× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Basic setup for volumes

lraymond
Aspirant

Basic setup for volumes

Evening all, did some work and part of the payment was a readynas pro 6.  It has 6 disks, 2 were dead so I have (4) seagate 3T disks.  I did a factory reset, have networking working, but I can't get info on the volume.

I have (4) 3T disks, bays 1-4.  Raidar is installed on both mac/windows and the docs I read show these volume setups, etc. but I see none of that.  When I am in the app, I have admin page, browse and locate.  Status is Healthy, and if I click browse, I see a bunch of shares, admin, home, test, backup, media.  I even put a file in the admin folder, went to the mac, and sure enough can see it.

But from the admin, I click volumes and get an error saying "No volumes exists.  Some menu options are available only if a valid volume exists".  Same error with the Share Listing.

The admin page also shows all green except the disk: is blnking yellow, and if you goto status/health I see disks 1-4 green status OK, 5/6 show the old drives and Dead.   I dont want to run out and get 2 new disks, so can I just wipe those?

So all the above leads me to ask why is there no volume, share as I don't want some of the existing but also want to start using the device.

Thanks.

Message 1 of 5
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Basic setup for volumes

If you did a factory reset with just the good disks the disks you removed wouldn't show in the web admin interface.

Perhaps you should clear your web browser cache, close your web browser then reopen the web admin interface.

Message 2 of 5
StephenB
Guru

If the old disks are showing, then I don't think you did a reset.  Perhaps you did an OS reinstall instead?

What firmware are you running?  Also what model are the Seagates?

You could update it (if downrev) and then do a factory reset from the main UI. (system->update has a factory default tab on OS 4.x systems).

Message 3 of 5
lraymond
Aspirant

LOVE active forums!   I mayhave done a software reset as you mentioned.

I am using Seagate Barracuda ST3000DM001 disks.

Firmware is RAIDiator 4.2.26 (I did try the .27 but told the architecture was wrong, so have to re-visit that).

So I did the factory reset which sure enough gave me my setup!  Since the 4 are 3T disks I am going with the added 2nd disk protect (as the drives are not 100% new), but appreciate the quick response.

Message 4 of 5
StephenB
Guru

Personally I'd avoid the DM disks (based on user experiences posted here).  When the time comes to replace them, I suggest using NAS-purposed drives (Seagate VN line, WDC Red or Red Pro).

Dual redundancy/RAID-6 is good if you can afford to lost the space (and you have 2 free slots for expansion). 

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements