× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Revert New Volume creation

reyii
Aspirant

Revert New Volume creation

Hello Community, 

I accidentally created a new volume through the admin web portal on a HDD that was part of my ReadyNAS, and now I can't access the files stored on that HDD anymore.

ReadyNAS model 214, OS version 6.10.8

Can I revert those changes made when I clicked "create a new volume"? I'm hoping that will restore the original structure and give me access to the files again.

SATA 8TiB Disk is the one affected. See screenshot attached.

Screenshot 2023-05-19 102136.jpg

Any help is much appreciated.

Rei.

Message 1 of 11

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

@reyii wrote:

no RAID, this was a HDD formatted on another systems and was a NTFS regular partition on it.

ReadyNAS saw it initially as a disk that needed a new partition, or didn't quite understood what was there and presented it like a HDD that needs formatting. I only clicked on "new volume" and seem like ReadyNAS wrote that on it, now I can't see the data when I put the disk on the other Linux/Windows Server.

What happened is expected behavior, the NAS always destroys the disk content when create a volume.

You could try NTFS data recovery software, and see if it can get the data back.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 11

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

Can you give some more detals on what you did?

• Did you originally have a RAID-1 (mirrored) volume?  
  • Or did you destroy a jbod volume that was on the disk before?
  • Or something else?
Message 2 of 11
reyii
Aspirant

no RAID, this was a HDD formatted on another systems and was a NTFS regular partition on it.

ReadyNAS saw it initially as a disk that needed a new partition, or didn't quite understood what was there and presented it like a HDD that needs formatting. I only clicked on "new volume" and seem like ReadyNAS wrote that on it, now I can't see the data when I put the disk on the other Linux/Windows Server.

Message 3 of 11
StephenB
Guru

@reyii wrote:

What happened is expected behavior, the NAS always destroys the disk content when create a volume.

You could try NTFS data recovery software, and see if it can get the data back.

Message 4 of 11
reyii
Aspirant

I have no experience using NTFS recovery products, could you name a couple good options ?

thank you for taking the time to help Stephen 😃

Message 5 of 11
StephenB
Guru

@reyii wrote:

I have no experience using NTFS recovery products, could you name a couple good options ?

I don't have any recent experience either, so hopefully others will chime in.

Most of them seem to have a free download, so you can see what can be recovered before paying.

A couple I see (not recommendations, just google search results) are

Message 6 of 11
Sandshark
Sensei

FYI, you cannot put a drive containing files from some other type of unit into a ReadyNAS and access the files.  That's why you were presented with that option.  The prompt should have let you know you were destroying any existing files.

Message 7 of 11
reyii
Aspirant

I didn't had to click "destroy" the volume. There was an option to create a "new volume" and I took the risk and click it hoping I was going to access the files, but there was no warning or message sadly for me. The GUI should've warned me, I lost many years of history. Now I'm using https://dmde.com/ trying to recover as much as possible. I learned the hard way 😞

Message 8 of 11
Sandshark
Sensei

You weren't destroying a volume.  The drive contained no volume the NAS recognized.  So, you were creating a new volume.  But the pop-up for volume creation does normally warn that the action will destroy, overwrite, or some words to that effect, any existing data.  The manual most certainly also warns of that.

Yep, you took a huge risk and lost.  In the future, if the prompts and/or manual are unclear, come here before you make what could be a bad choice and we can help you make the right one.

At least you created a new volume instead of adding it to a RAID.  That would have completely overwritten the drive.

Message 9 of 11
reyii
Aspirant

If I delete that last volume created, would I get the original partition state back? (doubt it, but had to ask)

Message 10 of 11
StephenB
Guru

@reyii wrote:

If I delete that last volume created, would I get the original partition state back? 

No.

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements