× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

How different can two RAID-1 disk be to work well together?

janpeter1
Luminary

How different can two RAID-1 disk be to work well together?

Hi,

In February I took the first step to upgrade my RAID-1 system 2x4TB running on ReadyNAS 314 and reaplaced one disk to a 8 TB.

At the time I bought a 5400 rpm disk from WD. To be exact it was a WDC WD80EFAX-68KNBO. Now when I want to upgrade the seocnd disk to a 8 TB disk I find it very hard. WD has discontinued the same disk and only has it for 7200 rpm.  Seem most vendors has discontinued the 5400 rpm disks for 8 TB. I just wonde if I buy a 7200 rpm disk if that will have difficulty to cooperate with a 5400 rpm disk in RAID1? 

Another aspect is cache and that was 256 MB in the 8 TB I bought. Likely good to have that in the other one too?

The compability list from Netgear I use is the followling

Thanks for your advice!

Model: RN31400|ReadyNAS 300 Series 4- Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: How different can two RAID-1 disk be to work well together?

@janpeter1 wrote:

I read in another thread that you could mix 7200 rpm and 5400 rpm disk in a RAID1-configuration and that means that the 7200 rpm disk will spin slower on 5400 rpm. And that is not a problem? You agree on that?

It shouldn't cause a problem (and when I replace one of my own WD 8 TB in the future, I will likely also end up with mixed speeds).

The 7200 rpm disk won't spin slower (it can't).  But the RAID array can handle mismatched speeds (and mismatched cache sizes also are not a problem).  Performance will be somewhere between a pure 5400 array and a pure 7200 array.

Though I am not mixing speeds at the moment, I have done this in the past with no difficulty.  

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 4

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

You can just get the current 8 TB WD Red Plus (WD80EFBX). It will work fine, though the performance will be slightly less than if you had a pair of 7200 rpm drives.  

@janpeter1 wrote:

The compability list from Netgear I use is the followling

The 8 TB Barracuda is SMR, so don't use that one.

FWIW, Netgear's HCL is here: https://kb.netgear.com/20641/ReadyNAS-Hard-Disk-Compatibility-List  But it's fine to just use a NAS-purposed drive (WD Red Plus, Seagate Ironwolf), or any enterprise-class SATA drive.

Message 2 of 4
janpeter1
Luminary

Hi,

Thank you for quick answer. Sorry copied and pasted the wrong infromation into the mail, but that Seagate disk was the 5400 rpm disk I easily could get hold of here. But I dropt it now.

I read in another thread that you could mix 7200 rpm and 5400 rpm disk in a RAID1-configuration and that means that the 7200 rpm disk will spin slower on 5400 rpm. And that is not a problem? You agree on that?

Thanks

Jan Peter

Message 3 of 4
StephenB
Guru

@janpeter1 wrote:

It shouldn't cause a problem (and when I replace one of my own WD 8 TB in the future, I will likely also end up with mixed speeds).

The 7200 rpm disk won't spin slower (it can't).  But the RAID array can handle mismatched speeds (and mismatched cache sizes also are not a problem).  Performance will be somewhere between a pure 5400 array and a pure 7200 array.

Though I am not mixing speeds at the moment, I have done this in the past with no difficulty.  

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements