× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Share your successful ReadyNAS hardware setup

yoh-dah
Guide

Share your successful ReadyNAS hardware setup

Please post your successful hardware setup you employ with your ReadyNAS so others who are new to the ReadyNAS world can model their environment after yours. Any useful advice for the newbies would be great!

Thanks!
😎
Message 1 of 73
Jetlag1
Guide

Re: Share your successful ReadyNAS hardware setup

Comcast Cable Broadband <-> Motorola SB5120 Modem <-> D-Link DGL-4100 <-> Dell PowerConnect 2716 Switch

Connected to the 2716 switch (via Cat5e or CAT6) are:
- PC (Realtek Gigabit NIC) <-> 750GB eSATA HDD
- Laptop (usually via Broadcom Gigabit NIC, else WIFI G to WAP54G)
- Logitech (SlimDevices) Transporter
- Logitech (Slimdevices) SB3 a
- Dishnetwork ViP622
- Dishnetwork ViP222
- HP Laserjet
= ReadyNAS Pro (Teamed = Round Robin) RAID6, 3GB RAM, 6 WD7500AACS HDDs <-> 1TB USB external HDD
- Linksys WAP54G (running MustDie FW). The following connected to WAP54G:
<--wifi--> Logitech (SlimDevices) SB3 b
<--wifi--> Vivotek PZ6114 Network Camera 1
<--wifi--> Vivotek PZ6114 Network Camera 2

Planned future expansion:
- a networked Blu-Ray player or other upconverting networked HD media player
- Six 3TB or larger HDDs (whenever they come out).
- Also planning to buy a >50" flat panel TV once the investment property I spent 6 months renovating myself sells.

Enjoy!

(note the high-tech tool resting on top of the switch) :wink:
Message 2 of 73
chirpa
Luminary

Jetlag wrote:
<--wifi--> Vivotek PZ6114 Network Camera 1
What are you doing with the cameras? I have the older Vivotek PT7137, running motion on the ReadyNAS Pro, watching the front door and recording motion videos to the local drives.

Jetlag wrote:
(note the high-tech tool resting on top of the switch)
A paper-clip? I use the NASA higher-tech version 🙂

And for giggles:
Message 3 of 73
Jetlag1
Guide

Nice upload speed, T1?

I use one of my PZ6114 cameras to keep track of my dogs while I am on the road working, the other is used as part of the security sytem here at the house. It emails me photos (push) whenever it senses motion.
Message 4 of 73
markg1
Aspirant

This configuration works for me:

Comcast Cable Broadband <-> Motorola SB5120 Modem <-> NEtgear WNR854T Wirless Router <-> Netgear XE104 Powerline Bridge <-> Remote Netgear XE104 Powerline Bridge

Connected to the WNR854T (via CAT6) are:
- PC (3x Gigabit NIC, using only 1 at the moment) <-> 3x 750GB eSATA HDD (2x Raid 1, 3rd was used for backup before the 2nd ReadyNAS was aquired)
- Laptop (Gigabit NIC & WIFI G to WNR854T)
- XE104 Powerline Bridge
= ReadyNAS Pro RAID6, 3GB RAM, 6 Seagate ST31000340NS 3593 GB usable
- APC Back-UPS RS 1500
<--wifi--> Laptop (WIFI G only to WNR854T)
<--wifi--> iPhone

Connected to XE104 are:
- WNR854T
- Brother MFC-9840 Printer

Connected to remote Xe104 are:
- PC (100mhz NIC) <-> 20GB ATI HDD
= ReadyNAS NV+ XRaid, 1GB Ram, 4 Seagate ST3750640NS 1976 GB usable
- other pcs as needed

- all data (except database which must be run on windows) stored on PRO Nas
- backup PRO to NV+ every evening, exact duplicate of directory structure using combination of CIFS (for home files) and rsync for everything else
- also backup to extra HD periodically (was primary backup before acquiring PRO; now only used for carbonite offsite/online backup function since they only work with desktop storage)
- backup "my documents" from each pc every evening, just in case someone accidently uses local hd for document storage
- backup PRO data to PRO/backup/Sun-Sat; ie 7 copies of everything so i can unwind day by day if necessary (note to Netgear; please give us the ability to do frontview backups on weekly/monthly schedule as well to better refine this)

=> goal; data integrity/no data loss, ability to keep running no matter what happens, pc independence.
- All backups, programs, etc. are set up using host names. if Pro goes down, should be able to change hostname of NV+ to PRO and keep running; since directory structure is identical, apps/users shouldnt notice.
- if any individual pc goes down, can run from any other pc. also should be able to boot from unbuntu to retrieve/exercise NAS data in case of multiple catastrophic pc malfunctions
- only flaw is several database programs which only run from windows (quickbooks, timeslips, etc.). but they are backed up each evening to NAS, so if i have to, i can install application/database on another pc and get it up reasonably quickly

future expansion; streaming video

Message 5 of 73
dbott67
Guide

Here's my "Fortress of Solitude"

Hardware:

NAS 1: ReadyNAS NV+ RND-4250 : 1024 MB RAM : 3 x 500 GB Seagate : Raidiator 4.1.3-T136 : SSH Enabled
NAS 2: ReadyNAS Pro Business Edition : 1024 MB RAM : 3 x 500 GB Seagate : Raidiator 4.2.1 : SSH Enabled
Router: D-Link DGL-4500 Gigabit Wireless a/b/g/n
Switch: Netgear GS108T : 8 Port Gigabit Managed Switch
Desktop: P4-1.8 GHz : 896 MB RAM : D-Link DGE-530T : Ubuntu 7.10
Laptop: Dell Inspiron 6400 : Core Duo T2400 : 2 GB RAM : ATI x1400 : Multi-boot : XP Pro : XP MCE : Windows 2003 Server : Vista Ultimate : Ubuntu Linux
Media Player: Netgear EVA-8000 Digital Entertainer HD
Others: iMac DV SE : OSX Panther :: HP iPAQ 4350 : PocketPC 2003 :: TrippLite OMNISMART 1000LCD UPS

Internet Connection: 8 Mbps Down / 768 kbps UP ADSL

(a little on the slow side today)

Message 6 of 73
Jetlag1
Guide

Ever hear of "compressed air"? 😛
Message 7 of 73
dbott67
Guide

Yeah... you're right. I'm almost to the point where I can start making a quilt with all of that fluff!
Message 8 of 73
Grievous
Aspirant

I thought it was just trying to bundle up for winter.

Let's see.. hardware I use at home...

It's all kind of scattered about throughout different rooms, so I'll just post one pic(doesn't even have a readynas in it, heh)

Home PC:(yes, it's actually running, the fans just look still because of the camera)

Intel e6850 core 2 duo @ 3.87ghz
2GB ram
2x WD raptor 150GB raid 0 volume
Using onboard NIC on an Abit IP-35 Pro motherboard

Network switches and routers:
Netgear WNR854T router
Netgear GS108 switch
Airlink AGIGA8SW 8-Port 10/100/1000 switch
cat-5e cables

The airlink switches aren't anywhere near as fast, don't support jumbo frames, but they work reasonably well with no issues. I'm a wired kind of guy, needed some inexpensive switches and they get the job done.

Netgear Digital Entertainer eva-8000
Buffalo Linktheater PC-P3LWG/DVD

NV with Seagate ST3320620AS Barracuda 7200.10 x4
Various drives in the NV6

Sandisk, LG, and Memorex flash drives(various capacities)
A couple USB hdd's, but I'd have to go find 'em to get the model numbers.
Message 9 of 73
Jetlag1
Guide

I decided to put this rack unit to good use after not being able to sell it on Craig's List. It used to be part of the home theater "rack" in my last house.

Everything fits pretty well.

Message 10 of 73
beisser1
Aspirant

yeah man that would be pretty much what i need.. unfortunately those things cost a fortune.
Message 11 of 73
Jetlag1
Guide

beisser wrote:
yeah man that would be pretty much what i need.. unfortunately those things cost a fortune.

They are even more expensive when they look like this:

Message 12 of 73
Festus_Hagen
Aspirant

Jetlag wrote:
They are even more expensive when they look like this:

Well, We all now know what the glow is up on the mountian...

-Enjoy
fh : )_~
Message 13 of 73
Jetlag1
Guide

Not any more <sigh>. Sold that house and much of the gear over 2 1/2 years ago. Currently my HT consists of a 27" 720P LCD <even bigger sigh>.
Message 14 of 73
Jetlag1
Guide

FYI: My desk always looks like this neat, clean and completely organized with a fresh coat of Pledge on the Cherry. :roll:

Message 15 of 73
nvladik
Aspirant

Cablevision Cable <-> Motorola Modem <-> Linksys WRT54GS Router<-> Netgear GS108 switch

Connected to the switch (via Cat5e) are:
- PC (Core2D E6600 @ 3.3Ghz) <-> 150GB eSATA Raptor
- ReadyNAS DUO 1.5TB (Anyone want to donate a Pro? :))
- Lexmark 450DN Network Printer
- PS3
- Popcorn Hour A-110

<--wifi--> MacBook Pro
<--wifi--> IBM Thinkpad
<--wifi--> iPhone

Planned expansion is for more space... I am thinking Pro with 6x1.5TB Samsungs.
Message 16 of 73
Pompeysie
Aspirant

Why the need for the Popcorn Hour a-110 if you have a PS3?

Cheers

Simon

nvladik wrote:
Cablevision Cable <-> Motorola Modem <-> Linksys WRT54GS Router<-> Netgear GS108 switch

Connected to the switch (via Cat5e) are:
- PC (Core2D E6600 @ 3.3Ghz) <-> 150GB eSATA Raptor
- ReadyNAS DUO 1.5TB (Anyone want to donate a Pro? :))
- Lexmark 450DN Network Printer
- PS3
- Popcorn Hour A-110

<--wifi--> MacBook Pro
<--wifi--> IBM Thinkpad
<--wifi--> iPhone

Planned expansion is for more space... I am thinking Pro with 6x1.5TB Samsungs.
Message 17 of 73
nvladik
Aspirant

First I got the PS3... Then I realized (This took a couple of weeks or research) that it's playback is crap. As a BlueRay player, it's awesome, even for DVD's, some of the best playback I've seen. As far as support for other formats, it's very limited. I've even seen my own DIVX saves where it will play back one file, but freeze on another.

Popcorn hour so far has been great. Froze of me once, but after a reset play everything so far.

Pompeysie wrote:
Why the need for the Popcorn Hour a-110 if you have a PS3?

Cheers

Simon
Message 18 of 73
x_jose_x
Aspirant

Hey there, my successful ReadyNAS hardware setup is as follows:

Charter Cable Internet -> Netgear WNR854T Router

Attached to the router:
1. ReadyNAS Duo (500GB)
2. Desktop PC
3. Panasonic network camera

I also have a laptop and a second desktop PC that connects over WiFi.

I use Acronis to handle backing up all the machines to the ReadyNAS.

I upgraded my cables from cat5 to cat6 to be sure that I am getting the most out of my network.

I just added a Panasonic network cam to the mix. I have it set up to FTP its files to the ReadyNAS. That is working pretty good so far.

The one thing that I would do differently now is go with bigger drives. Between the three machines 68% of the capacity has been used up. I imagine outgrowing these drives pretty quickly.

Advice to newbies:

1. Consult these forums regularly. Every issue that I have had with my ReadyNAS (I've only had it for about a month) I have found a solution for here.
Message 19 of 73
tcblack
Aspirant

A Picture is worth a thousand words. DUO on the left side.

Explanation.

• I've got a Wireless connection to the internet with a local provider using the Motorolla Canopy System.

• I have the Geeksquad 875U battery backup protecting the D-link DIR655 Router,FS116 switch,Readynas Duo, Mybook World Edition 500, a Printer (not shown) and a few other gizmos (not shown).

• The DIR 655 Router has an open WIFI connection for visitors, but it's firewalled from the LAN for my protection. DIR655 also provides firewalling from the net for both connections.

• The Duo is connected to the router (For personal preferences) as is the Western Digital Mybook world edition. Duo serves as individual backup for all PCs on my LAN.

• There are a couple of aging wireless laptops In the living room. One LT is hardwired to the Netgear FS116 Switch.

• My system uses twin 22" wide screen monitors (Bottom left).

• There are two computers upstairs for the kids.

• Another Computer (usually several actually) is also hardwired for hacking around.

• My office almost always looks like a combination bookstore/hardware dump. Wall to wall bookshelves overflowing to the floor (hundreds of volumes) and spare computer parts all over the place.

• Don't ask about the attic. :shock:

When we built the house I put CAT5 throughout the house (Every room) for networking as well as telephone. In fact all phone outlets are wired and hardware set to run as either POT or Ethernet at my whim. All I have to do is unplug the phone cabling from the splitter box and plug it into the switch and it's an ethernet port. I love being a geek. 😎
Message 20 of 73
Pompeysie
Aspirant

I see that most of you have separate modem / router (N-Series Mostly) rather than combined modem/router set-up. Is there any advantage over this? My old Netgear Modem / router died on Saturday so I am in the market for a new one. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Do I need something with a Gigabit port? I have my ReadyNAS at home in the box but my wife wont let me open it until Christmas day (damn her - he he!). I intend to connect my ReadyNAs directly to whatever new router/modem I buy so please bear this in mind when you offer advice.

Many thanks all.

Simon
Message 21 of 73
chirpa
Luminary

You would want Gigabit for the best speeds. Most people have a separate switch and router because of that. 95% of the routers out there are 10/100, not gigabit. So they add-on a gigabit switch for the faster computer links. There is one or two N routers with gigabit ports. There are two listed here: http://www.netgear.com/Products/Routers ... eways.aspx
Message 22 of 73
Grievous
Aspirant

Another reason is also simply location sometimes, the cable modem comes in the wall on one side of the house so you run 1 cat5e or cat6 line across to the other side of the house to a switch where you need your wired connections.
Message 23 of 73
Pompeysie
Aspirant

Thanks guys. So if I get a separate gigabit router what modem should I buy? Does it matter? I have ADSL broadband.

Thanks

Simon
Message 24 of 73
dbott67
Guide

Check with your ISP. Some ISPs customize the modem, making it difficult for end-users to buy "off-the-shelf" replacements. They also may sell a preferred unit.

-Dave
Message 25 of 73
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements