× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: External Seagate Backup Plus 3TB HDD shows ""No Filesyst

mgrzywacz
Aspirant

External Seagate Backup Plus 3TB HDD shows ""No Filesystem"

I have a ReadyNAS Duo v1 and an external Seagate Backup Plus 3TB hard drive attached to the front USB port. This is the product page for the Seagate drive:

http://www.seagate.com/external-hard-dr ... plus-desk/

The problem I'm having is that the external Seagate drive is only being detected with "No Filesystem" (the status in Frontview). I have tried reformatting the drive with NTFS from a Windows laptop yet the NAS still doesn't detect the file system. I really want to avoid using EXT3.

Any ideas what's the issue? Is it because it's 3TB and my Duo is v1? Or is this Seagate ext drive simply not compatible with the Duo? Anyone else using it successfully with their NAS?

Thanks in advance.

Mike
Message 1 of 9
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Drives greater than 2TB in capacity are incompatible with the v1.
Message 2 of 9
mgrzywacz
Aspirant

mdgm wrote:
Drives greater than 2TB in capacity are incompatible with the v1.

Thanks for the fast reply. Just to check, this is even with external drives?
Message 3 of 9
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Yes
Message 4 of 9
HERBIEO
Aspirant

Are you using it for backup ? if so you could connect it to your computer enable sharing on it and then set up a backup job in frontview.
Message 5 of 9
mgrzywacz
Aspirant

HERBIEO wrote:
Are you using it for backup ? if so you could connect it to your computer enable sharing on it and then set up a backup job in frontview.

Yeah, it's just for backup really. I use Mac's mainly at the moment so it'd have to be attached to my Macbook - would I need a static IP assigned to my Macbook for this to work?
Message 6 of 9
StephenB
Guru

mgrzywacz wrote:
Yeah, it's just for backup really. I use Mac's mainly at the moment so it'd have to be attached to my Macbook - would I need a static IP assigned to my Macbook for this to work?
Possibly.

I'd try it first w/o a static address, and see if the NAS reliably finds the Macbook. You'd want wired ethernet for backup btw.

If your router does DCHP address reservation, that would be better than assigning it a static address. Then you wouldn't need to reconfigure your Macbook if you connect it to another network.

BTW, you don't have to use Frontview backup for this. You could also pull the data from the NAS to the Seagate from a program running on the Macbook. I don't have Macs, so I can't recommend a suitable utility. But I am sure they are out there. With this approach you certainly wouldn't need a static address for the Macbook.
Message 7 of 9
mgrzywacz
Aspirant

Thanks for all the info Stephen, much appreciated 🙂
Message 8 of 9
dekkit
Aspirant

Surely there must be an underlying linux driver that can be applied to provide support to a usb connected 3TB drive in EXT3?
Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements