices have nice cloud logs which could help Netgear support to troubleshoot or provide hints.

Wild guess is that the EoL BR500/BR200 might be "lost" on Insight however.

@MiloDV wrote:

We had asked Netgear if the SKR30 supported VLANs & the answer was yes but not through 802.1Q.

blunt nonsense - wireless backhaul as well as the VLAN (yes) are of course dot1q based. 

@MiloDV wrote:

As we use trunking this made the SKR30 an undesirable option, ...

Netgear even offered that SKR30 as a replacement unit to late BRx00 customers which complained in time about ceasing the BRx00 EoL.

Message 7 of 8
MiloDV
Aspirant

@schumaku 

Many thanks for the advice & the caution. We had thought removing more devices from Insight might open another can of worms.
We shall investigate the EoL. However, at this point this is starting to go beyond our knowledge base.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements