× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

XR500 very slow download speeds only to PC

doP0P
Aspirant

XR500 very slow download speeds only to PC

Hello everyone,

I recently purchased a CM2000 modem and XR500 router. Upon installation I performed a factory reset on both devices as well as verified that they had the most recent firmware. MY ISP speed package is rated for 1 Gbps but for some weird reason I am only getting 30-50 Mbps down and .71 Mbps up via CAT 8 cable.

I tested my PS5 via CAT 5E on each port and I am getting 820-900 Mbps down and 110 Mbps up. I also tested a macbook wired and it was receiving around the same numbers as well. After contacting support about this problem, they asked to check my network connections settings and I verified that my ethernet network speed was showing 1 Gbps.

The first tech told me that my ethernet port on my motherboard was possibly damaged and recommended I should buy an USB to ethernet adapter. I luckily found one and used it but sadly I still am receiving the same numbers. I called them back but they told me I have to contact ASUS before they can further assist me -_-.

The same PC was working fine with the previous router (R7000) and with that equipment I was getting 800 Mbps via CAT 5E. Any insight and advice would be deeply appreciated. Appreciate your time in reading this.

Message 1 of 14
doP0P
Aspirant

Re: XR500 very slow download speeds only to PC

Update: I bought a Netgear AXE3000 WiFi adapter and my speeds went up to 70-90 Mbps down but stayed at .70 Mbps up. So it's confirmed that either wired or wireless my connection is still the same. Which leads me to believe that it's not the PC and rather the router or settings within the router.

Message 2 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

First test the PC with the CM modem directly with the PC. Does it get to spec speed there? 

Is QoS enabled on the XR router. Speed test with QoS disabled. 

Also be sure to speed test with Ooklas installable speed test app on the PC. 

What is the brand and model# of the ethernet adapter in the PC? 

Be sure the ethernet drivers are up to date from it's Mfr. 

Test with different cabling. CAT6 Is recommended between the modem, router and PC. 

What FW version is loaded on the XR500? 

Message 3 of 14
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Where are you checking the speeds, on the router itself or on Ookla? Have you set the speeds you expect on the router itself? Go to the Device Manager and switch to the table view and check the link speeds of the ports. It sounds to me as though some of the cables may be limiting you.
Message 4 of 14
doP0P
Aspirant

Hi Furry, thanks for the reply. Is e38 a bimmer reference?

Anyway, I tested the modem directly to the PC and confirmed 1 Gbps

doP0P_0-1710440358602.png

This is what it looks like with the wifi adapter

doP0P_1-1710440577537.png

As for the router everything is set by default except for SSID. I have only been testing on speedtest.net and here are the numbers:

Wired w/QoS: 16.53 Mbps down / 0.26 Mbps up

Wired w/out QoS: 17.70 Mbps down / 0.29 Mbps up

Wireless w/QoS: 56.43 Mbps down / 0.41 up

Wireless w/out QoS: 43.63 Mbps down / 0.29 Mbps up

The brand of the ethernet adapter was Realtek. Although I switched to a Netgear AXE3000 WiFi adapter to rule out certain things. The driver for the AXE3000 was updated to the latest FW as well. I tested with different CAT 5e cables plus the CAT 8 Cable that was used for the results above. When you said CAT 6 is recommended, a CAT 8 wouldn't be better and the best cable for XR500 is CAT 6? Lastly, the FW on XR500 has the latest FW installed.

Message 5 of 14
doP0P
Aspirant

Hi Fraser,

The speeds I have been posting were from speedtest.net

I set the bandwidth speeds to 1000 Mbps down and 200 Mbps up for recent test results. As for the link speeds on ports its showing 1000Mbits, Full duplex.

Message 6 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes.

What speed results did you see with the PC ethernet connected directly to the modem? 

Message 7 of 14
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Copy the MAC address of the previous router you were using and set the XR to use that instead, then reboot it and test the speeds again please
Message 8 of 14
doP0P
Aspirant

Furry,

To verify was that yes for CAT 6 being the best cable for XR500 or bimmer reference? The speed was the same as if it was wired to the router.

Message 9 of 14
doP0P
Aspirant

Fraser,

I don't know if I did this correctly but I copied the MAC address on the bottom of the R7000 router and I inputted digits in Internet Setup. After it refreshed it I did not have a internet connection, but once I went back to default. I got 127 Mbps down and 0.90 up.

Message 10 of 14
doP0P
Aspirant

Update: I performed a system restore and redownloaded the ethernet and adapter drivers. However, I am still getting low numbers. One thing I did notice was that my default MAC address for router is off one digit, it ends with 3B (as indicated on the bottom of router) but when I am using the default MAC address it ends in 3C.

Wireless still yields me way better numbers. So now I have 110-120 Mbps down but still connection is stuck at 0.80 - 0.90 Mbps up. I really appreciate everyone's help and hope we can fix this problem for future users.

Message 11 of 14
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Do a Connection Benchmark on the router, what speeds does it get there? That will help to determine if the issue is with the router not getting the speeds or whether the issue is passing the speeds out to devices.
Message 12 of 14
doP0P
Aspirant

Hi Fraser,

I ran the connection benchmark test and this is what I got:

Wirless: 503 Mbps/1.0 Gbps down | 113 Mbps/ 200 Mbps up 

1. Speed: D
  2. Ping: A+
  3. Ping Under Load: A

Wired: 450 Mbps/1.0 Gbps down | 112/200 Mbps up

1. Speed: D
  2. Ping: A+
  3. Ping Under Load: A+
Message 13 of 14
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Thanks, so appears to be more of an issue of dispersing to devices for some reason. Disable QoS from the Congestion Control menu (looks like lines top left of the panel) then what speeds do you get?
Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7