× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Upgrade drives in readyNAS Duo after single drive failure

cjrmail2k
Aspirant

Upgrade drives in readyNAS Duo after single drive failure

Hi forumites, I have just had one of my WD Caviar drives fail (2TB MDL:WD20EARS-00J2GB0), both drives are identical and I am still limping along with the current single drive with butt-clenching difficulty. I would like to take this opportunity to upgrade to a 3 or 4 TB drive. Can anyone please help me with suggestions for a replacement. I am looking for something cost effective but have also battled with slow response from the device so am open to suggestions that may speed up the performance when browsing the device...

Currently running RAIDiator 4.1.10 and don't want to upgrade the FW until I have RAID parity again if possible.

Any tips would be great, thanks.

Chris
Message 1 of 5
cjrmail2k
Aspirant

Re: Upgrade drives in readyNAS Duo after single drive failur

Ok I see that the maximum capacity for my NAS is 2TB...so the question is, would I be better off upgrading the NAS?
Message 2 of 5
StephenB
Guru

If you want more space, and find the performance sluggish, than I think you should upgrade to a newer NAS. The Duo V1 (and the NV+ v1) are old technology, all of the newer models are much faster and support GPT drives.

In my view the OS6 platform shows promise, but is still buggy. That would be the RN102/RN104 (low end, but still much faster then the duo), and the more expensive RN3xx RN5xx products.

Ultras and Pros are mature, and have essentially the same web interface you have on the duo.

I suggest avoiding the Duo v2 and the NV+ v2.

You won't be able to migrate your disks though with any of the newer, you would need to copy over the network or from USB backup.
Message 3 of 5
altapwdr
Aspirant

Question - if I have disks running in an older ReadyNas Duo (which keeps falling off the network) - and I get a DUO v2 chasis- can I simply pull the older drives and put them in
the V2?
Message 4 of 5
StephenB
Guru

altapwdr wrote:
Question - if I have disks running in an older ReadyNas Duo (which keeps falling off the network) - and I get a DUO v2 chasis- can I simply pull the older drives and put them in
the V2?
No. Answered on your other thread here: viewtopic.php?f=24&t=72447&p=402743#p402743

One thread is enough btw.
Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements