× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ReadyNAS Data Recovery - VMware recovery tool

chaps
Aspirant

Hi,

I'm also with Jallamamba... and not sure how to see the disk in Linux?
If someone could explain a little simler (sorry!) that would be great!

Thanks...
Message 76 of 188
dekkit
Aspirant

Using acmtn.vmw.Debian5, plugin your usb disk and once you boot and get to the welcome screen:

1/ Login using the user: vmuser (pw:vmuser1) account
2/ Run the root terminal (the red icon)
3/ Enter the commands at the start of this thread (taking note of other comments raised by people in the forum)

Edit: It will then tell you that it has been mounted but it will seem like the script has stalled but this is normal, you just need to minimise this terminal window.

4/ OPEN a second root terminal
5/ enter the following terminal commands
"cd /mnt"
"cd lvm"
"ls"

Your folders and file should be listed (if all goes well) in this terminal, you can now copy them to another HDD (usb, share etc that you have connected to the VMWare). Be aware there is a 4GB file limit on each filesize (a limitation of the ext2fuse).
Message 77 of 188
Jallamamba
Aspirant

Today I got a step further 🙂
I tried my second disk I have from my ReadyNAS, and with this connected, I managed to write those commands that is on first page of this thread.

But still, I can't find ANY files... :?

So I have figured out that I don't have to install any programs, it was already there, thats good 😎

But when I have done these commands, I tried to go to 'Computer' and click on disk (Generic STORAGE DEVICE), but I get the message:
Unable to mount media. There is probably no media in the drive.

Anyone care to give a stupid man the next step to get to see his files?
Message 78 of 188
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

I believe with the Duo, data recovery using the VMWare tool needs to be done on disk 1 from a X-RAID array.

If your disk 2 is fine, you should be able to boot with that without disk 1 in the NAS.
Message 79 of 188
chaps
Aspirant

I have just installed this R-Stuio software http://www.r-studio.com/ and after scannning it found all my files now I'm just in the process of recovering everything I can get!

I pulled disk 1 out of the DUO and plugged it into an external USB enclosure and all is going good so far...
Message 80 of 188
fbmachines
Guide

chaps wrote:
I have just installed this R-Stuio software http://www.r-studio.com/ and after scannning it found all my files now I'm just in the process of recovering everything I can get!

I pulled disk 1 out of the DUO and plugged it into an external USB enclosure and all is going good so far...

I was wondering if an app like R-Studio would work. Keep us informed. It sounds promising!

What RAID type did you have on your Duo?
I wonder if this would work with X-RAID?
Message 81 of 188
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

fbmachines wrote:

What RAID type did you have on your Duo?
I wonder if this would work with X-RAID?

The Duo is a 2 disk NAS so using X-RAID or RAID-1, all the data would be on disk 1. I don't think on the Duo it'd matter whether X-RAID or RAID-1 is used.

Recovery a three disk or greater X-RAID array could be more complicated.
Message 82 of 188
fbmachines
Guide

mdgm wrote:

The Duo is a 2 disk NAS so using X-RAID or RAID-1, all the data would be on disk 1. I don't think on the Duo it'd matter whether X-RAID or RAID-1 is used.

I wasn't sure if the proprietary X-RAID format could be understood by R-Studio.

mdgm wrote:

It does look a little complicated but it sounds like once you figure out the RAID parameters you can save the profile for future use.
Below is a 3 disk RAID 5 example...
http://www.unformat-unerase.com/Article ... ndex.shtml
Message 83 of 188
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

fbmachines wrote:

I wasn't sure if the proprietary X-RAID format could be understood by R-Studio.

So long as it can read EXT3 volumes using the 16k block size, it should be fine with using disk 1 from two disk X-RAID array.

fbmachines wrote:

mdgm wrote:

It does look a little complicated but it sounds like once you figure out the RAID parameters you can save the profile for future use.
Below is a 3 disk RAID 5 example...
http://www.unformat-unerase.com/Article ... ndex.shtml

I guess so. If someone has used parameters to successfully recover data of a 3 or 4 disk X-RAID array it would be good if he/she could post them.
Message 84 of 188
fbmachines
Guide

mdgm wrote:

So long as it can read EXT3 volumes using the 16k block size, it should be fine with using disk 1 from two disk X-RAID array.

It looks like it can, so that's good news.

mdgm wrote:

I guess so. If someone has used parameters to successfully recover data of a 3 or 4 disk X-RAID array it would be good if he/she could post them.

Agreed.
Message 85 of 188
farazfastian
Aspirant

From past two weeks i've been unsuccessfully trying different things, just found this thread today and have already tried following:

1) RStudio, i've tried this recovery tool but i can't find any of my files on readynas hdd, is there specific process for it?

2) I've also tried acmtn debian vmware and have reached to stage where it says "block size is 16384" but it doesn't show anything after that. Where can i see the my readynas files/folders? Also is there a same process to mount my another usb hdd where i want to copy my readynas data? Plz help me i've zero knowledge of Linux 😞

Many thanks
Message 86 of 188
dekkit
Aspirant

farazfastian wrote:
From past two weeks i've been unsuccessfully trying different things, just found this thread today and have already tried following:

1) RStudio, i've tried this recovery tool but i can't find any of my files on readynas hdd, is there specific process for it?

2) I've also tried acmtn debian vmware and have reached to stage where it says "block size is 16384" but it doesn't show anything after that. Where can i see the my readynas files/folders? Also is there a same process to mount my another usb hdd where i want to copy my readynas data? Plz help me i've zero knowledge of Linux 😞

Many thanks

As mentioned in the earlier posts, you need to have 2 x root terminal windows open:

Terminal 1 - to mount the filestructure of the ReadyNAS drive
Terminal 2 - to navigate around the ReadyNAS filestructure and copy required files (you may need to google some basic linux commands - its similar command line in Windows)

Once you get access to your files, could you help assist the rest of the reads of this thread by taking time to document your exact steps (any screenshots would also be fantastic) - this would be great input into eventually developing a guide for new users who's lost access to their data.
Message 87 of 188
TeknoJnky
Hero

Has anyone considered, or attempted to use the methods to mount nv+/duo drives on a pro, via virtual box ?

ie, take nv+ drives, put in usb cases, all drives into a usb hub, connect to pro, get an applicable VM up in virtual box on the pro, mount the x-raid array ?

I think it would be pretty awesome to see done.

even better would be getting the all the required packages running directly on the pro and mounting (via usb) the x-raid drives directly without a VM.
Message 88 of 188
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

It would be awesome and I have thought a bit about this before, but haven't actively tried to do it. It should work as you should be able to get the VM to see the USB drives. It sounds like a good idea. I guess the challenge would be in trying to transfer the data from the disks onto the Pro without needing to send the data over the network. You would need all disks to be working fine from the X-RAID array except for the parity disk (doesn't matter if this is working fine or not).
Message 89 of 188
EdinhoJr
Aspirant

Hi Guys,
I need some help. I have a D-Link DNS-323 and I bought a ReadyNas DUO to replace it. I had too many troubles with D-Link and because of that I decide to switch them.
So I removed one disk from 323 and insert it into the readynas. I choose FlexRaid 0 with 500GB and left another 500GB to build a RAID 1 volume with both disks. After I copied the files from 323 to neadynas, I move the last disk to readynas.
Then my problems started. The first volume fail (not the disk), I tried to reboot, then readynas remove the partition information from the second disk and finally the readynas died. (So much luck)
So, I tried to move back the second disk into 323 but without success. I want to recover the information but until now I didn't got it. I'd tried the VMware recovery image and the R-Studio.

For VMware image, when I do the command vgscan, it find only the VG used on the VM.

For R-Studio, It finds many partition, but the files are cut and some of them didn't open. I tried to group all partition with 16k block into a virtual volume, but nothing different happens.

Please, I really need some help.

BR
Edson OLIVEIRA
Brazil
Message 90 of 188
EdinhoJr
Aspirant

nobody has any clue??
Message 91 of 188
simtek
Aspirant

Hi, Ive followed this thread and downloaded VM Player and installed in Windows and downloaded Debian 5.0 and Ubuntu images.

Ive followed both instructions but in terminal, I get stuck in the same place for both:

(I have a 2TB drive, [disk2] from X-Raid setup where I imported a corrupt config file, which after rebooting stated 'Volume: DEAD' but both drives are ok. Disk1 has since been formatted before I found out that this process wasn't as simple as a typical end user like myself had expected...

debian-vm:/home/vmplanet# vgscan
Reading all physical volumes. This may take a while...
debian-vm:/home/vmplanet#

I have no reference to 'c' that everyone refers to, and therefore cannot proceed any further with the other commands. please help!

I'm gutted about this whole experience and so surprised that netgear don't have a 'copy and paste' solution.
Message 92 of 188
sushivore
Aspirant

hello everyone;
I am trying also to retrieve the data from a disk coming from my Ready NAS Duo with acmtn Debian release
my readynas duo was on RAID1 . can i use any of the disk ? cause one wont mount.

when i run the 1st terminal i got an error ; "mkdir: cannot create directory `/mnt/lvm': File exists"

vmw:/home/vmuser# modprobe fuse
vmw:/home/vmuser# vgscan
Reading all physical volumes. This may take a while...
Found volume group "c" using metadata type lvm2
Found volume group "vmw.debian5" using metadata type lvm2
vmw:/home/vmuser# vgchange -ay c
1 logical volume(s) in volume group "c" now active
vmw:/home/vmuser# mkdir /mnt/lvm
mkdir: cannot create directory `/mnt/lvm': File exists
vmw:/home/vmuser# ext2fuse /dev/c/c /mnt/lvm

why do i get this error ?

i m stock at this step...
PS i dont understand what Dekkit mean by (take note that your /dev/c may differ)

thx for your help.
Message 93 of 188
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Using X-RAID, disk 2 is the parity disk so for recovery using the VMWare Tool you'll need to use disk 1 (or if you have the necessary skills you may be able to copy the partition table from disk 1 onto disk 2). Not sure what the situation is with RAID-1.
Message 94 of 188
sushivore
Aspirant

i dt think i use X raid. can u see it from the log this archive of my system log file ?
http://buzzby.biz/nas/System_log.zip

thx
Message 95 of 188
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Not sure. I'm not an expert at reading the logs, but you probably are using X-RAID. Unless you chose to use Flex-RAID when setting up your NAS (you do using RAIDar within 10 minutes of first turning NAS on or after a factory default), you would be using X-RAID (I recommend you use X-RAID anyway).

Anyway in xraid_config.log it mentions that you have a parity disk. So using the VMWare tool, disk 2 would be pretty useless for attempting data recovery. I'd suggest if you don't know what you're doing that it'd be better to contact technical support and see if they can help you without needing to use the VMWare tool.
Message 96 of 188
sushivore
Aspirant

ok 😞 thx for u answer, but i dt understand the purpose to use 2 disk, if one is down, and u ct recover ur data from the other one,
i thought it was a miror of the data? i know the readynas is not a back up, but when i was tryin to save my data on usb or from ethernet i had many problems, so unfortunatly i was trustin my nas too much....

about the support, i already contact them, they was useless for my problem, the first thing they told me to do ,it s an hard reset, holding reset 30sec, but that i might lost my data so.... not point to try it.
Message 97 of 188
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

sushivore wrote:

i thought it was a miror of the data?

It is, if you leave the disks in the NAS, say disk 1 fails, disk 2 will still work fine. It's just only disk 1 will work for data recovery.
sushivore wrote:

i know the readynas is not a back up, but when i was tryin to save my data on usb or from ethernet i had many problems, so unfortunatly i was trustin my nas too much....

Yes you should backup your data regularly.
sushivore wrote:

about the support, i already contact them, they was useless for my problem, the first thing they told me to do ,it s an hard reset, holding reset 30sec, but that i might lost my data so.... not point to try it.

The 30 second reset would mean you lose your data. The 5 second reset would not. Start a new thread and post your case number. You should contact support again and ask them to escalate your case.
Message 98 of 188
whywhyme
Aspirant

Hi guys,
I have a DUO. I tried to use the Ubuntu 10.04 live CD to recover my date.
I could mount it using ext2fuse but after doing it, I still can not access the file.

Could someone help, please?
Thank you!

I have a screenshot.
http://tinypic.com/r/11hwegx/6

These are the commands for anyone that is interested in doing it.

sudo apt-get install lvm2

sudo vgchange -ay c

sudo cp /home/ubuntu/ext2fuse/* /bin

mkdir /home/ubuntu/test

sudo ext2fuse -n /dev/c/c -m /home/ubuntu/test
Message 99 of 188
NorDemoniac
Aspirant

How's the image now? Still work in progress?

I still doesn't trust my NAS. I've had three ones that has failed before this one (All readynas duo).

I would like to put a couple of 2TB disks in it, and use it as a DLNA-server, and maybe some backup (need to get familiar with all the weird settings though).
Message 100 of 188
Top Contributors
Announcements