× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ReadyNAS Data Recovery - VMware recovery tool

jackal1
Aspirant

bmorden wrote:

I then tried easeus partition manager/recovery - which was free and it found a NTFS partiton left over from a previous use in a PC and two deleted EXT3 partitions - one small at the front of the disk and obviously a linux instal, and the other was large and looked full of Appley files.
I think the NTFS partition records confused the data recovery software . Anyway it took 30 minutes to rebuild the large EXT3 partition, and then Sysinternals Linux Reader happily read it and offered to copy the files.
Hope this helps

I have tried all the VM methods but failed. (vgscan couldn't detect any volume in my case)

However, bmorden's method worked for me. Here's how I did it in Windows with a USB sata cable:

1. Run the free easeus partition recovery tool.
2. Run the complete scan by using sector range (put sector range as 1 - 1000000. Should take about only 5 min. Without the range, it takes hours! to complete the scan)
3. It should detect the 'c' volume. Double click to explore and make sure it is ALL the data you need.
4. Then proceed to recover the partition.
5. Run Sysinternals Linux Reader and recover all the files needed from the 'c' volume. (this may take some time)

That's it! All the best!

Thanks bmorden!
Message 151 of 188
manoj1
Aspirant

Hi All,

I just found out my READYNAS, having an issue, is the one from Infrant (no support from NETGEAR now). It suddenly wouldn't boot. I tried doing a memory test using available documentation from the NETGEAR support documents for newer products and my disk lights for #2 and #4 are solid green, while lights #1 and #3 do not light up. Any work arounds or means to get my data out.

Thanks.
Message 152 of 188
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

What Infrant model do you have manoj?

What is the LED on the power button doing?
Message 153 of 188
manoj1
Aspirant

The problem is I cannot figure out what the model is. It just says READYNAS/ INSTANT STORAGE on the front panel. Netgear just said that it was an Infrant product and have no idea about the model etc. I inherited this so I have no clue.

When I try to reboot by skipping the disk check, the power button blinks continuously while the 4 disk LEDs flash intermittently and never light up solid even after 3-4 days.

Manoj
Message 154 of 188
StephenB
Guru

Does it look like this?

Message 155 of 188
manoj1
Aspirant

Looks like the black one, but I have green lights and the "Ready" is in grey, not red. Link to picture of my device below:

This picture was taken after the memory test.
Message 156 of 188
StephenB
Guru

The one on the top is a ReadyNAS 600.

I don't know the significance of the LED colors and the READY in grey.
Message 157 of 188
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

manoj wrote:

This picture was taken after the memory test.

So the power LED was on solid?

Do you remember what version of RAIDiator was on this 600?

Did you follow the procedure described here?: http://www.readynas.com/kb/faq/boot/how_do_i_use_the_boot_menu#duonvnvx6600

Turn the NAS on, pressing and holding the POWER button for about 25 seconds (5 blinks of the disk LEDs) then release the power button. Do NOT press the RESET button.

Note that the boot menu did change in RAIDiator 4.x, so if running older firmware you might need to hold the power button for a blink or two less of the disk LEDs to trigger the memory test.

In RAIDiator 4.x Frontview (web-admin interface of the ReadyNAS) was changed to have NETGEAR colours and branding.
Message 158 of 188
manoj1
Aspirant

I did the following:

1. Held the power button for 5 LED blinks. The first 4 blinks were at a certain frequency and the 5th one took longer to come on. I released the power button at this point and disk LEDs #2 and #4 light up solid green. The power LED was rapidly blinking green. Disk LEDs #1 and #3 are off.

2. Held the power button for 4 LED blinks. I released the power button at this point and disk LED #4 lights up solid green. The power LED was rapidly blinking green. Disk LEDs #1, #2 and #3 are off.

I don't remeber the RAIDiator version this was on.
Message 159 of 188
manoj1
Aspirant

From the online link, I see that this implies I do a tftp boot. Does anyone have instructions on how to do this for this device?

Thanks.
Message 160 of 188
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

manoj is this a 600 rev A or rev B?

If it's a Rev A you could remove the CF card and rawrite the firmware onto the CF card

Do you use Windows or Mac?

Do you remember what firmware you were running on the 600? Did the colours look something like this?: http://www.readynas.com/simulators/frontview/home.htm

Or were you running an older version that was Infrant branded?
Message 161 of 188
manoj1
Aspirant

Is there an easy way to tell Rev A or B apart?

I use a Mac OSX 10.6

The colors for the admin page looked different, I don't remember the dark blue colors, although memory can be fickle. I had used that page only once to run fscheck on disks.

Thanks.
Message 162 of 188
manoj1
Aspirant

I took the disk out to retrive my data. After installing macfuse and fuse-ext and mounting the disk, it shows me the total disk space as 2GB. It's a 1 TB disk. And I only see install software on it, like front view etc. Is there some trick to seeing the remaining data on the disk.

Thanks.
Message 163 of 188
StephenB
Guru

You are seeing the OS partition. I'm not a Mac user, so I can't help on the main issue.
Message 164 of 188
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

You will need lvm2

Sounds like your system may have been running RAIDiator 3 or earlier from what you've said.

If you put a spare disk (must not be from your array) and do a factory default and if it manages to complete booting what firmware is it running (don't update the firmware yet)?

Are your disks front loading or top loading?: http://www.readynas.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=156408#p156408
Message 165 of 188
manoj1
Aspirant

Okay thanks. I'll try lvm2.

My disks are top loading.
Message 166 of 188
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Are you sure you have a v2 even after reading this article?: http://www.rnasguide.com/2012/01/09/how-to-tell-whether-i-have-a-duo-v1-or-duo-v2-or-nv-v1-or-nv-v2/

Are you using Flex-RAID RAID-1 or X-RAID?
Message 167 of 188
petoulachi
Aspirant

Hello,

Using a ReadyNAS V1 and Windows 8.1, which vm image would you recommand to recover my data?

My NAS is unavaible. Using Raidar, I can see it stuck in booting, or file checking, it depends. I've tried an OS reinstall (not a full wipe) with no success : now it is stuck in booting, but the IP configuration have been reset (new IP from my DHCP server instead of the fixed IP). So now, I want to recover data, and try to do a full reset then.

Regards,
Message 168 of 188
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

It doesn't sound like your NAS is dead, so I don't think I'd turn to using the VM just yet.

You may have a bad disk. Have you tried powering down the NAS and checking the disks e.g. using SeaTools if they are SeaGate disks.

Have you tried contacting support?
Message 169 of 188
petoulachi
Aspirant

I have contacted support yes, still no answer for now. I'll check the disk now and see (WD).

Oh and, reinstalling the OS with only one disk (disk 1) on it had taken a lots a time but finally work. For a few minutes I was able to see my NAS again. Could'nt get all the data on it though.

I'm going to check disk 2. If it's all good, could I put it back on the NAS, remove disk 1, and try to boot the NAS with disk 2 ?
Message 170 of 188
petoulachi
Aspirant

Disk 2 pass tests successfully however disk 1 failed !

So i've tried to put only disk 2 on the NAS and boot it. Still no access ? Raidar says "checking file system, 100 %"... I'm waiting a few hours to see if the NAS finally comes up, maybe it needs a resync or something, but I'm surprised I still cannot access it.
Message 171 of 188
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Were you using X-RAID?

Disk 2 is the parity disk (has no partition table on it).

You may wish to contact support.
Message 172 of 188
petoulachi
Aspirant

I don't know what was used (X Raid or not), it's not my ReadyNAS.

Support finally answered me, as the ReadyNAS is not under warranty they won't help me. What can I do ?
Message 173 of 188
petoulachi
Aspirant

Well, doing a OS Reinstall again with only Disk 2 allows me to access my NAS again ! I'm backing up the rest of data, I hope it could complete this time !

edit : and I've just checked, disks are in X-Raid indeed
Message 174 of 188
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Well you've got a better chance of it working with disk 2 than with disk 1.
Message 175 of 188
Top Contributors
Announcements