× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Ability to use 3TB disks on ReadyNas Duo

iau
Aspirant
Aspirant

Ability to use 3TB disks on ReadyNas Duo

Hi,

I have a ReadyNas Duo with 2TB that are quickly filling up. I have been hoping that it would be possible to use 3TB disks when they get more common, but it doesn't seem so. Is the problem with compability connected to the hardware itself or is it a firmware thing? I have been very happy with my Duo, but are very reluctant to go for an other ReadyNas with larger capacity in case it will also be a dead end regarding firmware updates or whatever it takes to be able to upgrade disks after a while.

Keep checking back every other week or so, but the compability list doesn't grow. Will it ever?

Hoping for some good solutions here...

-iau
Message 1 of 20
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

The Duo v1 (runs RAIDiator 4.1.x) is a Sparc ReadyNAS. It's the last of line a products released beginning in 2004. Unfortunately 3rd party development for the Sparc platform largely ceased a long time ago now. For this reason GPT support is highly unlikely to be added to Sparc ReadyNAS. GPT support is necessary for 3TB drive support.

Both the ARM ReadyNAS (Duo v2, NV+ v2) and x86 ReadyNAS (e.g. Ultra, Pro) support 3TB drives. These two platforms have strong 3rd party development and it is expected that for the foreseeable future higher quality drives will be able to be qualified over time for these platforms (though firmware updates may be required to add compatibility). A user in the ReadyNAS community has tested some 4TB drives in a few x86 ReadyNAS units and found them to be working. Whilst this is by no means conclusive it is a good sign that 4TB drives may already be compatible with x86 ReadyNAS units.

If you want a ReadyNAS with the longest useful life I'd go with an x86 ReadyNAS.

Welcome to the forum!
Message 2 of 20
iau
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks for the reply! I'll take a look at those you mention. At least I know what to look for in a new ReadyNAS.

I have been very happy with my Duo and it has been very stable. Will I be able to easily move what is on my current Duo to a new ReadyNAS (Ultra or Pro) by simply inserting one of my existing hard drives?
Message 3 of 20
StephenB
Guru

iau wrote:
Will I be able to easily move what is on my current Duo to a new ReadyNAS (Ultra or Pro) by simply inserting one of my existing hard drives?
Unfortunately no. The ARM and x86 disk formats are not compatible. So you will need to restore from backup (or start with new drives and use Frontview backup to load it)
Message 4 of 20
PapaBear1
Guide

While StephenB addressed the drives formatted in the ARM units, the same applies to the Sparc units. The Sparc units drive format is incompatible with both the x-86 and ARM formatting. You would have to either start the new unit with at least one drive and copy the data over the network. You might want to consider keeping both the Duo and the drives intact. After you set up the new unit with larger drives and move all your data over, you could then set the Duo up to automatically back up part of the new unit that contains important and critical files.
Message 5 of 20
iau
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks for your replies. Yes, I will keep the Duo and find some use for it. Always in need of an extra backup! I'll mainly be using it for a home network to access data like pictures that are stored on the server. Will the Pro offer any advantages over the Ultra for this? Noise and temperature are my main concern. I'll have to do some research in one of the other forums for this, I guess, so thanks again.
Message 6 of 20
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Regarding noise, not so much. The Ultra has a 3 year warranty and lacks business features. The Ultra Plus is like the Ultra in this regard but with more powerful hardware. The Pro series shares same hardware as Ultra Plus (except Pro 6 has more powerful hardware than Ultra 6 Plus), but the Pro series has business features and 5 year warranty.

Regarding noise 2-bay or 6-bay units are the best way to go. 6-bay units do provide the greatest room for expansion (can add drives to empty drive bays rather than having to replace existing disks) and has an option dual-redundancy feature.
Message 7 of 20
iau
Aspirant
Aspirant

One more question - why are the 2-bay and 6-bay the best way to go regarding noise? I was actually looking for å 4-bay but it sounds like I may as well go for a 6 bay?
Message 8 of 20
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

6-bay has a larger better fan installed and better airflow.
Message 9 of 20
poosty
Aspirant

6 months on.....just checking it is still the case the ReadyNAS duo (original version) will not support 3TB drives?

Really disappointed I need to chuck my ReadyNAS only after 18months of ownership and start again because its 2TB drive is full :evil:
Message 10 of 20
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Yes.

You could use your Duo v1 to backup important data from a new NAS.
Message 11 of 20
williamsmith518
Aspirant

A user in the ReadyNAS community has tested some 4TB drives in a few x86 ReadyNAS units and found them to be working. Whilst this is by no means conclusive it is a good sign that 4TB drives may already be compatible with x86 ReadyNAS units.

------------------------------------
Travesti.
Message 12 of 20
Carrillion
Aspirant

Seems it may work after all:
http://www.atlastsolutions.com/netgear-readynas-duo-v2-6tb-2x-3tb-raid-nas-network-server-readynasv2-6tb/
Message 13 of 20
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Two very different products with very different hardware, OS etc.

Duo v2 (runs RAIDiator 5.3.5 and available for purchase from Nov 13th 2011) supports 3TB drives

Duo v1 (runs RAIDiator 4.1.x or earlier) supports disks up to 2TB in capacity.
Message 14 of 20
BMWBig61
Aspirant

So... has anybody been able to run anything larger than 2TB drives in their ReadyNAS Duo V1?
Message 15 of 20
StephenB
Guru

BMWBig6 wrote:
So... has anybody been able to run anything larger than 2TB drives in their ReadyNAS Duo V1?
It doesn't do it. 2 TB is the limit.
Message 16 of 20
BMWBig61
Aspirant

Thanks, I was hoping someone had hacked the firmware or controller to allow it by now. I guess I need to look at V2...
Message 17 of 20
StephenB
Guru

BMWBig6 wrote:
Thanks, I was hoping someone had hacked the firmware or controller to allow it by now. I guess I need to look at V2...
Or the x86 models (pro-2 or ultra-2)
Message 18 of 20
dekkit
Aspirant

v1 readynas duo not supporting 3TB kinda sucks...but i'm hoping the work around is to to simply use the usb ports on it.

FYI there is a good background article on why things changed when hdds jump from 2TB to 3TB...
http://www.pcworld.com/article/235088/e ... rives.html

...I've read also that also impacts some media players, smart tvs etc that simply dont know how to handle the large drives.

While it the v1 may not support 3TB internal SATA, it may be worth searching for success stories of external 3TB being connected via USB.

I just connected my seagate external 3TB to my v1 duo (2xbay), looking under Volumes -> USB Storage Devices it came up with this:
USB_HDD_9 2794 GB No Filesystem 480

I could potentially format it as EXT3, but i'd need to investigate to see if would work before trying it out (i have all my data backed up on it, and not keen to wipe!).... keen to hear if anyone else has tried this?

Dek
Message 19 of 20
dekkit
Aspirant

Message 20 of 20
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 19 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 9 in conversation
Announcements