Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

parental controls malfunctioning and disabling all internet access

gwhe
Aspirant

parental controls malfunctioning and disabling all internet access

Hi - I have a D7800 router at home and use parental controls frequently - generally from my Android phone. Yesterday they started misbehaving and it got worse over time.

1. Genie said one of my devices was on bypass login, and therefore could not set the parental control level. I don't use bypass login and have not given the password to anyone. None the less I restarted the device and Genie but no change. Genie on Windows showed the parental controls level I expected and allowed me to change levels.

2. Troubles continued. This morning Genie on Android said all devices on my network were on bypass login.

3. I tried updating router firmware. No improvement, plus problems with Windows Genie. If I set a parentals control level for a device, it would not stay set and reverted to the previous setting.

4. Reset router to factory settings. Once I got through reconfiguring the router, things worked OK. I set up parental controls again. This stopped all internet traffic. I turned parental controls off again. Internet still off. Problem was related to DNS servers not responding, so I set DNS servers to the ISP recommended IP addresses. Internet access back. So now I have no parental controls in place for my children until this is fixed. I bought Netgear because of the parental control features. Not happy.

So Netgear - given this has only happened in the last couple of days, affects two versions of the router firmware and affects Genie on both Android and Windows (where I have not updated Genie recently), the most obvious guess is some recent issue with OpenDNS. Alternatively, my router may just be collapsing.

Appreciate quick resolution. This is a major feature which is grossly not working. If no quick resolution then I will make a warranty claim on the router. If this is happening to other people, you will have lots of warranty claims.

Message 1 of 9
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Re: parental controls malfunctioning and disabling all internet access

I am also having same issue. Had Internet issues yesterday and had to reboot router when i discovered that many of my devices are showing bypass mode and cant be changed. Have most recent versions of all apps and firmware. I am also very upset that my parental controls are not working correctly. I have also reset / restored router etc. Please respond with acknowledgment of issue as soon as possible. Thanks.

Message 2 of 9
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Just as a follow up I just verified that ALL my devices are in bypass mode excpet for the only two printers connected on my network. Also when i try to access router remotly using Genie it logs me in but says my router is offline. This is very frustrating I hope there is a quick answer to this issue.

Message 3 of 9
gwhe
Aspirant

Hi again. Access control for devices is also unreliable. I have to reboot the router to get it to apply access control changes reliably.

Hi Netgear - can we please have a response?
Message 4 of 9
Bnizette
Aspirant

I have the same issue, even my Apple TV is now in bypass mode. Considering you have to login to enable parental controls and there is no console from the Apple TV to do this, I can only assume that the product is defective.

This was after the support team told me to downgrade the bios to an old version as parental controls was "flakey" on the latest version of the operating system.

Not impressed. If anyone has any suggestions let me know. The only reason I bought this modem was for parental controls.....

Message 5 of 9
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @gwhe,

I was able to perform my own tests and did not encounter any issues. I have sent you a message. Please check your inbox.

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 6 of 9
Naigle
Aspirant

I'm having the same issues... with parental controls turned on I lose routing on all devices!

They connect to the wireless, get a an IP (correct range) but no routing.

If you manually change the DNS IP's in the router GUi back to the default (ISP allocated) then routing is restored but clearly no parental controls.

If this ios not resolve, I might as well return the router... wireless is no better than my ISP supplied router.

Naigle

Message 7 of 9
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @Naigle,

1. What is the model number and firmware version of the router?

2.  Please try resetting the router.

3. If the issue persists, please try re-flashing the firmware then reset and reconfigure the router.

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 8 of 9
gwhe
Aspirant

My router kept deteriorating. Eventually it would not boot. I got it replaced on warranty (fortunately had two years factory warranty). All fine now. 

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7