× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: XR1000 High upload ping

Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

If you provide us with the IDs for those servers we can get those moved to the correct location. You can ask them here that's fine!
Message 26 of 34
PapaLung
Apprentice

This is the server that shows it's in Ireland, It looked like it was in England until I zoomed in a bit, my apologies two both countries. 

Message 27 of 34
PapaLung
Apprentice

This server might be in the correct location.  My question is, Is this server my NTP server or where the router thinks I am or both?  Previously I would enable the geo filter and it would show me in San Jose CA.  I was told by a Netgear rep that the router won't show my location but I was able to prove it does by turning on another xbox in my house, invite that xbox to a live party and it immediately pinged that "user" and it was in the exact same spot as it showed me being in San Jose.  If I invite someone from another part of the states or in another country, it absolutely shows me where they are on the map as well as their isp ect. to verify it's them.  I'm also curious if there is a setting I need to change so that I show up where I am actually at?  

Message 28 of 34
PapaLung
Apprentice

This photo shows my exact location being the center of the search area, and also shows the two servers that are coming up while the geofilter is on and set to auto ping host.  

Message 29 of 34
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

The first one is definitely Ireland so that's correct. The second one is a server in Germany, looks like a residential address potentially. The Geo-Filter only shows connections you make so you saw it as you essentially connected to yourself over the internet rather than over LAN so you won't see yourself on the map, I'd be very surprised if you appeared on it. The third, the Ireland one will be the authentication server and the one in your radius will be the game server. Where are you actually located?
Message 30 of 34
PapaLung
Apprentice

I'm located in norther utah, usa.  Why I'm connecting to servers in germany or ireland is beyond me.  If the second server, the game server, is the one you're saying is in germany and the authentication server in ireland, is it possible there is something nefarious going on?  

Message 31 of 34
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Ireland is an auth server that is normal but it's odd that your ping is so low to both when you're in the US, are you using a VPN or anything.
Message 32 of 34
PapaLung
Apprentice

I don't have a vpn at all.  I'm hooked up to my isp, my modem and router, that's it.  I noticed not long after my initial use of the geofilter that servers that use to show in California, were showing up in Ireland, England, and now Germany or visa versa.  It doesn't make sense how I can have 32 ping on a server that is that far away and why would I be connecting to them when I have the geofilter on?  It shouldn't be possible.  It has always made me wonder if something fishy has been going on, but, I have no idea how that would work or even where to begin to attempt to figure out if something was up, regardless if it's nefarious or if it's a communication issue.  Either way, it's definitely weird.  

Message 33 of 34
Netduma-Liam
NetDuma Partner

Was the server in Germany showing on the map as being in Germany too? I can't see from your screenshot. If it was maybe we'll have to get the team to check it's ID and find a little more information on it, perhaps it's misplaced in Geo-filter. As you say, it's not possible you could have such a low ping to Germany.

Message 34 of 34
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 33 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7