× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Trusty old NV finally died, what next?

cchatterjee
Aspirant

Trusty old NV finally died, what next?

I have a trusty (well, used to be trusty) old NV (original model, not the +) that suddenly became unresponsive and had disk 2 and 4 lights on, then on a hard reboot it was completely dead.

The question is what is the next model I can put the 4x 2 gig disks in to recover the data? I have an old 1100 sitting around that is supposed to be able to read the disks, but even with the same rev of firmware the 1100 just sits there and never shows up on Raidar (although with a backup 2 gig drive it fires right up).

For fun I tried the power supply from the 1100 in the toasted NV, but no luck.

So if my 1100 doesn't like the array, what is the next model to try? I understand all the new ones are incompatible, so what is the best suggestion?

Thanks!
Message 1 of 7
PapaBear1
Guide

Re: Trusty old NV finally died, what next?

If you had a friend with a functioning NV+, it would at least give you a message on the LED panel that would help diagnose the situation. Only a four bay sparc based ReadyNAS will accept your array intact. No currently produced ReadyNAS fits that situation.

Have you tried a spare drive in the NV to see if it will accept, format and initialize the disk? That would at least tell you if it is hardware or the array. The fact that the 1100 will do that with a spare disk, yet will not boot on your array is troubling.

You did not mention a backup. Is there a backup of the data and is it current and complete?
Message 2 of 7
cchatterjee
Aspirant

Unfortunately I don't know anyone with an NV+, and I'm fairly certain the array is OK (or at least it was before the NV fell over dead).

The NV is WAS completely unresponsive, even with the power supply from the 1100 (which I know is good and I believe is compatible with the NV). But now that I've messed with it a bit, I can occasionally get it to come up (but not reachable by Raidar) with a solid #2 and #4 drive light with blinking power button. This is true with both the original array and a spare drive...I haven't found out the key to the lights, so I don't know what error they are reporting.

I don't have a complete backup of the array, although critical info is duplicated in other areas and all I would lose is non-critical data that would just be extremely time-consuming to re-create and re-centralize.

I wish there was a way to tell why the 1100 doesn't want to recognize the array...it seems to me it should give some sort of error if there was something wrong.

It is starting to look like I should start fishing for an old functional NV on eBay!
Message 3 of 7
chirpa
Luminary

With the disks in the 1100, boot it in Tech Support mode. RAIDar should see it and give a five digit ID, let me know that number.

http://www.readynas.com/kb/faq/boot/how ... enu#s_1100
Message 4 of 7
cchatterjee
Aspirant

OK, I tried to go into Tech Support mode, but it didn't work (my fault), so I restarted the 1100 to try again and miraculously it has come up with the name and IP of the old NV (and all the other settings like Jumbo Frames) with the array and data just fine!

I've rebooted this thing at least15 times in the last week, but I guess it was your email mojo that did the trick!

So I'm going very gently transfer all the data over to a newer ReadyNAS before anything goes pear-shaped, then the 1100 will be relegated to backups of backups since I don't trust it worth a darn!

Thanks for all the help though, it saved me days (or weeks) of reassembling/transferring/redownloading data! (I hope the magic holds out!)
Message 5 of 7
chirpa
Luminary

You may have triggered an OS reinstall, which may have brought it back to life.
Message 6 of 7
crnet_de
Aspirant

cchatterjee wrote:
I have a trusty (well, used to be trusty) old NV (original model, not the +)

I really would like to know the mileage of that thing. :wink:

Chris
Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements