Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: GRUMBLE GRUMBLE @ R8000

ninja661
Luminary

GRUMBLE GRUMBLE @ R8000

Tonight I was looking around my R8000, and as one tv star used to say, "Surprise Surprise Surprise" - I went to the router attached device list and somehow it was all messed up (again!)  I have tried with the Netgear Genie app on my iOS (iPad Mini & iphone SE) to make sure all is happy and in sync with one another.  Then throw in the actual device list as displayed on the router and all 3 are not agreeing what is actually connected to it.

Netgear was nice enough to replace the original router thinking that somehow it was messed up, now after the latest firmware update - it's like alphabet soup all mixed up!  I have downgraded back to the last firmware, and after hard resetting the router several times (even by using the reset button on the back of the router, it finally came back to life.) If I could ask for my money back on this PITA router, I would but I'm stuck with what seems to be a lemon.  I'm going to brave a remote support connection with a Netgear 'Support Engineer' hopefully sometime soon, but I am not sure what that will achieve.  The latest problems abound and no solution seems to be in the future.  I am seriously thinking of going back to my old Linksys EA8500 router and use the Netgear one for a bookend until Netgear can resolve the problems with releasing bad bad bad firmware.  At least the EA8500 is a lower end router than the R8000 is, but at least with lower functionng at least the expectations of working are there.

Anyone else experiencing the same problem of having the Netgear Genie mess up your router severely?  And, ReadyShare vault not detecting external USB drives?  This is creating one heck of a headache!!!

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

I would revert back to the FE version that was loaded on the router when it arrived. 

Message 2 of 14
ninja661
Luminary

Already reloaded and more issues.
Message 3 of 14
ninja661
Luminary

Already did - the router didn't want to respond to the downgrade after loading the old firmware.  I never knew routers to be such a headache!  Get this, after the downgrade - the PC Genie app thought all my devices were wired (even after doing a network map refresh!)  I don't get what's going on with this blasted thing.  I just wish it would work right - like it's s'posed to ya know?

Message 4 of 14
IrvSp
Master

New R8000 running V1.0.4.12_10.1.46 and I'm not seeing the problem you are?

I have a Win10 PC and ran Genie Desktop app there. I also ran it on an iPad Pro. All agree with the map on the browser Genie as to 'who' is attached.

I see 2 problems though. Only ONE device, a Windows PC is listed in the 2.4Ghz band (as it should be). My PC is listed as wired as it is. After that, well, everything is thrown into the 2 5Ghz bands. However when I look at the connection speed on my Amazon Echo and FireTV Stick they both show as 300Mbps. They should be in the 2.4Ghz band list.

Also annoying, and I'm sure it is a firmware problem is that although both Genie's in the PC and iPad have the correct names for the devices, not the Browser Genie, and while in both the PC desktop Genie and iPad Genie's I can alter names and icon's for the devices, there is NO way to that on the Browser Genie. Name changes made on either the PC desktop Genie or iPad Genie do not transfer over (since that is not stored on the router I assume).

Now before you declare everything broken, I have to tell you my old router was an R7000, and that too didn't display devices properly in the Attached Device list by SSID. Those were generally wrong too. But at least on the R7000 I could edit the name on the Browser Genie.

All in all, it is wrong, but that doesn't really bother me.

Oh, I 'fell' for the Support initial handling of a problem on my R7000, bad router, here is an RMA... and I had to pay shipping. Returned unit was NOT new but refurbished, and of course the same problem was there (it was a DLNA catalog problem). After the replacement didn't fix it, they first started to work on it and it took a few firmware releases to fix it. To me it is almost like a stall and hope it does fix it. Easier and less work for them vs. debugging the problem...

Message 5 of 14
IrvSp
Master

@ninja661wrote:

And, ReadyShare vault not detecting external USB drives?  This is creating one heck of a headache!!!

I moved my USB drive off the old R7000 without a hitch. Only a 1GB though. Saw my old file structure, but did a PART1 folder only my iPad DLNA client sees? In it is the ROOT? However any other way to look at the share, PC Windows Explorer, FTP, or even the iPad Samba client doesn't see this folder? Odd...

It does seem here that many USB drives can't be seen, and it does possibly depend on the USB drive itself? Some have it working in USB 3.0 but not USB 2.0 for instance. Some have problems possibly due to size (over 4TB's in size generally) and some if it is portable and draw power from the router. My USB is a WD1000H1U 1TB USB 2.0 drive in the 2.0 socket if that matters. I've got a 4TB USB 3.0 drive but I've not tested it on this router.

Message 6 of 14
ninja661
Luminary

I had the same issue almost with a router I got so frustrated with, I fed it to that nice big blue box in my apartment parking lot in so many small pieces after NETGEAR saying we can’t help you unless you subscribe to our premier supporting and the router was still under hardware warranty. A scam perhaps? It sure weakened my opinion of NETGEAR support and their equipment. The only reliable pieces of NETGEAR equipment I have owned was a PS-101 print server and a gigabit switch. Nothing can go wrong there.
Message 7 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Might try this last ditch effort,

Use IE11 or FF browser and factory reset the router. Skip the set up wizard. Send the latest FW file to upgrade back to most current. After it installs, do one more factory reset using the UI and setup from scratch. Don't load any saved configs from file. 

Turn OFF all devices and then add them one by one and see how the router does...I would disable Beamforming and MIMO initially and see how it goes. 

If it seems your still having problems, I would return the router. 

Message 8 of 14
ninja661
Luminary

I would have returned the router by now, but the likelihood of getting anything except stares from the store I purchased it at, I would be laughed out of the store.  It seems Netgear routers have a habit of breaking down after any kind of warranty is about to expire.  I am on the remainder of my hardware warranty for this router.  This has taught me a lesson - never ever buy Netgear products again.  They are a headache and a piece of crap (I could fill in an expletive here but it would cause the message to be deleted.)  I only have several devices (1 computer, 1 wifi printer, chromecast, bluray player & a tv - not an exhaustive list of hardware which this router should be able to handle easily.  By the way, I did as you had suggested - reload old fw and then add one device at a time and NADA.  I asked for Netgear tech to call today, not a peep from them.  I called in again, trying to reach the tech that I had been dealing with and I got a person saying she would relay the message and wait 24 hours for a call from a tech. GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!

Message 9 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

How long have you had the router? 

Hopefully they will call back. 

Been some others experiencing recent FW update problems. If you don't any any response back from phone support, I would send @ChristineT a PM. 

Good Luck. 

Message 10 of 14
JamesGL
Master

Hi ninja661,

Can you provide me the case number that you have from support team?

Message 11 of 14
grumpa43
Apprentice

RE: HDD connected to USB3 & R8000

My experience is this; you cannot power-up or reboot the R8000 with a drive plugged in to the USB3 port - it will not be recognized. So, before power-up / reboot, remove any drive, power up the R8000, and after it has "settled" for a few minutes, plug the drive into the USB3 port and it should be recognized.

Message 12 of 14
IrvSp
Master

@grumpa43wrote:

RE: HDD connected to USB3 & R8000

My experience is this; you cannot power-up or reboot the R8000 with a drive plugged in to the USB3 port - it will not be recognized. So, before power-up / reboot, remove any drive, power up the R8000, and after it has "settled" for a few minutes, plug the drive into the USB3 port and it should be recognized.

In my case, after powering it up and inserting the 3.0 flashdrive it did power up (light blinked). It was recognized on the Browser Genie USB  ReadyShare tab. But that was as far as it went. I'm on W10 and Explorer could NO LONGER see the router. NET VIEW will not work either. See my post #12 on https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/USB-3-0-port-not-working-with-external-HD-on... for details.

Message 13 of 14
ninja661
Luminary

Problem is - if I browsed to the router, I could see the external drive and use it as a FTP server, just the blasted ReadyShare Vault wouldn't even see the drive even though it was connected.  I did the manual disconnect of the drive.  Unplugged it.  Turned off the computer, rebooted the router and then plugged in the drive, reestablished the share points (as the router wouldn't allow me to disconnect the drive until all share points were deactivated) - same result.

Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7