× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS424 Network was compromised and hacker changed password info

Jezzzero99
Aspirant

ReadyNAS424 Network was compromised and hacker changed password info

My network was compromised and it appears that the hacker changed the password information on my NAS drive.  I cannot access it through the network shortcuts I created on my Windows 10 Pro computers. I have unplugged the drive from the network for several weeks now. 

My question is if I eject my drives from the NAS (they were formatted using my RN424 NAS drive in which they are currently in) and then reboot the NAS and do some manufacturer reset so that I may obtain access to it again, then reinsert my drives, will the NAS recognize them and will everything go back to the way it was before this disturbing incident happened?

I need to access the data on these drives.

Please advise. Netgear won't even so much as answer that question because I'm not within the warranty period.  Ugh! Please help!

Thank you in advance!

Markus

Message 1 of 2
StephenB
Guru

Re: ReadyNAS424 Network was compromised and hacker changed password info

@Jezzzero99 wrote:

My question is if I eject my drives from the NAS (they were formatted using my RN424 NAS drive in which they are currently in) and then reboot the NAS and do some manufacturer reset so that I may obtain access to it again, then reinsert my drives, will the NAS recognize them and will everything go back to the way it was before this disturbing incident happened?

No, that method won't accomplish anything.  The factory default/reset formats the disks and then installs the OS and ReadyNAS application on the drives.  It does nothing with no disks installed.

You can do an OS reinstall from the NAS front panel - that will

• reset the NAS admin password back to password.  
  • reset the NIC to use DHCP with no bonding
  • disable volume quota (which can be re-enabled from the volume wheel settings).

The process is described on pages 97-98 here: https://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/READYNAS-100/ReadyNAS_%20OS6_Desktop_HM_EN.pdf

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements