× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ReadyNAS Data Recovery - VMware recovery tool

_vito
Aspirant

_vito wrote:

I had some problems, since I am not a linux expert:
1) vgchange -ay c
gave an error 'Volume group "c" not found' I tried running

I connected the HD directly to SATA controller and I am able to see it in group c inside VMWare now (maybe my SATA to USB connector did not work well).

I make all the steps up to the error
fuse-ext2: Can't read an inode bitmap while reading inode bitmap
and when I try to access from another terminal to /mnt/lvm I got the error
Operation not permitted while reading inode xxxxxxx
as reported to several other post.

I tried also to compile again the fuse-2.8.1, e2fsprogs-1.41.2 and ext2fuse-0.8.1, having same result.
Can someone help me?
Message 26 of 188
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

_vito wrote:

dekkit wrote:

The error:

Is understood to be resolved by using a the 0.5 version of ext2fuse, so i'll recompile the kernal using the 0.5 and post another version of the image.

If you wish to try this yourself you should use a 0.5 version of ext2fuse.
Message 27 of 188
_vito
Aspirant

mdgm wrote:
_vito wrote:

dekkit wrote:

The error:

Is understood to be resolved by using a the 0.5 version of ext2fuse, so i'll recompile the kernal using the 0.5 and post another version of the image.

If you wish to try this yourself you should use a 0.5 version of ext2fuse.

...and it worked!!!

I, not an experienced linux user, build from scratch a Ubuntu 9.10 VMWare machine installing e2fsprogs-1.41.9, Fuse-2.8.1 and ext2fuse-0.5.

Thanks a lot.
Message 28 of 188
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Your welcome. Care to share the image with us?
Message 29 of 188
_vito
Aspirant

mdgm wrote:
Your welcome. Care to share the image with us?

Sure!
Gimme some time to restore backup and make some adjustments.
Message 30 of 188
_vito
Aspirant

My plan is to update my original post with all the information about causes, attempts, fails, results and what I learned!

@mdgm - [maybe OT]

I have a side question for you about X-Raid and Flex-Raid. I've seen you already ansewered on similar topic on other posts.

During my attempt to recovery, I have slightly damaged the SATA connector of one disk (troubles never happen alone!) so now it is impossible to re-install it inside Duo, but it could be installed without problems inside PC.

I don't want to buy a new 1T disk (about 70€ ) since I am planning to buy 2x2T disks in few months, waiting for prices to fall (now they are 150€ each!).
So I decide that I will have only one disk inside the NAS and back up the data in the other disk using NTI Shadow.

So it is better to:
1-preferred) X-RAID the unique disk with the persistent error on NAS; it will be easier later in time to replace the disk with 2x2T
2) Flex-RAID the disk inside NAS; when I replace the disks, it will need an additional factory reset and it will take time to copy 800G of data on it!

Could solution 1 (x-RAID with only one disk) cause hardware problem to the NAS? some other issues?
Data retention is not a problem since I will regulary back up NAS data on PC.
Message 31 of 188
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

_vito wrote:
My plan is to update my original post with all the information about causes, attempts, fails, results and what I learned!

Great.

_vito wrote:

@mdgm - [maybe OT]

Ok, I'll keep this brief. If you want to keep on talking about it send a PM or start another thread.

_vito wrote:

During my attempt to recovery, I have slightly damaged the SATA connector of one disk (troubles never happen alone!) so now it is impossible to re-install it inside Duo, but it could be installed without problems inside PC.

I don't want to buy a new 1T disk (about 70€ ) since I am planning to buy 2x2T disks in few months, waiting for prices to fall (now they are 150€ each!).
So I decide that I will have only one disk inside the NAS and back up the data in the other disk using NTI Shadow.

So it is better to:
1-preferred) X-RAID the unique disk with the persistent error on NAS; it will be easier later in time to replace the disk with 2x2T
2) Flex-RAID the disk inside NAS; when I replace the disks, it will need an additional factory reset and it will take time to copy 800G of data on it!

Could solution 1 (x-RAID with only one disk) cause hardware problem to the NAS? some other issues?
Data retention is not a problem since I will regulary back up NAS data on PC.

I'd choose 1 or factory default and choose X-RAID if you want to get rid of the error. Just make sure if you have the error of a failed disk that you haven't set it to shutdown after a disk failure. So long as the SATA connector problem was with the disk not the NAS SATA connector damaged you shouldn't have problems. If the NAS SATA connector is damaged (or appears that way) then contacting technical support if under warranty, or opening up the NAS and attempting to clean (in case just an issue of dust in the NAS not real damage to SATA connector) if out of warranty would be the next step.
Message 32 of 188
robUK1
Aspirant

Hello,

I've been following this thread and I've managed to get the Debian image up and running before running into the
"fuse-ext2: Can't read an inode bitmap while reading inode bitmap" message.

It seems _vito was able to overcome this issue with version 0.5 of ext2fuse. Unfortunately, my linux skills arent sufficient to sort this out.
Can someone post the steps required download/recompile this?

Thanks - any help is very much appreciated!

Rob
Message 33 of 188
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

robUK why do you need to use this? You shouldn't need to use this for data recovery as your NAS would still be under warranty so if the chassis fails you could get a replacement.
Message 34 of 188
robUK1
Aspirant

To be honest, I'm currently satisfying my own curiosity.

The situation I have is that one of the disks in my Duo went bad, coupled with what I think was a dodgy upgrade to 4.1.6. The net result is that I have one (good) disk left in the Duo, but all the volumes/shares/users have disappeared. I think (hope?) my data is still there - I currently have an open ticket with support and I think they will be remotely looking at the Duo in due course.

I'm just playing around with my bad disk (Windows can still identify the partitions, and the Debian VM could identify the lvm volume (although I really dont know what I'm talking about 🙂 ). I'm not really expecting to recover data from it.

Thanks for responding though!
Message 35 of 188
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

robUK wrote:
I'm not really expecting to recover data from it.

If you do want to recover data from it, trying data recovery yourself may make things more difficult if you do something wrong (depending what you do wrong is).
Message 36 of 188
robUK1
Aspirant

From the description of my problem do you think its likely/possible data would be recoverable from my good drive (in the NAS) by someone remotely debugging it?
Message 37 of 188
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

I couldn't say for sure, but it's possible. If your good disk is really good (i.e. you don't just think it's not bad, it really isn't) then you may have a good chance.

In future you should remember that RAID is not a backup.
Message 38 of 188
robUK1
Aspirant

Indeed.

One thing that might help indicate whether the data is actually gone is this:
When SSH'ing as root to the Duo, the Media and Backup folders are not present anymore (but the system still looks for them upon booting - according to the log)
Message 39 of 188
chin
Aspirant

Hi, going to try this out, but before i do, can someone explain what "/dev/c" refers to? i just want to make sure before i begin. (sorry for the noob question :P)
Message 40 of 188
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Note that if you use SSH, NetGear may deny support if you do something wrong.
Message 41 of 188
dekkit
Aspirant

robUK wrote:
Hello,

I've been following this thread and I've managed to get the Debian image up and running before running into the

It seems _vito was able to overcome this issue with version 0.5 of ext2fuse. Unfortunately, my linux skills arent sufficient to sort this out.

Thanks - any help is very much appreciated!

Rob

A few people have successfully managed to successfully install and setup their own (eg redbrick one sounds like he has built the ultimate one) without the issues described above. I'm in the process of trying to find time to install one from scratch at the moment as there were issues with uploading the redbrick version.

If anyone has has one hosted on a private ftp please msg me the details so i can download and put it onto a public site.
Message 42 of 188
_vito
Aspirant

robUK wrote:
Hello,

Rob

Yes I did and now I finished copying my data.

I tried also to make another version with alternate ubuntu, but I unsuccessful (me neither linux expert...) and resign.

Let me just clean the working version and switch back it to english (or you can read italian?) then I will share it.

Only one problem, the version did not work with large file size like DVD images (about 5 Giga).

A couple of days...
Message 43 of 188
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

_vito wrote:

Only one problem, the version did not work with large file size like DVD images (about 5 Giga).

😞 I have lots of files greater than 5GB in size. Oh well, it's better than nothing. Hopefully over time data recovery will get better. I don't need it at the moment, but it's nice to have available just in case.
Message 44 of 188
_vito
Aspirant

mdgm wrote:

😞 I have lots of files greater than 5GB in size.

Me too, they are iso created from my DVD collection... it means that I have to copy them again. Anyway I save one of the disks, maybe in future I could recover with a newer VM.

Besides, I finished to clean up the my almost-working VM and I put it on rapishare.

IMPORTANT:
- I AM NOT A LINUX EXPERT, the VM worked with MY PC CONFIGURATION, USE IT AT YOUR OWN RISK!
- I connected the disk to PC SATA controller (no USB) and added it to VM as physical disk (see reade me file inside archive)
- due to SATA disk detach (so you also can try it on your own PC) virtual disk /dev/sdb1 was renamed to /dev/sda1, so I think it will not boot in graphical mode; I added some very simple instruction to tell which is boot-disk and reboot (see reade me file inside archive); please tell me if you know how to fix this issue permanently
- on VM desktop there is another HOWTO file which explain step by step what to do (very detaliled and for low level user).
- again I was NOT ABLE to recover big files (several GB), don't know which is maximum size recoverable
user: readynas
password: readynas
root password: readynas

It is a 16x100Mb files rar archive:
http://rapidshare.com/files/321109760/V ... part01.rar
http://rapidshare.com/files/321134853/V ... part02.rar
http://rapidshare.com/files/321154022/V ... part03.rar
http://rapidshare.com/files/321164032/V ... part04.rar
http://rapidshare.com/files/321215039/V ... part05.rar
http://rapidshare.com/files/321227221/V ... part06.rar
http://rapidshare.com/files/321239350/V ... part07.rar
http://rapidshare.com/files/321252282/V ... part08.rar
http://rapidshare.com/files/321272463/V ... part09.rar
http://rapidshare.com/files/321292098/V ... part10.rar
http://rapidshare.com/files/321306829/V ... part11.rar
http://rapidshare.com/files/321320848/V ... part12.rar
http://rapidshare.com/files/321538591/V ... part13.rar
http://rapidshare.com/files/321565021/V ... part14.rar
http://rapidshare.com/files/321578706/V ... part15.rar
http://rapidshare.com/files/321584543/V ... part16.rar

Please give me your feedback for improving it.
Message 45 of 188
dekkit
Aspirant

- I AM NOT A LINUX EXPERT, the VM worked with MY PC CONFIGURATION, USE IT AT YOUR OWN RISK!

It would appear that we are all Linux newbies 🙂 however as a collective we're getting closer to getting workable solutions. Thank you for sharing this, i'll download and store it more permanently next to the one i did.

if anyone else has created their own vmware image, please share!
Message 46 of 188
acmtn
Aspirant

I have an image that I just built using Debian 5.03 and VM Workstation 7 (thanks for all the postings - very helpful). I built it after getting tired of waiting around for 3 days for L3 tech support to telnet into my Duo - which they never did (it's been offline for over a week trying to work through tech support). Anyway, I just used a SATA-USB hard drive enclosure that I had laying around to house my Drive1 disk. Currently transferring files from that drive to another external USB drive. I will update as to how things go and whether I ran into issues wth files > 4 GB. BTW, the VM does have the VMWare tools installed, so not sure if that is an issue and have not tested it with Player - I have the full version of Workstation.

Update - all files recovered just fine, except the larger ones. It seems that anything over 4Gb would truncate after 1.5Gb copied.
Update 2 - just realized I was copying on to a FAT32 USB disk...let me create a shared folder of the NTFS drive on the host machine.
Update 3 - how sad...didnt make a dfference. Still truncated to 1.5Gb.
Update 4 - tested copying the zipfile to create the VM on my laptop and open the drive = successful. That being said; image is as is - at best I am mediocre with Linux, so don't turn to me for support :). Created a temp ftp site - [removed]. posted single and multipart zip files of VM. Btw, this is on my home Internet connection, so dont look for blazing speeds. I will leave it up for a week or so. VM login info: root/rootadmin, vmuser/vmuser1
Message 47 of 188
pingle
Aspirant

Hi, acmtn.
Just tried to access your ftp as guest for the single part zip file - can't connect - must have left it too late.
Is it possible to reinstate the link for the short term ?
(unless someone else has stored the VM elsewhere 🙂 )
Regards, Peter
Message 48 of 188
acmtn
Aspirant

ok. re-opened.
Message 49 of 188
giob
Aspirant

acmtn,
I just started downloading your image from your ftp, but only at 1 kB/sec!

Or could you upload it somewhere else?

Thanks
Message 50 of 188
Top Contributors
Announcements