Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nighthawk Mobile App device manager

Myronjax1953
Aspirant

Nighthawk Mobile App device manager

Hello. I have a Nighthawk R7000 router. While using the mobile app, i have discovered that, under the Device Manager, all of my connected devices have an "allow access" button except one. It's description is "Unknown", and has a much higher link rate ( 866 Mbps vs 144 Mbps ) than the other connected devices. I'm feeling that this is a red flag for some nefarious activity-I've never been hacked but as much as i'm online, I've always felt it was just a matter of time. Can some of you talk me off the ledge, and, hopefully, explain why, of my connected 14 devices, only one doesn't give me the access to block. Thank you for any help.

Jim in Illinois

Myronjax1953_0-1670894724687.png

Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
Myronjax1953
Aspirant

Re: Nighthawk Mobile App device manager

Michael,

did some sleuthing and....the answer was right under my nose...kinda. Turns out that the iphone-my iphone-the iphone in my hand that has the Nighthawk app telling me there is an unknown device i cant block hooked up to my local WiFi network-that iphone is the "unknown" device that i'm looking for🤣 Apparently, the latest IOS's have a "Private WiFi" address, and the default setting is "on"...wait-just figured it out.  The app wont give my access to block wifi access to "myself"- would be kinda dumb. That's why there is no "block access" button. Problem solved. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction (MAC address). Appreciate the help!

Jim

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 6

All Replies

What do you see when you look at the browser graphical user interface (GUI) and its lust of Attached Devices? It could reveal a MAC Address that you can track down.

One problem is that there can be various hidden, and legitimate, wifi sources from odd devices.

Message 2 of 6
Myronjax1953
Aspirant

Michael,

Thanks for the suggestion! In the App's device manager, each device does give you it's IP address, as well as it's MAC address. I'll do some sleuthing with the various WiFi connected devices in my house and see if i can find and identify each. Thanks!

Jim

Message 3 of 6

IoT toys have a habit of staying under the radar.

Message 4 of 6
Myronjax1953
Aspirant

Michael,

did some sleuthing and....the answer was right under my nose...kinda. Turns out that the iphone-my iphone-the iphone in my hand that has the Nighthawk app telling me there is an unknown device i cant block hooked up to my local WiFi network-that iphone is the "unknown" device that i'm looking for🤣 Apparently, the latest IOS's have a "Private WiFi" address, and the default setting is "on"...wait-just figured it out.  The app wont give my access to block wifi access to "myself"- would be kinda dumb. That's why there is no "block access" button. Problem solved. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction (MAC address). Appreciate the help!

Jim

Message 5 of 6

@Myronjax1953 wrote:

Apparently, the latest IOS's have a "Private WiFi" address, and the default setting is "on"...wait-just figured it out.  The app wont give my access to block wifi access to "myself"- would be kinda dumb. That's why there is no "block access" button.

That is a well known "feature" that has caused grief for plenty of people.

NETGEAR Mobile Applications and Apple Devices FAQ - NETGEAR Communities

You seem to have uncovered another consequence of this.

Some advise turning off that feature. Maybe that would change what you see.

But at least you can now clamber down off the ledge.

Message 6 of 6
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi 770 Series