× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RN104 continuously shows "Rebooting..."

ClydeScott
Aspirant

RN104 continuously shows "Rebooting..."

RN104 w/(2) 2TB WD Red HDDs...

Unit powers on, but the display hangs displaying "Rebooting...

Disappointingly, thus far, Netgear Tech Support has been unresponsive in helping me resolve or at least identify a way to move my stored data to an alternate storage medium.

All they want to di is tell me this expensive piece of hardware is End-Of-Life.  😞

Anyone have any ideas how I can fix the firmware, so this unit can reboot...yielding me access to the data files?

Message 1 of 4
Sandshark
Sensei

Re: RN104 continuously shows "Rebooting..."

You should not jump to the conclusion that there is a firmware issue.  The NAS boots from a partition on the drives, not directly from flash.  The first step to try is to remove all drives (with power off, marking them so they can be returned to the same order) and see if the NAS shows a "no disks" status.  If it does, then try adding a scratch disk and see if it'll create and boot from a volume on it.

If that all works, then the hardware and flash memory seem to check out fine, and an OS re-install with your original drives installed using the boot menu is the next best step.  That will not hurt your data, but be sure you don't accidently select "factory default", which will.

Message 2 of 4
ClydeScott
Aspirant

Thank you for the reply. 

Removed drives and when powered up the RN104 reported no disks found… just as you indicated. 

The only “spare” drive I have available is a 2.5” SAMSUNG 860EVO – 500GB that I was going to use as a portable data drive. 

Will that work as the scratch disk? 

If so, how do I mount it in the tray?

Message 3 of 4
StephenB
Guru

@ClydeScott wrote:

The only “spare” drive I have available is a 2.5” SAMSUNG 860EVO – 500GB that I was going to use as a portable data drive. 

Will that work as the scratch disk? 

Yes

@ClydeScott wrote:

If so, how do I mount it in the tray?

See page 171 here: https://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/READYNAS-100/ReadyNAS_%20OS6_Desktop_HM_EN.pdf

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements