× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Readynas Ultra 4 Plus OS6 and RAM Upgrade Question

skim32
Tutor

Readynas Ultra 4 Plus OS6 and RAM Upgrade Question

I have been putting off upgrade my NAS to OS6.  But I am now just getting sick of having to enable old ciphers and smb 1 to access my NAS.  I have a couple of questions.

1. Can OS6 be installed with just 1gb of RAM?  I've read online that some people have issues running with 1GB. Others say it works.

2. 2gb vs 4gb. Is it worth going 4gbs?  Are there addons on OS6 worth running that run well on the Ultra 4 plus that could benefit from 4gb?

3. Any RAM compatibility issues to be aware of when purchasing? As long as it is DDR2 SODIMM, should it work? I've been reading people confirming certain models, but has anyone came across a module that doesn't work or a type of module that doesn't work?

4. The procedure to upgrade to OS6.  The ones I could find are really old and from old threads.  Anyone know if it is still valid today? https://community.netgear.com/t5/Using-your-ReadyNAS-in-Business/OS6-now-works-on-x86-Legacy-WARNING...

5. Anyone know which version is optimal for the ReadyNAS Ultra 4 Plus?  Like should I upgrade to a specific version? Or do people just upgrade to the latest version when it becomes available?

6. And lastly any known issues or things I should look out for when upgrading.  (I already know that I will lose data and I have it all backed up already).

Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

@skim32 wrote:

1. Can OS6 be installed with just 1gb of RAM?  I've read online that some people have issues running with 1GB. Others say it works.

Originally people found it worked ok with 1 GB.  As time as gone on, the memory footprint has gone up.  While it's possible it will work with 1 GB, I've been recommending that people upgrade to at least 2 GB.  That matches some x86 OS-6 NAS (for instance the RN424).

I suggest upgrading the RAM before you convert the NAS.

@skim32 wrote:

2. 2gb vs 4gb. Is it worth going 4gbs?  Are there addons on OS6 worth running that run well on the Ultra 4 plus that could benefit from 4gb?

Plex can use a lot of memory, so if you are interested in that one, then I would go with 4 GB. 

@skim32 wrote:

3. Any RAM compatibility issues to be aware of when purchasing? As long as it is DDR2 SODIMM, should it work? I've been reading people confirming certain models, but has anyone came across a module that doesn't work or a type of module that doesn't work?

You are looking for 200-Pin SODIMM PC2-6400 memory.  I believe only the NAS only has one memory slot.

There are a lot of 2 GB modules out there, generally for $10-$15 USD.  4 GB modules seem to cost about $75 USD.

Note I don't own an Ultra 4 Plus, so it would be wise to open it up and double-check this info.

@skim32 wrote:

4. The procedure to upgrade to OS6.  The ones I could find are really old and from old threads.  Anyone know if it is still valid today? https://community.netgear.com/t5/Using-your-ReadyNAS-in-Business/OS6-now-works-on-x86-Legacy-WARNING...

That's a really long thread. FWIW, I generally repost the instructions whenever someone asks about it. Current instructions are:

(Optionally) make sure the latest BIOS is installed before you do the conversion.  To do this you install  http://www.readynas.com/download/addons/x86/4.2/BIOS_Update_Package_0.5-x86.bin as an add-on and reboot the NAS.  Do this after you backup the NAS.  This isn't necessary, but if you do want to update the bios it is easiest to do it prior to conversion

Basic instructions for the conversion itself are

1. BACKUP, BACKUP, BACKUP
  2. Upload PREPR4TOR6_0.1-x86.bin as an add-on using the ReadyNAS web gui, but do not reboot afterwards (avoids the need to do manual factory resets)
  3. Upload R4toR6_6.9.5.bin using the ReadyNAS web gui firmware update
  4. After you upload the addon+firmware and reboot, it will update the firmware and start a factory default.
  5. Go through the setup process on the converted NAS 
  6. Update the NAS to the current OS 6 (check for updates will work).
  7. Restore files from the backup.

Netgear won't provide paid support on a converted NAS, so that is one consideration.  There is a small risk that the process could fail, and if that were to happen it might not be possible to get the NAS running again. There have been some recent cases where the VPD was corrupted, which essentially bricked the NAS - so far the mods have repaired them remotely (a very nice courtesy on their part).

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 8

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

@skim32 wrote:

Originally people found it worked ok with 1 GB.  As time as gone on, the memory footprint has gone up.  While it's possible it will work with 1 GB, I've been recommending that people upgrade to at least 2 GB.  That matches some x86 OS-6 NAS (for instance the RN424).

I suggest upgrading the RAM before you convert the NAS.

@skim32 wrote:

Plex can use a lot of memory, so if you are interested in that one, then I would go with 4 GB. 

@skim32 wrote:

You are looking for 200-Pin SODIMM PC2-6400 memory.  I believe only the NAS only has one memory slot.

There are a lot of 2 GB modules out there, generally for $10-$15 USD.  4 GB modules seem to cost about $75 USD.

Note I don't own an Ultra 4 Plus, so it would be wise to open it up and double-check this info.

@skim32 wrote:

That's a really long thread. FWIW, I generally repost the instructions whenever someone asks about it. Current instructions are:

(Optionally) make sure the latest BIOS is installed before you do the conversion.  To do this you install  http://www.readynas.com/download/addons/x86/4.2/BIOS_Update_Package_0.5-x86.bin as an add-on and reboot the NAS.  Do this after you backup the NAS.  This isn't necessary, but if you do want to update the bios it is easiest to do it prior to conversion

Basic instructions for the conversion itself are

1. BACKUP, BACKUP, BACKUP
  2. Upload PREPR4TOR6_0.1-x86.bin as an add-on using the ReadyNAS web gui, but do not reboot afterwards (avoids the need to do manual factory resets)
  3. Upload R4toR6_6.9.5.bin using the ReadyNAS web gui firmware update
  4. After you upload the addon+firmware and reboot, it will update the firmware and start a factory default.
  5. Go through the setup process on the converted NAS 
  6. Update the NAS to the current OS 6 (check for updates will work).
  7. Restore files from the backup.

Netgear won't provide paid support on a converted NAS, so that is one consideration.  There is a small risk that the process could fail, and if that were to happen it might not be possible to get the NAS running again. There have been some recent cases where the VPD was corrupted, which essentially bricked the NAS - so far the mods have repaired them remotely (a very nice courtesy on their part).

Message 2 of 8
skim32
Tutor

Thank you for the quick response.  I am about to buy a 2gb stick off ebay.  The more I thought of it, I don't plan on using PLEX or any addons for the most part.  And seeing how old this thing is, I don't think I want to invest $70 into it just so I can do plex.  I do have one last question, I've been seeing some people saying they are running MemTest on their memory.  Do you happen to know of a procedure to do this directly on the Readynas Ultra 4?  Or do people have DDR2 laptop on hand to test the memory?

Message 3 of 8
StephenB
Guru

@skim32 wrote:

I do have one last question, I've been seeing some people saying they are running MemTest on their memory.  Do you happen to know of a procedure to do this directly on the Readynas Ultra 4?  

See pages 21-22 here: https://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/RNDU2000/ReadyNAS_Ultra_UltraPlus_NVX_Pro_HW_en_8July11....

The result is displayed on the LCD screen.

Message 4 of 8
skim32
Tutor

Thanks again for you response.  Last question. When choosing a memory  module, do you know if the Rank matters?  I've read some people stating dual rank doesn't work.  Some say it does.  I am not sure if it's model specific as some of the forum posts doesn't specify.

Message 5 of 8
StephenB
Guru

@skim32 wrote:

Last question. When choosing a memory  module, do you know if the Rank matters?  I've read some people stating dual rank doesn't work.  Some say it does.  I am not sure if it's model specific as some of the forum posts doesn't specify.

Sorry, I don't know if that is an issue with the Ultra 4 Plus (or not).

Message 6 of 8
Sandshark
Sensei

All I can say is that the modules I've used have all been single rank (1RX8) 2GB modules.  I've used different manufacturers (ASINT, Hynix, and ADATA for sure, probably others, some used some new) and have had no problems based on brand.  Folks swear by Crucial, but I've never found the need to pay a premium for that.

Message 7 of 8
skim32
Tutor

Thanks for the reply.  I was a little concerned that dual rank wouldn't work.  I saw some people state that dual rank didn't work on theirs (may not have been an Ultra Plus though).  I actually ended up buying a dual rank Kingston module off ebay for under $5 and it worked just fine.  Memory test passed 8 passes with no errors.  Time for me to upgrade today.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements