× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS 212 Won't boot

Ja55ie
Aspirant

ReadyNAS 212 Won't boot

I just safely powered down my ReadyNAS via Admin website and I waited for the light to stop blinking so I could unplug it. I then plugged the NAS into a socket into another room and it won't boot anymore. 

I tried the same plug that it was just working in and then it didn't work. I tried to boot into recovery mode and make the appropriate recovery file on a USB and it still won't booot. 

There's no light when I press the Power button in the front. I tried to hold the backup button in the front too as well as holding the reset button on the back. The device isn't visible on RAIDar either. 

Any help to get my RN212 to boot?

Model: RN212|2 BAY Desktop ReadyNAS Storage
Message 1 of 6
StephenB
Guru

Re: ReadyNAS 212 Won't boot

It's possible that the power adapter has failed.  Is the NAS still under warranty (3 years).

Message 2 of 6
Ja55ie
Aspirant

This may be culprit. Is there any way to take the data off the hard drive of the NAS and transfer to my computer?
Message 3 of 6
StephenB
Guru

There are some third-party adapters you can buy for $20-$25 USD.  So you could do a risk-buy of a new adapter.

@Ja55ie wrote:
Is there any way to take the data off the hard drive of the NAS and transfer to my computer?

Not an easy way that's free.  There are two beta-level packages for mdadm and btrfs that you could try installing (assuming you have Windows). 

You could also boot a PC with a linux boot disk, and then install mdadm and btrfs on it - that would require more skills (particularly with Linux).

An expensive way would be to purchase ReclaiMe data recovery software - which would let you extract the data. 

Message 4 of 6
Ja55ie
Aspirant

I guess i will have to buy a new adapter then and hope for the best. 

I also had an external harddrive that was a backup for all my data on my NAS. It was connected to the read usb port and made a backup every week. My whole NAS is on that hard drive too. I tried to connect that external harddrive to my computer but it didn't rezognize it. Would you know of any way of taking the data off of the external hdd?

Also, no it is not under warranty. 

Message 5 of 6
StephenB
Guru

@Ja55ie wrote:

I tried to connect that external harddrive to my computer but it didn't rezognize it. Would you know of any way of taking the data off of the external hdd?

Do you recall how it was formatted?

If it was ext, then try R-linux for Windows https://www.r-studio.com/free-linux-recovery/ That won't work for the internal drives on your NAS, but if the USB drive is formatted as ext it should.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements