× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Why is the Time ALWAYS Wrong?

Why is the Time ALWAYS Wrong?

Just like the title says, the Time on my XR1000v2 (with the latest firmware) is ALWAYS wrong. There are two places to set it; NTP settings under Administation Menu and also the 3 dots in the upper corner then Advanced and Time Zone and no matter what I set, it's always an hour off, either 1 hour early or 1 hour late. I set them to CENTRAL TIME ZONE (GMT -06:00) which is the actual time zone I am in and turn on Automatically adjust for daily saving time, it shows that it's only 8:45pm when in fact it's 9:45pm here now. If I turn off Automatically adjust for daylight saving time, it changes nothing at all, still shows 8:45pm. If I set it for Eastern time Zone (GMT -05:00) then it jumps 2 hours forward and shows that it's 10:45pm when it's 9:45pm here, which would be correct for Eastern Time Zone but odd that just going from -6 to -5 GMT it jumps TWO hours which is clearly wrong. There also shows to be two locations between Central and Eastern time Zones, though not in the USA so I even tried those, the first one still has it an hour behind my actual time, and the second one puts it an hour ahead of my actual time.

I have tried using both the Default Netgear NTP Server, and also tried using the "time.nist.gov" time server but no change so it's clearly an issue in the routers programming.

So apperantly there is literally no way to set this thing to have the correct time if you happen to live in the Central Time Zone of the United States...  Crazy.  And some of the routers features (Scheduling etc.) rely on it having the correct time to work properly.

Anyone know of a way to fix this?

Message 1 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Why is the Time ALWAYS Wrong?

Is there a DST check box? 

Message 2 of 13

Yes, as I said in my post "...and turn on Automatically adjust for daylight saving time, it shows that it's only 8:45pm when in fact it's 9:45pm here now. If I turn off Automatically adjust for daylight saving time, it changes nothing at all, still shows 8:45pm."

DST is just an abbreviation for the daylight savings time that I was reffering to, checking/un-checking box does not change anything. It has no affect at all.

Message 3 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Ya we know what DST stands for.

Seems like that option may be broke or NTP service isn't working right. 
FW up to date on the router? https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-Pro-Gaming-Routers/New-XR1000-Version-2-Firmware-Version-...

You have a v2 so not sure if this effects v1's. I can check mine. 

Message 4 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

So I checked my v1 today and NTP configuration is correctly displayed and accurage for my time zone here:

NTPWorking.png

My router is connected behind another router so in double NAT here. Modem is a CM3000. 

I would open up a support ticket with NG and let them know about this and what you see on the v2 XR1000. This maybe a v2 only issue.

@KevinLiT @DarrenM 

Message 5 of 13

Mine is correct there in that location (part of why I'm not totally worried about it, but still it's odd the router has two different times in two different locations), but click the 3 dots in the corner, choose advanced, and look at Time Zone there and see if the time displayed there is correct if your in CST in the US.

Message 6 of 13

Here are three locations in the DumaOS you can see the time, notice how one (the pop-out when you click the 3 Dots in the upper right corner > then select Advanced > then select Time Zone) is different than the other two. I took pics showin the pop-out menu poped out over the other time locations in the background so you can see them at the same time and see the one under the 3 dots>advanced>time zone is showing a different time. Oh yea, and sometimes, like in these pictures, it doesn't even show the time zone (though usually does and when it does it's my proper time zone, though the time is still wrong).

IMG_8440.JPGIMG_8441.JPGIMG_8442.JPG

Message 7 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Does setting Eastern TZ make any difference? 

Message 8 of 13

Yea, setting EST Jumps it 2 hours ahead so then it shows an hour ahead of actual time rather than an hour behind.

Message 9 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

And MST? 

Sounds like a bug with Central TZ...

Message 10 of 13

MST Shows the same time it displays when set to CST, only that would be correct for MST, but not here.

So yea, sounds like a bug in how they have CST programmed. The other time zones all seem correct, but CST just shows the same time as MST.

Message 11 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Make contact with NG and open up a support ticket on this. 

@KevinLiT @DarrenM 

Message 12 of 13
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

As long as its reporting correctly on the main pages it'll be set correctly, will just be a visual issue on the time change panel
Message 13 of 13
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7