× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ReadyNAS Data Recovery - VMware recovery tool

DTN
Aspirant
Aspirant

Last update:

I managed to get a working situation in Ubuntu as well as in Debian. I can copy all the files from the NAS-disks as long as they're not bigger/larger then 4GB.

Thank you for the help
Message 126 of 188
Agresvig
Aspirant

Hi guys,

My ReadyNAS NVX Pioneer edition gave up recently. I contacted tech support and will get a replacement unit, but I would very much like to recover my data.
Will the procedures outlined in this thread work for my unit?
The problem is I have a lot of files larger than 4GB.

All help appreciated!
Message 127 of 188
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Agresvig no the procedures are different for the NVX Pioneer

Anyway you can migrate your array over to the replacement unit that NetGear sends you.

What firmware was running on the NVX Pioneer when it failed? If you can put a spare disk (not from your array) in the replacement unit and ensure the firmware is at least as up to date as what was on the NVX Pioneer. Then power down, remove the spare disk and migrate your disks across as per http://www.readynas.com/kb/faq/boot/how_do_i_migrate_disks_over_from_an_existing_readynas_to_another
Message 128 of 188
Agresvig
Aspirant

mdgm wrote:
Agresvig no the procedures are different for the NVX Pioneer

Anyway you can migrate your array over to the replacement unit that NetGear sends you.

What firmware was running on the NVX Pioneer when it failed? If you can put a spare disk (not from your array) in the replacement unit and ensure the firmware is at least as up to date as what was on the NVX Pioneer. Then power down, remove the spare disk and migrate your disks across as per http://www.readynas.com/kb/faq/boot/how_do_i_migrate_disks_over_from_an_existing_readynas_to_another

Thank you mdgm for the reply.

However they are issuing a ReadyNAS Pro 4 as a replacement unit (my NVX is no longer in production). The Pro 4 has a 64-bit Intel Atom D510 CPU in it while my dead unit has a 32-bit Intel Tolopai CPU, so if I've understood correctly, the array will not be transferrable to the new unit because of the different architechture.

Correct me if I'm wrong!
Message 129 of 188
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Whilst you're correct about the CPUs used you're wrong about the migration. It would work fine. See your thread: http://www.readynas.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=67678
Message 130 of 188
dekkit
Aspirant

Looks like this thread has generated quite a bit of interest since i last visited.... here is a visual step by step guide that someone has kindly posted on their blog after doing a few google searches.

http://firstpersontroubleshooter.blogsp ... dynas.html
they also include an example on how to check if your usb hdd is being properly detected within the VMware (as mine wasn't).

While I was hoping this day would never come, it appears that I've crashed ReadyNAS duo and in recovery mode. While I turned off the RAID on my 2 disk duo (so each HDD was its own volume eg C and D), the first disk i tried appears to be too corrupted to be mounted properly up in the VMWare (doh!). The commands don't detect anything, even though within the linux vm the partion manager shows my drive and the partitions (with a nice warning flag next to both indicating things aren't quite right!)...

My next steps have been to try out Rstudio's Rtools which has so far been able to detect the files that weren't lost and should be able to pull of most of them (even though most of the stuff is backed up anyway).... just need to find a spare drive large enough to store it all on now.

I'm thinking it might have just been easier if i had just started off with an old laptop and added a few usb NTFS formatted hdds in it, particularly as a windows user - anything that can go wrong with the duo is just so time consuming to fix / rebuild ..but then again moving TBs of data around was always going to be slow.
Message 131 of 188
StephenB
Guru

dekkit wrote:
...I'm thinking it might have just been easier if i had just started off with an old laptop and added a few usb NTFS formatted hdds in it, particularly as a windows user - anything that can go wrong with the duo is just so time consuming to fix / rebuild ..but then again moving TBs of data around was always going to be slow.
Robocopy works pretty well for backing up the NAS up to Windows systems. It is incremental, and also has a mirroring option.
Message 132 of 188
doyley86
Aspirant

Guys I have been struggling with this for months, I have found a simple easier way of restoring all my files using some free software called DiskInternals Linux Reader you can download it free from here: http://www.diskinternals.com/linux-reader/

it finds your drive straight away and allows you to copy off all your data! Hope this helps.

Cheers
Message 133 of 188
dekkit
Aspirant

Thanks for sharing! Will check it out. (i found my corruption was fixed by a reinstall of firmware, the last step before i was going to do a factory default reset.). Rstudio didnt quite get all the files for some reason so luckily my system recovered. will give this a test and see how effective it is in find files and transfering those largee tham 4gig
Message 134 of 188
chirpa
Luminary

doyley86 wrote:
Guys I have been struggling with this for months, I have found a simple easier way of restoring all my files using some free software called DiskInternals Linux Reader you can download it free from here:http://www.diskinternals.com/linux-reader/

it finds your drive straight away and allows you to copy off all your data! Hope this helps.

It may work for some configurations, but not all. Would have to try it with the possible LVM layouts (stock install, expansions, x-raid/flex-raid) and page size (4kb/16kb).
Message 135 of 188
lunchboxaudio
Aspirant

Hi-

Just wanted to drop you a line and thank you for your support files for the ReadyNas Duo.
This is probably the worst piece of gear I've ever owned, and I own a lot of gear.

My DUO failed about 9 months ago and then after a USB Boot Recovery it started again...
A few days ago it crashed again. I wanted to transfer files and possibly throw this NetGear in the trash...
Basically I was getting the slow flashing blue with whirring fan that never resolves issue.
Ultimately, I think this is a problem with the device, not the drive.
NetGear support did reply with very basic steps that I'd already done, but couldn't really help.
So thanks for this forum everyone!

Note: I have not read the entire 9 page thread to see if this is duplicate info, but thought I would share.
I am also not personally into typing into terminals to get things done, but was able to follow the instructions from the original RAR file
(vito.vmw.Ubuntu9.rar) and I had to follow both READ ME files to get to near the end before having to come up with my own ending...
but with limited experience I was able to retrieve my files off the DUO.

As a MAC user, I ran into a few interesting things that I'd like to share but also it may help PC users....
I used a 1TB External USB drive, VM Fusion (which I already owned thankfully!) and an eSata to USB cable for the Duo.

After using the attached RAR file and instructions, I was able to get to the point where the original poster discussed attaching to Windows.
While I have a MAC running Snow Leopard and VMWare Fusion 4 with Windows 7 and RAR file's Ubuntu 9, I wasn't sure why I needed to leave Ubuntu 9 to copy these files.
It seemed unnecessary to involve OSX or WIN...i.e. Couldn't I just attach a drive to Ubuntu and copy the Duo to my USB drive?
Plus, I wasn't even sure I could use those instructions to run to virtual OS of WIN at the same time and attach one drive to one and the other drive to the other...
yeah...

So, I did the following...using the following additional commands...YMMV, but all of this was what finally worked for me.

Once the duo was mounted, I used this command to copy files from the duo to Ubuntu 9 Desktop as a test to check files right on the desktop:
cp -r duo/filefolder /home/readynas/Desktop
(where filefolder is the name of any folder on your Duo - These files came over locked but you can later remove them)

The files looked OK, so then I had to figure out how to mount the External USB drive.
I used this command to create a directory in Ubuntu to mount the external USB drive:
sudo mkdir /media/externalUSB
(where externalUSB was what I decided to call my external drive directory in Ubuntu)

After much experimentation, I found that I could mount the USB drive in read only on Ubuntu 9 but not write to it...
So, found the following code allowed me write access to my external drive:
mount -o force /dev/sdc2 /media/externalUSB
(where /dev/sdc2 was the name of the external drive in Ubuntu under System -> Admin -> Disk Utility)

Now with disc mounted, and write control, this command allowed me to copy the entire drive to my external USB drive:
cp -r duo /media/externalUSB

After a few hours...all of my files have copied safely to my new external USB drive and all was accomplished within VMWare running Ubuntu 9.

Also, as noted above, I found that when I copied the file folders previously in my test, it left locked folders on the desktop that could not be moved to the trash folder.
This command removed them:
rm -r /home/readynas/Desktop/filefolder

--------
I hope all of these notes help another person transfer files off their ReadyNas...

Thanks,
Rich @ Lunchbox Audio
lunchboxaudio.com
Message 136 of 188
bmorden
Aspirant

I would also like to add my experience with a failed Duo to this forum.
I was given a ReadyNAS Duo by my business partner. He said it had failed, he couldn't read the discs and one was probably not OK.
Couldn't get the Duo to work on another drive until I swapped the memory over. Two discs also seems problematical, although it is a little hard to tell - The duo isn't very talkative on how it is getting on 🙂
I did notice the fan altered speed when the discs were accessed, so I am wondering about the power supply.
I will be talking to Netgear to see if they can help, although it is out of warranty - perhaps it is in the duff batch.

I then installed the linux image and VM, which installed and worked really well, except it couldn't see a partition.
data recovery by easeus also didn't work, but took a very long time. (I had purchased a full copy previously)
I then tried easeus partition manager/recovery - which was free and it found a NTFS partiton left over from a previous use in a PC and two deleted EXT3 partitions - one small at the front of the disk and obviously a linux instal, and the other was large and looked full of Appley files.
I think the NTFS partition records confused the data recovery software . Anyway it took 30 minutes to rebuild the large EXT3 partition, and then Sysinternals Linux Reader happily read it and offered to copy the files.
Extracted one of the video files and it seems to be fine, so I have left the owner to move the files he wants off the drive - mainly unedited holiday video footage.
So Consider the possibility the partion is there - just the records of it are gone, and that new software might make life easy.

Hope this helps
Message 137 of 188
rob_nelson
Aspirant

doyley86 wrote:
Guys I have been struggling with this for months, I have found a simple easier way of restoring all my files using some free software called DiskInternals Linux Reader you can download it free from here:http://www.diskinternals.com/linux-reader/

Cheers

Thanks for this recommendation. Linux Reader worked perfectly for me. After removing the drive from my Duo and connecting it via USB, I was able to access the files within minutes. It even worked with large files (5-10GB), which supposedly could not be transferred with some of the other recovery methods.
Message 138 of 188
smgoma1
Aspirant

rob_nelson wrote:
doyley86 wrote:

Cheers

Thanks for this recommendation. Linux Reader worked perfectly for me. After removing the drive from my Duo and connecting it via USB, I was able to access the files within minutes. It even worked with large files (5-10GB), which supposedly could not be transferred with some of the other recovery methods.

Just want to note that McAfee warned against the download when I tried to download it.
Message 139 of 188
drew138
Aspirant

Does this also work on drives in an NV?
Message 140 of 188
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

It should the Infrant ReadyNAS NV is another Sparc NAS.
Message 141 of 188
martinjochimsen
Aspirant

doyley86 wrote:

Cheers

While waiting for the Ubuntu vmware image to download, I scrolled through the thread and found this post with the link to linux reader.
AMAZING!!!!
I have for weeks been fighting to get access to my disk after I made an upgrade on my ReadyNAS Duo.
I was beginning to loose hope and I thought I would give linux reader a shot (it wouldn't probably work anyway), but.....now I'm backing up everything form my disk.
Have saved more than 30 GB and still no error messages.
Thank you so much for this tip!!!!

Martin 🙂
Message 142 of 188
jplaville
Tutor

Please help me.
If i virtualise the debain 5 image (the first in the post), it is ok.
But after in terminal of this image :
modprobe fuse
Nothing, but OK !?
vgscan
Reading all physcial volumes. This may take a while...
Found volume group "vmw.debian5" using metadata type lvm2
OK !?
vgchange -ay c
Volume group "c" not found
if i enter :
vgchange -ay vmw.debian5
6 logical volume(s) in volume group "vmw.debian5" now active
OK !?
mkdir /mnt/lvm
mkdir: cannot creat directory '/mnt/lvm/': File exists
rmdir and mkdir again.
OK !?
ext2fuse /dev/c/c /mnt/lvm
fuse-ext2fs: No such file or directory while trying to open /dev/c/c
And nothing...
If i enter :
ext2fuse /dev/sdb3 /mnt/lvm
fuse-ext2fs: Bad magic number in super-block while trying to open /dev/sdb3
(Because sdb3 is my partition to recovery).
Message 143 of 188
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Were you using X-RAID or Flex-RAID?
Message 144 of 188
jplaville
Tutor

mdgm wrote:
Were you using X-RAID or Flex-RAID?

Thanks for your answer.
I am not sure. I don't remember.
What is the different with this tuto ?
NB : I have a Readynas duo (SPARC), 1 partition with RAID0 et 1 partition with RAID1.
I want recovery only the RAID1 partition.
Message 145 of 188
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Ah, Flex-RAID. That uses a custom mdconfig. So if you find a way to start the md devices you could then recover your data.
Message 146 of 188
jplaville
Tutor

mdgm wrote:
Ah, Flex-RAID. That uses a custom mdconfig. So if you find a way to start the md devices you could then recover your data.

If i have Flex-RAID, what should I do ?
Message 147 of 188
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

I'm not sure. All the guides for mounting Sparc arrays that I can recall refer to mounting X-RAID arrays.
Message 148 of 188
jplaville
Tutor

mdgm wrote:
I'm not sure. All the guides for mounting Sparc arrays that I can recall refer to mounting X-RAID arrays.

It is dead if i have flex-raid !?
Message 149 of 188
DougChandler
Aspirant

Hi,

I just wanted to say thanks to all the great suggestions in this topic and to document my experience when my power supply failed.
Firstly I have an NV (from Infrant) which I bought from eBay several years ago, then the power supply failed about 2 years ago and I contacted Netgear as it was one of the ones that there were concerns about the power supply. Despite buying from eBay, Netgear actually replaced the PSU and I was up and running again within a week.
All good until about a month ago I turned off the NV as we were going away (and disabled the power schedule) and when I came back and turned it on again, nothing 😞 I contacted Netgear but the response this time was that because I bought it from eBay they could not do anything (I guess it depends who picks up the support ticket), but after doing a bit of reading through topics like this one I bought a couple of power extension cables (20-pin and 4-pin) and rewired it for the NV, then using one of the PCs I have, I plugged in my adapter cable to tried to fire up the NV. This worked on the second PSU I tried (not sure why the first didn't though), but the NV was stuck in a continuous reboot cycle (not sure why it was doing that either), so I thought I would try getting the data off as I already had an NV+ v2 (again bought from eBay and 2 x 3TB disks fitted) but never configured. I tried connecting disk 1 to a USB disk caddy I had and tried LinuxReader and R-Linux but neither would see any data. So I tried attaching the drive directly to a PC and hey presto! I then spent the next three days copying data using LinuxReader at first but then R-Linux to the new NV+ v2 (both PC and NV+ v2 connected to gigabit switch). The network throughput was not as great as I had hoped, achieving at most peaks of 25% of 1Gbps. I don't know whether the bottleneck was reading from the drive, interpreting EXT3, the network, or the NAS, but anyway it is done now.
Some thoughts on the two programs, LinuxReader is good and managed to read the disks but failed on several files, I assume through the path length being too great or something. And when I tried to recopy the files to see if there was anything missing, if there were duplicate files, it simply copied the second copy as <name>_1 with no option to overwrite, skip, etc. R-Linux is a far superior program which has these options to overwrite or skip if a file already exists, and it will preserve hidden file attributes and security. But if like me you are restoring to a network location such as \\nas\media it will complain that the folder does not exist and would you like to create it, if you say yes it does actually do what it is supposed to. The other annoying thing about R-Linux is if you say skip files if they exist, it writes each entry to the log and with a maximum of 10000 lines in the log if you are copying a lot of files as I was >200,000 files the log entries will get lost so I had to do a comparison of the file directories after the copy to validate everything was copied.
I would definitely recommend R-Linux to anyone attempting to recover files from their broken NAS, it has saved my life. Now to see about repairing the PSU in my NV...
Message 150 of 188
Top Contributors
Announcements