× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS 202 factory reset

Wrightshouse
Aspirant

ReadyNAS 202 factory reset

I have "inherited" a ReadyNAS 202 (6TB) from a friend who has sadly passed on.  I am attempting to reset the entire unit to factory settings following the guidance in the OS6 Software and RN202 Hardware Manual. I am having no luck.  I hold the reset button and power on, continuing to hold reset.  The power light blinks.  Disk 1 and 2 come on simultaneously for maybe 2 seconds.  They go off.  Shortly, they come on together again and again go off.  In a few seconds the disk 2 light comes on so I now have power blinking blue and disk 2 on solid.   That's it.  I could wait for hours, nothing changes.  Backup never comes on and all lights do not come on together.  According to the manual, what I'm seeing is a memory test that may last 8 hours.  This makes no sense. 

Here's the detail:  

2021-07-25 21_30_52-NETGEAR RAIDar.jpg

Any help welcome. 

Model: RN20222D|ReadyNAS202 2-Bay 2x2TB Desktop Drive
Message 1 of 5
StephenB
Guru

Re: ReadyNAS 202 factory reset

@Wrightshouse wrote:

I have "inherited" a ReadyNAS 202 (6TB) 

Your screenshot says otherwise - it says you have a ReadyNAS Duo (v1).  It can't handle drives larger than 2 TB, so with RAID-1/XRAID you'll have a 2 TB volume, not 6.  One other restriction is that is uses SMB 1.  It's an old model - Netgear stopped shipping it in late 2011.

Manuals are here:

Did your friend possibly have more than one ReadyNAS?

Message 2 of 5
Wrightshouse
Aspirant

@StephenB wrote:
@Wrightshouse wrote:

I have "inherited" a ReadyNAS 202 (6TB) 

Your screenshot says otherwise - it says you have a ReadyNAS Duo (v1).  It can't handle drives larger than 2 TB, so with RAID-1/XRAID you'll have a 2 TB volume, not 6.  One other restriction is that is uses SMB 1.  It's an old model - Netgear stopped shipping it in late 2011.

Manuals are here:

Did your friend possibly have more than one ReadyNAS?

Thank you for the reply!  That's a great catch.  Actually he had 2.  I have them both.  This one was packed in a box marked "6TB"... I'll bet that's actually the other one.   I'll see if that one matches the instructions I found and I'll try the manual links you sent as well for the 1st one.  I just want to update these and start fresh.  Thanks!

Message 3 of 5
StephenB
Guru

@Wrightshouse wrote:
I just want to update these and start fresh.  Thanks!

FWIW, there are two other ways to do that.

If you know the NAS admin password, there is a control in both NAS that will do the factory default from the NAS web ui.  Let me know if you need help finding those.

You can also zero the disks (or remove the partitions) in a Windows PC.  Then power up with the unformatted drives, and both NAS will automatically do a factory install.

All the information is saved on the disks - a factory default formats/partitions the drives, and installs a linux OS on a small partition on the disks.  From there, the system boots from the disks.

Message 4 of 5
Sandshark
Sensei

FYI, you can also simply reset the NAS to factory status by removing all partitions on the drives using a PC and directly connecting them to SATA or using a USB dock.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements