× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Router failing to connect to NTP server along with a DHCP issue

MyXR1000isBroke
Aspirant

Router failing to connect to NTP server along with a DHCP issue

I am having this same problem with router failing to connect to NTP server along with a DHCP issue. When I went to factory restore my xr1000 router I got a pop-up message saying that I'm on "fixed" internet plan with my ISP and I needed to get all this info from Comcast to enter into the blanks BUT I'm not on a fixed internet plan and I confirmed this with Comcast. I'm just a residential using comcast subscriber and not a business. When I check router for update it says it's on the most up to date firmware 1.0.0.64_1.0.49.
I need help, this has been an ongoing issue with this router and I've only had it for 8 months.

Message 1 of 10

Accepted Solutions
MyXR1000isBroke
Aspirant

Re: Router failing to connect to NTP server along with a DHCP issue

Warranty claim has now been requested. Claim is open. My router has been unplugged and unusable for days as I'm too scared to use at this security breach guest network exposed as unsecured, unlocked network showing up in my Wi-Fi network list to choose from and connect to for all hackers or weirdo neighbor stealing my wifi alike! This is horrible and scary knowing all my expensive and all newer in past 2 years Apple devices are all vulnerable using this router. I'm done.
Thanks for all the help anyways, you are the only one that has made any effort at this point to listen, respond in actually trying to help me. I appreciate you and your time - Cyber high-five!

View solution in original post

Message 9 of 10

All Replies
Netduma-Liam
NetDuma Partner

Do you know if you require PPPoE, VLAN, or DHCP identifiers in order to get connected to the internet?

Just to clarify, is this the DHCP issue?

What are you seeing when you try to set the NTP server? Are there any error messages at all? Can you post them here if so?

Message 2 of 10
MyXR1000isBroke
Aspirant

I actually have a list of configuration issues, constantly. It's almost as if someone else is controlling it and setting it up because I know I'm supposed to be DHCP (been with comcast for 18 years now) and my ip numbers always used to change but now they don't and won't. Under internet set-up I have "get info from isp automatically checked but it's got all the ip, gateway external and subnet already filled in and the 2 DNS servers too but I never input those numbers. They are always 1 of 2 different sets that automatically fill in the blanks after a router reset back to factory settings. I've tried both the browser set-up and the app that never works for me either. When I change it to "yes" under needing a password for my account it takes me to the PPoe page which is already pre-loaded as well. Connect on demand and the number 5 under it with the word "guest" as the account name. Same DNS servers populate as they do on the internet set-up page. 75.75.75.75 and 75.75.76.76. I've released and renewed but still nothing. There is also a DHCP server IP address listed under monitor and connection status with all the other preloaded ip's, gateway and subnet mask. The subnet mask is different than the one that shows up on all our devices too which I always think is odd ... no? Under LAN "use router and DHCP" is check marked. It's constantly not connecting and dropping. I've factory reset my net gear modem, rebooted and change the password to lock it up but majority of the time in the comcast app it shows my modem is offline even when we are all connected and have internet/Wi-Fi connection. I always use super long passwords and change the SSID and guest network info which is always set to off but after router is configured my guest network shows up periodically in the Wi-Fi networks being broadcasted although I have that option unchecked on both 2.4 and 5G, not to broadcast guest SSID. Using wpa3 security and wi-fi 6 options. I feel like the guest network is attached to the PPoe settings somehow like a back door thing. Once router is configured all fresh the 2.4ghz becomes unusable, it won't ever let us connect to it therefore I can't use the option to make them one connection because then we can't join 2.4 or 5G, I have to always keep them separated. I get a huge error message from 2.4ghz telling me too many people are using the same channel and unable to connect. I've changed the channel numerous times but nothing. Then within a week I'm doing yet another factory restore because 5Ghz starts saying same message on Channel 48 but tried 44 and 36 but still doesn't work. I login into the router login.net with admin and my long password when trying to make all these changes. Within last 8 weeks or so I started getting NTP failed to connect when using the normal setting with netgear NTP after updating to my CST time zone. My logs also always show January 24th, 2022 for a long thread then the current date logs begin. This router isn't working at all and I'm hoping I can make a warranty claim on it because it's hopeless. I log into DumaOS IOS app with IPhone 12 Pro Max and I'm able to set up all the areas in there and delete devices from device manager etc ... but that's about the only thing that works for the most part. I do have to delete it and reinstall after a factory reset before it connects but fine. I've turned off ip port forwarding and triggering. Disabled SIP and unchecked the IMCP option. I didn't buy this router for the major gaming part of it as much as I purchased it for all the latest security settings. I have to teenage daughters that do game but nothing extravagant and all done from Apple devices. No android devices in my home except for 2 TV's if you count that? Comcast's came out a couple months ago but said everything is great on their end of the connection. We always have 500-600GB leftover each month that we don't use in my household and 300mgb high speed Wi-Fi with comcast/XFINITY. No cable service just Wi-Fi. I've really tried it all with this thing and nothing is ever right. I need major help or actually need my xr1000-100Nas router replaced.
Message 3 of 10
Netduma-Liam
NetDuma Partner

Could you please clarify your exact physical network setup?

You mention there that you're using a NETGEAR modem so it would be good to know the make and model of that if possible.

If you're not sure on the model, could you let us know whether it's a pure modem (No Wi-Fi) or a modem/router combo (Wi-Fi capable)?

Can you tell if your XR1000s WAN IP is your public IP (seemingly random numbers like 12.34.56.78) or if it's an internal IP (192.168.x.x)?

Message 4 of 10
MyXR1000isBroke
Aspirant

Modem is also Netgear CM1200. Modem is a couple years old and router is only 8 months old. The WAN works and I get a 192.168. The IPV6 is a struggle set at DHCP and then at the bottom it's set on auto config. When I tried switching the DHCP at top to auto detect it always goes to 6to4 tunnel but then I switch it back to DHCP for WAN and auto config at bottom which is for LAN (I think). I'm not sure which is correct but in my iPhone settings under DNS it'll always show the 192.168 number and usually a fe80: number for IPV6 and sometimes it'll also show a 2601:444 number along with the 192.168 and fe80: number but not always. This morning and yesterday I have to keep shutting off the modem (unplugging) and same with router and then plugging both back in just so the devices can connect to wifi.
The error messages are as follows;
The unable to connect to 2.4ghz and sometimes also says this with the 5G connection reads like -
This network is operating on Wi-Fi
channels in use by several other
nearby networks.
Restarting your wireless router
may allow it to automatically
choose the best channel to use,
and may resolve this problem.
Restarting never works with 2.4Ghz only the 5G connect.
The NTP warning message I receive is this -
Warning: The router failed to connect to NTP server, please check your Internet connectivity or try another NTP server.
As of right now it's not working and this could be the major issue right now because the conflicting times, I suppose.
It's seriously been issue after issue and it takes up SO much of my time to constantly be having all these issues and resets/setting up all over again and again.
It's total insanity and this point! Sadly, I wish I would've just stayed with my previous Linksys router as I used that brand for years before switching over to using this Netgear brand of routers.
Message 5 of 10
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Your ISP must support IPv6 then and generally switch you between two IPs, there is nothing inherently wrong with that and it shouldn't really impact your local network. When it shows the IP and subnet etc that's just what you're currently using and is normal. You could try setting it as static if you're worrying about it constantly changing. Do you have a lot of wireless (not WiFi enabled) devices in close proximity to the router e.g. headphones, remotes etc? Do you have the router on metal? If so that would impede the signal as well. Regarding NTP you can set that manually and that should prevent the error.
Message 6 of 10
MyXR1000isBroke
Aspirant

Yes, of course I've tried setting the NTP time zone myself, like only 1 billion times over now! Does nothing but continually give the same consistent red warning blurb on the top of the NTP screen saying it's failing to connect to the NTP server.
The ipv6 isn't really the issue at hand here, it's the least of my worries to be honest and besides, pretty sure Comcast/Xfinity (being one of the biggest providers) supports IPv6 and I'm located in a big city. It was never an issue on my previous Linksys router. No, my router is not on metal and sits right next to my modem. It's only a 1500sq ft Townhouse we're in and only probably 2-6 devices using Wi-Fi at any given moment. Not by large amounts of controllers or AirPods. My router is currently going through a huge connection issue as we speak but something I'm unfortunately pretty use to at this point but I'm at my wits ends now and my 2 teenage daughters are even more sick of the constant BS of this router.
Let me tell you what happened only a couple hours ago as all day I've had to keep unplugging it and back in just so we can connect and/or reconnect. When I went into my iPhone 12 Pro Max to toggle off the Wi-Fi button and back on again hoping to be reconnected, my 5G SSID network was no longer showing up and instead there were 2 new unsecured (no lock attached) NETGEAR and NETGEAR-5G SSID's being broadcasted. Immediately I knew it had to be my guest network showing up although that wasn't the name of my guest network as I had changed it last time I factory restored it and I don't broadcast my guest network, I turn that option off and don't use it. I set long passwords for it too. NOW how on earth does this happen??? I immediately logged into the browser 192.168 way with admin and my long password and sure enough my SSID settings were all gone and guest network was showing the generic names of NETGEAR without passwords and now being broadcasted??? I did not do anything today with resetting it or even trying to change any settings, just the norm of unplugging it and plugging it back in so our devices could connect today. Of course after realizing this, I had to YET AGAIN spend 30 minutes of more wasted time re-setting ALL settings up AGAIN!! I'm done, how do I make a warrenty claim under the 1 year warranty that Netgear has on this router??? I can't continue to do this and I can't afford another new router right now. I spent $340 dollars on this thing 8 months ago and this is what I got for it. A LEMON!!! I'm so frustrated, I could puke. Let's not forget we can never ever connect to the 2.4ghz network and my printer needs that one to work and because of that issue I can't use the option to combine both 2.4 and 5 under the same network name. After resetting today now the DumaOS app tells me right when I log in that it's unable to detect what router I'm using and therefore some options may not be available. This is new, never had that warning/issue before but now this app won't hold any of the settings I change in the DumaOS app. I'll set up QOS and nothing saves now. This app has never done this to me before. Usually it just takes me deleting the app and reinstalling it after I do a factory reset and it fine again and everything I change in it, saves. Maybe it's because I didn't factory reset the router on my own today and it just somehow reset itself?? I don't know but what I do know is that this router is broken!
Message 7 of 10
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

I've not encountered anyone else with these types of issues, you would need to get in touch with Netgear directly about the warranty, it's not something I can specifically advise on. Given it's persisting through factory resets it's possible there is an issue in the boot process, in which case you could try re-upgrading using the TFTP method which bypasses the boot process and any issues there, then once done perform a factory reset for the freshest install possible. If it's still happening after that then I suspect it is faulty and would suggest you do pursue the warranty route.
https://kb.netgear.com/000059634/How-do-I-upload-firmware-to-my-NETGEAR-router-using-TFTP-from-the-M...
Message 8 of 10
MyXR1000isBroke
Aspirant

Warranty claim has now been requested. Claim is open. My router has been unplugged and unusable for days as I'm too scared to use at this security breach guest network exposed as unsecured, unlocked network showing up in my Wi-Fi network list to choose from and connect to for all hackers or weirdo neighbor stealing my wifi alike! This is horrible and scary knowing all my expensive and all newer in past 2 years Apple devices are all vulnerable using this router. I'm done.
Thanks for all the help anyways, you are the only one that has made any effort at this point to listen, respond in actually trying to help me. I appreciate you and your time - Cyber high-five!
Message 9 of 10
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Sorry to hear that but hopefully you'll get it all sorted through the warranty. You're very welcome!
Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7