× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

readynas ultra 6 cpu

kzabak
Aspirant

readynas ultra 6 cpu

hey
i would want to buy a readynas ultra 6, after the thecus 7700pro was.. well... a joke,..

now i have a really good price for it, but the traders webpage states that the nas only has a single core atom 1,66ghz, not a dual, as the specs on the readynas site say.

now i guess that new version have been shipped, before with single-after with dual core?!?!
when was that?!?
what difference in performance will the single have to the dualcore? ok yeah-double the cores, but lets say at what point of usage would the single core be overstressed?
i will have 24/7 bt, musicserver running, and when playing video from it, i will use a netbook (will the netbook do the transcoding then and the nas is only datasupplier?) and not a dnla player or sth, where the nas has to do all the work...
might i be happy with the single core?
my2cents-they should have a new model number when a new cpu is put in... its a realy mess to find out which of all these RNDU6000-100PES has which cpu in it
any help would be appreciated
Message 1 of 16
kzabak
Aspirant

Re: readynas ultra 6 cpu

also i just realized they all just copy paste the specs, so it coulc be either...
do i have to ask every seller if its a dualcore?;)
Message 2 of 16
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Ultra 6 has always had dual-core CPU. Take a look at http://home.bott.ca
Message 3 of 16
kzabak
Aspirant

yeah i saw that other thread and had that link..
however they are all advertised as single core atoms and companies tend to update products, or maybe the reseller has them lieing round since a year or so, and therefore has old chips in...
so you say im save with buying any unit of the above model number and getting a dualcore in it?;)
would be great at that price-i would save more than the 7 hdds i spent for the nonexistent thecus nas..
thx for your help already-seems the readynas is the way to go for my home/small business/media server with at least 6 slots and an affordable price range
Message 4 of 16
PapaBear1
Guide

What may confuse those listing the specs on some websites is that the Ultra 2 and Ultra 4 are single core Atoms, while the Ultra 6 is a dual core. The Ultra 2 Plus and Ultra 4 Plus are dual core Atoms and the Ultra 6 Plus has the Intel E2160 Dual Core processor.

Hopefully the drives you already have are on the Hardware Compatibility List (HCL) for the Ultra 6.

Interesting use of terms - "nonexistant". But the Ultra 6 is listed in a number of vendors sites. If you are in the US, I have always had good service from Newegg and they list the Ultra 6 at $760 (including $10 shipping).

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask away.
Message 5 of 16
kzabak
Aspirant

yeah nonexistent it was even when it was here...horrible firmware..
im in europe and would get a deal at notebooksbilliger for 461,34€ as business customer...
so there was never a ultra 6 series with another cpu than the 1,66 atom dual?;)))
my drives are wd20ears, which are on the list with a note of 4k clusters, which seems solved by firmware
Message 6 of 16
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

I was a beta tester of the Ultra 6. So I would know that it's always come with a dual-core CPU.

The Ultra 6 came with 4.2.12 firmware originally so it'll work fine with 4k sector disks from the factory. As for 3TB disks you'll need to update to 4.2.16 or later (preferably before adding them).

The Ultra 6 Plus (RNDP600U-200 is much faster than the Ultra 6 (RNDU6000) and the Pro 6 (RNDP6000-200 aka RNDP6000v2) is much faster again. The Ultra 6/Ultra 6 Plus lack business features and have a 3 year warranty.

The Pro 6 has business features and a 5 year warranty.

Depending on the prices available you may wish to get a Ultra 6 Plus or Pro 6 rather than a Ultra 6.
Message 7 of 16
kzabak
Aspirant

hmm
i guess the ultra 6 would do the job it was intended for-see above..
and in the shop i mentioned it states singlecore cpu nder specs.... dunno if i can post the link here..
could you mention some settings/useage of the nas that would overstress the ultra6... what would be the maximum of "stuff it can do simultaniously without problem"?;;
thx for assistance!
Message 8 of 16
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

I agree the Ultra 6 will be fine for your needs.

Well the shop is wrong. The Ultra 4 has a single-core CPU not the Ultra 6.

It can do a fair bit so long as you're not doing too much CPU intensive stuff or running loads of addons or very resource hungry ones then you should be fin
Message 9 of 16
PapaBear1
Guide

Video transcoding stresses the CPU. If you want to transcode to 1080P apparently you should go with the Pro 6, to transcode to 720P you would need the Ultra 6 Plus. For most file storage and server functions, the Ultra 6 will do a great job.
Message 10 of 16
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Transcoding is used by addons like Plex Media Server and AirVideo to convert video on the fly e.g. to stream to an iPad. The iPad only supports a limited range of video formats so if a file isn't in the right format it needs to be converted for playback.

A netbook with the right video codecs etc. installed shouldn't require transcoding.
Message 11 of 16
kzabak
Aspirant

yeah wasnt clear enough...
i will always have a proper player..meaning a netbook....
i hate these transcoding problems and reservations and what not
a netbook can do it all...
record, playback, internet, music, data and so on

i dont get why ppl buy these media sset top players at all

ok only field i would trust is a webradio with network playback
since mp3 is a set standard nowadays i would have no problem, but video is not set at all and will not be
i was looking into the 1015n eepc, but heard there was one with non-glare screen, but since i have no server i didnt follow...;)
will order the readynas now... sounds all good
Message 12 of 16
kzabak
Aspirant

i ordered today from another shop-the other ran out....
so 1 more q:
i bought a RNDU6000... is there a difference to a RNDU6000-PES?
ehat does the suffix mean?
Message 13 of 16
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

The PES would be the region code indicating the language of included documentation and stuff like that. It's still exactly the same device.

While the PSU is custom, the Ultra 6 uses a standard PC power cable. One would think you'd get a power cable for your region (assuming you purchased locally), but if not they're pretty cheap to purchase if you don't have any spares lying around.
Message 14 of 16
kzabak
Aspirant

great support again - thx a lot for helping making my decision to all..
will give feedback when (hopefully not) running into any probs
cheers
Message 15 of 16
kzabak
Aspirant

just for feedback-got a ultra6plus for really cheap money and am very happy for now-thx again
Message 16 of 16
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements