× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Readynas 6.10.9 How to manually update IO::Socket:SSL for Logitech Media Server (or other purposes)

Jophus
Luminary

Readynas 6.10.9 How to manually update IO::Socket:SSL for Logitech Media Server (or other purposes)

So Netgear have dropped all support for Readynas, leaving us on a poor version of Debian 8 Jessie, which is no longer supported. As of 6.10.10  app install functionality has been removed.

I use my ReadyNAS 316 for LMS and Plex. I installed both by the app upload feature on the ReadyNAS App page via a web browser. Plex has a webpage app control. LMS doesn't. The latest 8.4.0 of Logitech Media Server doesn't have a widget and as such root SSH can control systemctl stop/start/restart logitechmediaserver.

I ran into a problem where I could no longer perform an update check for LMS via its settings web page (https://localip:9000). Searching on the Slimserver forums yielded info that IO::Socket::SSL 2.002 on Readynas is too old and doesn't support access to servers which are expecting modern standards.

mysqueezebox.com is closing 12 years AFTER they stopped selling Squeezebox products (that's good support!) - Access to Tidal, Deezer and Pandora are now in jeopardy. Running a local LMS server and using plugins to access streaming (Spotify and Qobuz) are options, with the hope that some enterprising coder can invent working plugins for those services which rely on mysqueezebox.com for authentication.

Anyway, I needed to update SSL to a modern version (shout out to Mark W on the Slimserver forums for this).

This worked for me on my Readynas 316 on 6.10.9. I make no warranties or guarantees on whether this will work for you. I last used 'make' in about 1999 on a Redhat distribution. I know basic linux and google a lot to find out how to navigate and do things via the command line. I have a working understanding...

Step 1: SSH into your NAS as root - you'll be in your home dir.

Step 2: Install make if you haven't got it (i didn't)

apt-get install make

Step 3: download a version of IO::Socket::SSL which you'd like to use (I chose 2.083) into your root home dir

wget https://cpan.metacpan.org/authors/id/S/SU/SULLR/IO-Socket-SSL-2.083.tar.gz

Step 4: extract it

tar -xf IO-Socket-SSL-2.083.tar.gz

Step 5: run the following commands to make it

perl Makefile.PL
make
make test
make install

Step 6: start (or restart) logitechmediaserver

systemctl restart logitechmediaserver

Proof in the pudding!

Screenshot 2024-02-07 123554.png

I did an update check and it found the latest build!

YMMV. Good luck.

Message 1 of 1
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 0 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 1 in conversation
Announcements