× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RN104 raid failed

Intrep11
Aspirant

RN104 raid failed

I have an RN104 4 bay 2T in each Bay on a Raid 5 set up 

I had one drive degraded and put a new one in but it failed to build 

Have just moved house and on restart the raid did not mount.  After a reboot it did and i started a back up got half way through that and its failed with about 1.5TB of missing data

tried the reboot and no luck 

RAIDar diagnostic is showing some errors 

Disk 2 has 664 Pending and uncorrectable sectors 

it has created 2 vloumes where i only had 1 before and 

md/Raid:md127?failed to run raid set

and a mount and unmount action 

any suggestions on how to get the raid back so i can get the rest of my data recoverd would be really apprecated have attached pdf of diagnostic for the full story

have th elogs but cant see how to uplaod them 

thanks for any help 

Neil

Model: RN104|ReadyNAS 100 Series 4- Bay
Message 1 of 4
Sandshark
Sensei

Re: RN104 raid failed

Starting a re-sync with a replacement drive and another with that many errors without first making a data backup was a big mistake.  Unfortunately, it may be one that resulted in data loss because your volume is not redundant during the re-sync and a failure of any other drive can (an apparently did) damage or even destroy your volume during that process.  You should also use the full admin GUI, not just RAIDar in making any decisions.

Whatever you do, do not attempt to put the original Drive 1 back in.  If it still works at all, it could be of some help in data recovery.

The NAS is showing data and data-0 because it sees some of your drives as a partial volume and some as another, both with the same name, which is not allowed.  data-0 is the name of the MDADM RAID on which the BTRFS volume resides, so it's using that for one name.  That's probably the new drive and won't show up if you boot without that one  So, the first thing to try is booting the NAS with just the original 3 drives in read-only mode (controlled via the boot menu).  If that works, make a backup right away

Unfortunately, if that fails, it is rarely successful to try and mount the array manually when the automatic mount fails, so you are likely looking at a data recovery situation.  Netgear does offer data recovery, but it's expensive.  Software such as ReclaiMe and Home NAS Recovery may help if you have a way to connecting the drives to a PC, but they are also not cheap.  Both will allow you to assess your chances of recovery before you shell out the cash.  ReclaiMe has been used successfully by other forum users.  Home NAS Recovery is a newer player, and I have not seen anyone come here who has tried it.  But it claims to do a better job with a damaged volume.

Message 2 of 4
Intrep11
Aspirant

Thanks for this 

Yes i take your point on mounitng a new disk but the second fail happened long after the first i guess it didnt like being moved house.  

Unfortunatly i didnt have a disk i coudlback up too at the time 

The new disk (4) resync failed before the house move so i guess it must have retried again  

The 2nd disk failed at 0716 this morning 

• 2021-04-11 07:16:23: BTRFS: error (device md126) in cleanup_transaction:1864: errno=-5 IO failure

in read oly mode its showing this 

• 2021-04-11 16:04:15: md/raid:md127: raid level 5 active with 3 out of 4 devices, algorithm 2
  • 2021-04-11 16:04:14: md/raid:md127: failed to run raid set.
  • 2021-04-11 15:48:13: md/raid:md127: failed to run raid set.

I guess my only option now is Data recovery

seems odd it says the RAID is active but the volumes are not mounting

is it worth Destroying the Data-0 volume and rebooting ?

Message 3 of 4
StephenB
Guru

@Intrep11 wrote:

is it worth Destroying the Data-0 volume and rebooting ?

If you want to try and recover data, then absolutely not.  The more you do, the more difficult data recovery becomes.

Options are:

(a) contract with Netgear, who will attempt recovery remotely

(b) use data recovery software - in which case you will need to be able to connect the disks to a PC

(c) use a data recovery service - in which case you will need ship the disks to the recovery service. 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements