Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: unable to configure parental controls

dallasstars99
Aspirant

unable to configure parental controls

I've setup my router and Netgear genie app, but I am not able to configure parental controls. Whenever I click on the parental control tab there is an error that says " You don't appear to be connected to the internet. Please connect to the internet through your Netgear router and try again. " I click the 'try again' button but it never connects. Wifi connetion shows 'connected' and everything else seems to be working.

Message 1 of 8
Saskatchewan
Aspirant

I do not have the answer to your question but I am subscribing to your discussion.  I was never able to configure the parental controls on my previous Netgear Router and I eventually gave up.  I was able to set a general content approval level but that was all I could do.   I have recently purchased a new router (an R7000 Nighthawk) and I am going to make a renewed attempt at setting up parental controls.  Thanks for starting the discussion.  Let's hope we get a clear and understandable response.  Sincerely,

Message 2 of 8

And your router is?

You may have given the forum this information, but it has not passed it on to the rest of us.

Message 3 of 8
dallasstars99
Aspirant

Netgear AC1900 Nighthawk - Model c7000

Message 4 of 8

Does this do anything?

https://netgear.opendns.com/sign_in.php

Message 5 of 8
dallasstars99
Aspirant

Somewhat.....So if I understand this correctly, I have to create an OpenDNS account to manage "parental controls" which is really just a filterng level indicator. No real capability to do anyting other than attempt to block some content. No device control level so you can't do something like disable wifi for a student that shoudln't be watching youtube videos late at night instead of being asleep. If you want to at least have user level filtering, then you have to lock it down tight and then have everyone install another genie app on their pc's, tablets, or phones which allows for a 'bypass' account to be created. More user accounts/passwords to keep up with. It's klunky as f**k on a good day.

Message 6 of 8

Parental controls only seem to go so far. But there are other ways of restricting access. Such as a schedule for turning wifi on and off. But even there there controls are limited.

Page 33 of the manual goes into some of this:

>>> C7000 | Product | Support | NETGEAR <<<

Message 7 of 8
dallasstars99
Aspirant

I was originally thinking I'd put all the kid devices on the 2.4 band and all the adult devices on the 5 band and then put a schedule in place. Problem is that some of the devices don't operate on one brand or the other so it makes it impossible to use that method.
Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7