× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

WD RED WD30EFRX

dhinesh
Aspirant

WD RED WD30EFRX

The WD RED WD30EFRX 3 TB hard disk is on the list of compatible hardware for the readynas pro business edition (6 bay). Whats confusing me is that this hard disk is approved by Netgear whereas the Western Digital website specifically mentions that this is for use in a NAS that has a maximum of 5 bays. My question is can I use this in the readynas pro business 6 bay? What are the ramifications? Currently running 6 x 2 TB Seagate. Plan to change 2 of them for the 3TB Western Digital and eventually all the Hard disks will be 3 TB. Firmware on the NAS already updated to the latest one.

Please advise. Thanks!
Message 1 of 8
StephenB
Guru

Re: WD RED WD30EFRX

Netgear certifies them for the Pro-6, so you can use them. I have 5 installed in my Pro-6, and have no issues at all. When the remaining seagate fails, I will likely replace it with another WD30EFRX,
Message 2 of 8
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

The Ultra/Ultra Plus/Pro 6-bays have a rather unusual arrangement of drives which works quite well. 3 on top of the other.

I have 6 installed in my Ultra 6 and they are working well. No issues.
Message 3 of 8
dhinesh
Aspirant

thanks!
Message 4 of 8
NilsG
Aspirant

After reading tons of warnings about using WD greens in Ultra6 I decided to migrate to WD reds.
So I ordered 2x 3GB's reds a month ago to start replacing my 2TB greens - that went fine - no problem.
So a week ago I ordered 4 more 3TB reds - that didn't go so well 😞

Disabled diskjournaling (spin down were disabled too) restarted and replaced disk1 (2TB green) with a 3TB red. Everything looked normal - expanding starts after reboot. But after some hours I get the message that HDD5has failed (the two first reds were installed in slot 5 and 6) leaving the array dead.
Tested this red disk with WD datalifeguard - "To many bad sectors detected" - blahh - tested via USB HDD adapter........

I have +90% backup of my files - so I ripped out the rest of the greens and replaced them with the reds. The alreday two installed reds were taken out and the volumes deleted.

Now - the firkin server is on the second day testing disks - how long will it take before the disk testing are done with 6x 3 TB's ????????? The box is alive (not frozen) raidar finds it and using the locate function in raidar makes the display blink.

And yeah - I did put in the "failed" red in the box again after deleting the volume - I dont trust the results I got from WD lifeguard (tested via USB).

If that red have failed afterall I will have second toughts replacing my greens in my Qnap - these greens have been running flawlessly for nearly two years
Message 5 of 8
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

You may have got a bad batch of disks
Message 6 of 8
StephenB
Guru

If lifeguard fails with bad sectors, I would trust it (USB or SATA).

Try to exchange the bad ones with the seller, as they will give you new disks. WDC will give you recertified.
Message 7 of 8
NilsG
Aspirant

StephenB wrote:
If lifeguard fails with bad sectors, I would trust it (USB or SATA).

Try to exchange the bad ones with the seller, as they will give you new disks. WDC will give you recertified.

Jepp no problem - I will get a new drive from the seller IF it is faulty. The NAS is still "testing disks" so I will have to wait until it's finished before I know the result from the NAS.
Kinda regret that I didn't buy Seagate Desktop HDD.15 ST4000DM000 4TB drives (or Hitatchi Deskstar 7k4000 - more expensive tho... but the Deskstar is on Netgears HCL)

Quote from THW: "The company is aiming its new drive at the same applications and usage scenarios as the previous generation's Barracuda disks: desktop and all-in-one PCs, home servers, gaming PCs, RAID arrays, external direct-attached storage devices (DAS), and network-attached storage appliances (NAS)."

1TB more per disk for just a little more money... and the Seagate disks are quicker on read and write than WD30EFRX according to the same source http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/desktop-hdd.15-st4000dm000-4tb,3494-7.html
Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements