× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

TWO XR500 for whole house coverage?

boomerx01
Aspirant

TWO XR500 for whole house coverage?

I have an XR500 Configured with QoS, etc. - but I have a 3,000sq Ft two story house and need more coverage.  I have a hard wired connection available downstairs, can I run ANOTHER XR500 in AP mode some how to extend the network? 

Or should I use a EX7000, something like that, that will take a hard wired line to extend the WiFi network?  Thanks!  #xr500 

Message 1 of 7
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Re: TWO XR500 for whole house coverage?

You could do either really, in my opinion unless you may need another XR500 in the future and will make use of the DumaOS features then it's a little overkill to get another just to run in AP mode when those features won't be used.
Message 2 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

I ran a EX7700 with my XR450 in a 5000sq ft home. Worked well. 

@boomerx01 wrote:

I have an XR500 Configured with QoS, etc. - but I have a 3,000sq Ft two story house and need more coverage.  I have a hard wired connection available downstairs, can I run ANOTHER XR500 in AP mode some how to extend the network? 

Or should I use a EX7000, something like that, that will take a hard wired line to extend the WiFi network?  Thanks!  #xr500 

Message 3 of 7
boomerx01
Aspirant

Were you using a wired backhaul?  It seems certain models don't support this function? 

Message 4 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

No, EX don't support wired backhaul. 

Message 5 of 7
boomerx01
Aspirant

Thanks - recommendation on which one does? 

Message 6 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Extenders don't support wired backhaul from what I understand. Wired backhaul is mostly designed into NGs MESH systems, Orbi and Nighthawk MK. 

One way to use two XRs via ethernet would be to make the 2nd one in to a AP configuration. You probably use same SSID name and password on both however wifif channels would need to be set far apart on each unit. Or use a different SSID name on the 2nd router would be recommended. Same configuration would apply to a EX extender in AP mode that would be ethernet connected to the main host router. 

Message 7 of 7
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7