× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Suddenly one night my unit just stopped - cannot start again

perbuch
Tutor

Suddenly one night my unit just stopped - cannot start again

Reg.: RND2000v2 (ReadyNAS Duo v2) – Diskless

A couple of days ago my unit stopped working, it powered off somehow. Now I cannot start it again using the power button. I have tried taking out the power supply and then re-connected it, but same result. Not even one single light is visible.

What can I do?

If the unit cannot work anymore, how can I backup the two disks outside the unit?

Message 1 of 20

Accepted Solutions
perbuch
Tutor

I managed to backup both my 2 TB disks although it was a huge job taking a couple of days. I merged the data from the disks to prepare it for my new NAS Server which will be delivered later this week.

View solution in original post

Message 20 of 20

All Replies
Sandshark
Sensei

There is a good chance it's the power supply that's gone bad.  You can test it's output, but that's not really a very effective test without a load. A risk buy of a replacement supply is something you should consider.

There are methods of recovering data from the unit, but you cannot do so directly from Windows.  How you go about that depends on whether or not you have a "real" V2.  Netgear used a "v2" designation on a sticker with some units that had a simple hardware difference but are still referred to here as a V1.  A "real" V2 is an entirely different machine, labeled as a V2 on the front of the unit, having an RND2000-200 (as opposed to -100) part number, and running OS version 5.x (as opposed to 4.1.x).  So if you want information on how to recover, you need to confirm your NAS really is a V2 or if it's actually a V1.

Message 2 of 20
perbuch
Tutor

You are quite right. I have just used a voltage-tester to check the output and it shows nothing - but it is the same result with a similar and working power supply, unfortunately.

I will look for a power supply replacement and then hope it wil

Message 3 of 20
perbuch
Tutor

This is my model: RND2000v1 (ReadyNAS Duo v1) - although on the bottom a label says V2.
So, two questions:

How can I backup my disks or at least the main one? (the other disk is the first mirrored).
What is the best replacement of my present hardware bought October 2010?

Message 4 of 20
StephenB
Guru

@perbuch wrote:

How can I backup my disks or at least the main one? (the other disk is the first mirrored).

(a) Do a risk-buy of a compatible power brick, and then see if you can boot the NAS.  

(b) Install R-linux on a Windows PC, and connect the main disk of the NAS to the PC (either SATA or with a USB adapter/dock).  Then offload the data with R-Linux.

It is also possible to mount the main disk on a linux PC manually.

Note that the "main disk" is usually disk 1, but there are some scenarios where it ends up as disk 2.  So if your files don't show up with R-Linux, try the other disk.

@perbuch wrote:

What is the best replacement of my present hardware bought October 2010?

Not a ReadyNAS, as all models are end-of-life.

If I were looking for a replacement myself, I'd be looking first at 

• Asustor
  • QNAP
  • Synology 

(listed alphabetically).  I've not owned them, so this is not a recommendation - just a starting point.

I'd also be looking at multi-bay enclosures (USB-C, Thunderbolt, or perhaps Mini-SAS).  With the size of current drives, I don't really need RAID, and I already have an always-on desktop that I use as an application server.  

Message 5 of 20
perbuch
Tutor

I have ordered a compatible power supply but still I need to know whether there should be plus (+) or minus (-) on the outside of the 12 V plug?

Message 6 of 20

Look at the label on the plug or the existing adapter.

These usually have the vital statistics. All they miss is the dimensions of the tip.

Message 7 of 20
perbuch
Tutor

Great!  It seems to be plus (+) inside and minus (-) on the outside.

Message 8 of 20
sharmy
Apprentice

Check the onboard CMOS battery.

Message 9 of 20
StephenB
Guru

@sharmy wrote:

Check the onboard CMOS battery.

The duo v1 will start up without that battery (and likely it's been dead for some years, given the age of the platform).

It's only used to keep the real time clock running when the NAS is disconnected from power.

Message 10 of 20

@perbuch wrote:

Great!  It seems to be plus (+) inside and minus (-) on the outside.

When it comes to the tip size, some generic transformers come with changeable tips. Some even do reversible polarity.

This sort of thing:

Generic adapterGeneric adapter

Message 11 of 20
StephenB
Guru

Personally, I'm not a big fan of the changeable tip concept for a ReadyNAS. 

FWIW, if you just search for ReadyNAS duo power adapter, you'll find a number of power bricks that claim they are compatible. While there might be some mis-information, I haven't seen posts here where that's been an issue.

Message 12 of 20
Sandshark
Sensei

I typically go with a 7.5A replacement supply just to be sure it has sufficient start-up current.  I also recommend you get one that explicitly states it's for NAS, IP cameras, or something more than just LED lighting, as they tend to have better regulated voltage.

Also, a word of warning:  if an eBay (or other) seller has explicitly hidden the power supply ratings on it (I've seen blurred out sections and "well placed" power cords), avoid that one like the plague.  They are hiding something for a reason.

Message 13 of 20
saudade
Apprentice

Here's a pic of the PS from my Duo V1.

Center is +.  PS is 60W.

IMG_5218.JPG

Message 14 of 20

@saudade wrote:

Here's a pic of the PS from my Duo V1.

Center is +.  PS is 60W.

IMG_5218.JPG

That's a good start. I'd start with the suggestion from @StephenB that you search for something that claims compatibility with your Netgear device. If you can't find an exact match, anything that says it supports the whole range should work.

Netgear occasionally comes up with something odd, but mostly it sticks to transformers that cover a raft of devices.

Message 15 of 20
Sandshark
Sensei

Yes, that's the same supply used on all 2-bay ReadyNAS.  I'm quite familiar with them, and my advise above is unchanged.  It's pretty much an industry standard 5V supply, and I have never seen a supply with that particular connector (5.5mm/2.1mm and 5.5mm/2.5mm will both work) with a different polarity.

Message 16 of 20
perbuch
Tutor

I have tested my NAS with a proper power supply replacement - but it will not boot.

Therefore I will take out the disks and try to back them up. Why do you recommend using Linux? Why can I not just use Windows 10 / 11?

Is it possible to back up the disks as readable data?

Message 17 of 20
StephenB
Guru

@perbuch wrote:

Why do you recommend using Linux? Why can I not just use Windows 10 / 11?

I didn't.  I recommended this:

(b) Install R-linux on a Windows PC, and connect the main disk of the NAS to the PC (either SATA or with a USB adapter/dock).  Then offload the data with R-Linux.

This page will open to the Linux download, but there is a "For Windows" tab in the upper right.

Keep in mind that the NAS is using a file system that Windows doesn't use.  The windows disk manager will see the drives, but you can't mount them using ordinary tools.  If the main disk is ok, then R-Linux should find the files, and let you copy them.

@perbuch wrote:

Is it possible to back up the disks as readable data?

That is what R-Linux would let you do.

@perbuch wrote:

I have tested my NAS with a proper power supply replacement - but it will not boot.

Does it power up, but not fully boot?  Or does it not power up at all?

If it powers up, but doesn't boot, there might be some damage to the file system.

Message 18 of 20
perbuch
Tutor

Re.: Does it power up, but not fully boot?  Or does it not power up at all?

My observation: It does not power up at all.

Re.: That is what R-Linux would let you do.

My observation: First of all I need to buy a dock for my disk - then I will try using R-Linux.

Message 19 of 20
perbuch
Tutor

I managed to backup both my 2 TB disks although it was a huge job taking a couple of days. I merged the data from the disks to prepare it for my new NAS Server which will be delivered later this week.

Message 20 of 20
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 19 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements