× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Readynas 6 static routes

2ndNAS
Apprentice

Readynas 6 static routes

I bought a second-hand rn312 server with 2 LAN connectors, and so does my existing rn202. Can they be used in a small network?

One purpose might be "transmit load balance" that does'nt require any special switch support. Or perhaps the server backup jobs could use a direct connection between the 2 servers?

The SW manual has a description "Configure Static Routes" that looks interesting, but if a direct connection (eth1-eth1) is valid then what do I write in the Network->Advanced->Routes->Gateway field?

Thanks in advance...

Message 1 of 2

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: Readynas 6 static routes

Better not to use this mechanism, unless you really understand what you are doing with them.   Setting these up incorrectly will result in failed connections (either on your local network, or to internet services like NTP).

@2ndNAS wrote:

One purpose might be "transmit load balance" that does'nt require any special switch support. 

You can set that up without static routes. Select a NIC, choose "Settings" and then "new bond".

Bonding (whatever type) generally doesn't improve performance much on most home networks.  It works best when there are a lot of clients simultaneously accessing the NAS.  If you only have a couple of clients doing that, then it usually isn't worth the trouble.

@2ndNAS wrote:

Or perhaps the server backup jobs could use a direct connection between the 2 servers?

While I think this could be done, I don't think you'd see much performance gain here either.  Incremental backups generally don't take very long (and mine are scheduled for off-hours anyway).

To answer your gateway question:  The gateway IP address has to be on the same subnet as the IP address assigned to the NIC.  If you are using the same subnet for the dedicated backup NICS as you are using with your router, then the gateway should be set to the router IP on the dedicated NICS.  If you are assigning static addresses that are not on the router subnet, then I suggest setting the gateway to the address of the destination NIC.  

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 2

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

Re: Readynas 6 static routes

Better not to use this mechanism, unless you really understand what you are doing with them.   Setting these up incorrectly will result in failed connections (either on your local network, or to internet services like NTP).

@2ndNAS wrote:

One purpose might be "transmit load balance" that does'nt require any special switch support. 

You can set that up without static routes. Select a NIC, choose "Settings" and then "new bond".

Bonding (whatever type) generally doesn't improve performance much on most home networks.  It works best when there are a lot of clients simultaneously accessing the NAS.  If you only have a couple of clients doing that, then it usually isn't worth the trouble.

@2ndNAS wrote:

Or perhaps the server backup jobs could use a direct connection between the 2 servers?

While I think this could be done, I don't think you'd see much performance gain here either.  Incremental backups generally don't take very long (and mine are scheduled for off-hours anyway).

To answer your gateway question:  The gateway IP address has to be on the same subnet as the IP address assigned to the NIC.  If you are using the same subnet for the dedicated backup NICS as you are using with your router, then the gateway should be set to the router IP on the dedicated NICS.  If you are assigning static addresses that are not on the router subnet, then I suggest setting the gateway to the address of the destination NIC.  

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements