× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RN626X Incompatible with Drives built under RN516?

Tonkinite
Luminary

Swapped my RN516 drives to my RN626X (same firmware level, 6.6.1).

Volume immediately marked unavailable on boot.

PRIORITY support tech just openly voiced that it wasn't possible.

So... No one can ever just swap drives to any of the new units!?  You're supposed to build a new volume and copy the data over?

Model: RN51600|ReadyNAS 516 6-Bay
Message 1 of 10
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: RN626X Incompatible with Drives built under RN516?

Swapping disks to a new unit normally works fine, but you should update your regular backup first where possible.

I understand your current case has been escalated to L3.

Message 2 of 10
Tonkinite
Luminary

The original case was just CLOSED as RESOLVED by a Netgear tech early this afternoon ET.

I subsequently filed a RN626X customer support complaint against L3.

I have 24x7 support Contacts on both units.

Message 3 of 10
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

The L3 that reviewed your original case mounted your volume fine and rebooted it to normal mode and it came up fine and the data was accessible so he closed that case after confirming that with you.

You've since lost access to the data again and you have a new case that has been escalated to L3.

As you're still having issues the agent handling your case will need Remote Access to look into it further.

Looking at your original case notes mounting the volume read only there was a problem with the quota groups. That doesn't suggest a filesystem issue but rather the possibility that there may be an issue with the quotas on your volume that a quota rescan would fix.

Message 4 of 10
Tonkinite
Luminary

I don't know what you were told but that is not what happened.

A female support agent (who kept yammering on about contacting L3, implying she was not), did access my system, fooled around with it for 15-20 minutes, then told me the Volume was available, then let me go, without having me verify the unit status.

I then went to try and access the system only to find out I could view and open the Shares but they all showed empty.

I then rebooted the device, thinking she must have meant "after reboot". Then the Volume was not only not visible, but the Admin page was unavailable.

I went to the support page only to find the case was no longer visible, I was understandablely upset.

I immediately filed a new support case, a complaint one.

Talked to several support agents after that, who were quite unhelpful.

Since then I have tried to get the unit back into Diagnostic mode three times and have failed because the Arrows don't work after reaching the Boot Menu. After that, I just powered the unit off.

Oh, how have the mighty fallen.

Message 5 of 10
Tonkinite
Luminary

There are quotas set on a few shares that are for scans and faxes sent from my printer, anything in those shares is discardable.  It seems if I had not set those quotas, the transfer might have worked fine.

I scoured the logs yesterday and that is what I found also. The messages are timestamped roughly the time I booted the RN526X with the old drives.  Yet most of last week L3 kept yammering on about serious corruption on the volume. I kept asking what the nature of the corruption was, I was stonewalled. Were they confused, or just ?

This case has been completely mishandled from day 1.

Message 6 of 10
Tonkinite
Luminary

I am also noting for the record you edited this reply 5 times. I have email records of all versions.

Are you all trying to get your stories straight?

Message 7 of 10
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Was adding more relevant info to my post.

Message 8 of 10
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Well the case notes indicate that the L3 then proceeded to close the case after getting confirmation from L2 that the data was accessible. If we close cases and it turns out that the problem returns then of course you can open a new case referring to the old one as you have done.

My guess would be that the quotas may have got into an inconsistent state. A quota rescan would probably resolve that. The agent handling your case will be able to determine how to proceed.

Message 9 of 10
Tonkinite
Luminary

She did NOT get CONFIRMATION. She just told me the Volume was available and said everything was Ok, and I let her go, completely trusting her word.

The case notes are complete fiction in this regard, and possibly others. 

If you are, as your handle implies, management, then you should speak with her directly.

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements