× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

New - XR1000 Firmware Version 1.0.0.68 Released

w0rmw00d6
Tutor

Re: New - XR1000 Firmware Version 1.0.0.68 Released

It is on my desk. When I first got it I made sure it wasn't near anything that could cause interference. I turned off smart connect and turned it back on and for 11.5hrs I had no drops until this morning. What's more interesting is it seems isolated to our mobile devices i.e. phones and tablets. The TV and smart lights are staying connected now.
Message 26 of 58
omegavolpe
Aspirant

I'm been having the same problem after updating to this version firmware. I even downgraded to a previous firmware version and I'm still getting the same issue. The issue seems to resolve itself if you toggle the check box for the broadcast 2.4Ghz in WiFi setup (I think it turns WiFi off then on again). Again, this started occurring after applying this firmware update, and continued even after rolling back to XR1000 1.0.0.64_1.0.49 . Oddly, the devices will connect to 2.4Ghz or will still be connected, they receive an IP address but they do not get access to the internet. It feels like an internal firewall issue. I don't think interference is the root cause here, I have done a interference survey (Ekahau) and I don't have any issues in my home.
Restricting the DHCP range is a bandaid, all it is doing is limiting the number of devices you can connect automatically. If there is a hardware limitation then it should be officislly stated.

Settings in use:
DHCP unrestricted
IPV6 enabled
UPNP enabled
Congestion control auto enabled
No traffic controller rules set
Ad blocker disabled
Enabled AX is on
OFDMA in 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz off
Implicit BEAMFORMING on
MU-MIMO on
Smart connect off
Message 27 of 58
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Due to the devices mentioned it may be the Private/Random MAC address options on the mobile devices themselves, if you disable that does it work as expected?
Message 28 of 58
w0rmw00d6
Tutor

I've already tried that before. It seems turning quick connect off then on might've fixed it. Haven't had anymore drops (fingers crossed).
Message 29 of 58
w0rmw00d6
Tutor

Unfortunately, I'm still dropping connection. Although much less frequent today. A handful today so far vs the 40+ yesterday.
Message 30 of 58
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

As a test could you make a guest WiFi network for 2.4GHz and connect the affected devices to it, do they then continue to disconnect?
Message 31 of 58
FURRYe38
Guru

@omegavolpe wrote:
I'm been having the same problem after updating to this version firmware. I even downgraded to a previous firmware version and I'm still getting the same issue. The issue seems to resolve itself if you toggle the check box for the broadcast 2.4Ghz in WiFi setup (I think it turns WiFi off then on again). Again, this started occurring after applying this firmware update, and continued even after rolling back to XR1000 1.0.0.64_1.0.49 . Oddly, the devices will connect to 2.4Ghz or will still be connected, they receive an IP address but they do not get access to the internet. It feels like an internal firewall issue. I don't think interference is the root cause here, I have done a interference survey (Ekahau) and I don't have any issues in my home.
Restricting the DHCP range is a bandaid, all it is doing is limiting the number of devices you can connect automatically. If there is a hardware limitation then it should be officislly stated.

Settings in use:
DHCP unrestricted - Try setting the range to .100 to .200
IPV6 enabled - Try IPv6 disabled.
UPNP enabled
Ad blocker disabled
Enabled AX is on
OFDMA in 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz off - Try OFDMA enabled and set channels 1 and 40. 
Implicit BEAMFORMING on
MU-MIMO on
Smart connect off - Try SC Enabled. 

Message 32 of 58
FURRYe38
Guru

DHCP unrestricted - Try setting the range to .100 to .200
IPV6 enabled - Try IPv6 disabled.
UPNP enabled
Ad blocker disabled
Enabled AX is on
OFDMA in 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz off - Try OFDMA enabled and set channels 1 and 40. 
Implicit BEAMFORMING on
MU-MIMO on
Smart connect off - Try SC Enabled. 

@w0rmw00d6 wrote:
It is on my desk. When I first got it I made sure it wasn't near anything that could cause interference. I turned off smart connect and turned it back on and for 11.5hrs I had no drops until this morning. What's more interesting is it seems isolated to our mobile devices i.e. phones and tablets. The TV and smart lights are staying connected now.

Message 33 of 58
w0rmw00d6
Tutor

Message 34 of 58
w0rmw00d6
Tutor

Yes they do still disconnect
Message 35 of 58
FURRYe38
Guru

Wondering if you downgraded FW back to one prior version? 

Message 36 of 58
w0rmw00d6
Tutor

I have not done that yet
Message 37 of 58
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Does there seem to be any pattern as to when it disconnects such as when there is heavy usage, using a specific service/application, being a certain distance away from the router etc.
Message 38 of 58
w0rmw00d6
Tutor

There doesn't appear to be a pattern. It's sporadic.
Message 39 of 58
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

In the past we've seen some weird issues due to the SSID/Password, are you using any symbols in either of these?
Message 40 of 58
w0rmw00d6
Tutor

I have @ ! and $ in the password. SSID is letters.
Message 41 of 58
w0rmw00d6
Tutor

I changed the password on the network to only letters and numbers(40 characters). I've disconnected 11 times in 90min. I've noticed my smart bulbs are reporting "poor network condition" after setting them up to the new network password. They didn't do this prior to the firmware update. I suppose reverting to the previous version is an only option for the time being. Will flashing the previous version make things worse?
Message 42 of 58
FURRYe38
Guru

How many total devices do you have connected to the router? 

Message 43 of 58
w0rmw00d6
Tutor

12 total devices counting wireless and wired.
Message 44 of 58
w0rmw00d6
Tutor

For some reason, changing to channel 1 seems to have fixed it. Going on 12hrs without disconnecting. It's odd because channel 1 is the most congested channel according to the WiFi analyzer. Either way if this stays, I'll take it
Message 45 of 58
w0rmw00d6
Tutor

Nevermind. Two hours after posting I started disconnecting again. This time mobile devices and smart bulbs.
Message 46 of 58
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

I think at this point downgrading is definitely your best option, it shouldn't make anything worse.
Message 47 of 58
laneyy
Aspirant

I'm having the same issue with random disconnects too. Mainly noticing on my Google home hubs because the screen shows no internet but then will connect again themself later. Settings haven't changed and I have done a factory reset since upgrading firmware. Honestly thinking about going back to my old Asus RT66U because that just worked and I've had nothing but issues with the XR1000 since day one
Message 48 of 58
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

@laneyy do you have Smart Connect enabled? If so some devices especially smart devices don't seem to work well switching bands, if you disable it and connect them manually to 2.4GHz does that resolve the issue?
Message 49 of 58
FURRYe38
Guru

What channel configurations are currently set on the router?  
Try setting manual channel 1 on 2.4Ghz and 40 channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

How is the Adavanced Wireless settings configured on the XR router? 

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?
Be sure your using a good quality LAN cable between the modem and router. CAT6 is recommended. 

@laneyy wrote:
I'm having the same issue with random disconnects too. Mainly noticing on my Google home hubs because the screen shows no internet but then will connect again themself later. Settings haven't changed and I have done a factory reset since upgrading firmware. Honestly thinking about going back to my old Asus RT66U because that just worked and I've had nothing but issues with the XR1000 since day one

Message 50 of 58
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 57 replies
  • 7 kudos
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7