× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
× Introducing the new Orbi 770 Series Mesh System. To learn more click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: xr1000 slow 2.4 and won't connect to Ring devices

djsquared69
Initiate

xr1000 slow 2.4 and won't connect to Ring devices

Hey everyone

Just upgraded from my A1900 Nighthawk to the XR1000. Everything was able to connect and worked fine except my ring devices. I have purposly set up a 2.4 guest wifi for the cameras to go on. And I disabled the AX setting. My August door lock is in the same spot my ring doorbell is and that connected just fine. When I try to connect i get a error saying my wifi is weak. Speed test for my 2.4 is at 60 download which is not even close to what I pay for, but still fast enough and set to channel 11 for the longest range. I have my doorbell next to my router and still getting an error. I factory reset all my ring devices and still have the same error. I contacted ring and they gave me some port forwarding info. I contacted my ISP and they were useless and contacted netgear and have received nothing as well. I can not be the only person which this issue.

Message 1 of 12
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Set NAT to Open in WAN Settings, also make the antennae on the router look like this _ | | _ for optimum range. Disable Smart Connect for WiFi and see if they connect to the main 2.4GHz WiFi.
Message 2 of 12
chadamski
Aspirant

I have this same problem. The 2.4 band just stops accepting connections from certain smart home devices for hours at a time, then usually eventually corrects itself. Extremely annoying and inexcusable for such an expensive router.
Message 3 of 12
Netduma-Liam
NetDuma Partner

As Fraser mentioned above, please set NAT to Open in WAN Settings, also make the antennae on the router look like this _ | | _ for optimum range. Disable Smart Connect for WiFi and see if you're then getting more consistent connectivity out of them.

Message 4 of 12
chadamski
Aspirant

Uh, yeah. I've tried everything in this thread. And everything in all of the other threads. It's still a persistent issue, unfortunately. 

Message 5 of 12
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Set the DHCP range to start at .50, then assign reserved IP addresses to devices between .2 & .49 so they're out of the DHCP range, apply, reboot from the interface, wait 2 minutes and see if resolves the issue
Message 6 of 12
chadamski
Aspirant

@Netduma-Fraser wrote:
Set the DHCP range to start at .50, then assign reserved IP addresses to devices between .2 & .49 so they're out of the DHCP range, apply, reboot from the interface, wait 2 minutes and see if resolves the issue

Yeh, I've also tried this, as well as a few other DHCP configurations, just to make sure. The router still just randomly drops the entire 2.4ghz band. During these periods, the band sometimes fails to show up even in the Nighthawk app on my phone. My smart home devices regularly drop connection, even when IP addresses are reserved. In addition, this router randomly and frequently resets itself to factory on reboot, even just a soft restart (not from a power outage, though outages also cause factory resets), so it's been a pretty frustrating thing to try to diagnose. 

Message 7 of 12
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Try making a guest 2.4GHz network instead just for those smart devices to connect to and see if that works better
Message 8 of 12
chadamski
Aspirant

Alright, will try that, but I'm not super confident it will help. Feels like something else is going on here. Is it expected behavior that performing a restart from the admin interface resets the router to factory? Feels like I'm chasing my tail with this thing trying to make progress.
Message 9 of 12
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

If you're restarting by unplugging the power that could happen - to prevent it restart by using the button on the back or from the interface. However, if you still want to unplug then make sure you reboot from the interface first which will act as a hard save.
Message 10 of 12
chadamski
Aspirant

Yeah, as I said, I'm doing a soft restart from the interface. And half of the time this results in a factory reset. This seems... Bad/wrong. Can you confirm that this is not the expected behavior?
Message 11 of 12
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

It shouldn't happen while rebooting from the interface, I'd suggest reupgrading the firmware using the TFTP method, this bypasses the boot process and any issues there then once done do a factory reset for the freshest install possible: https://kb.netgear.com/000059634/How-to-upload-firmware-to-a-NETGEAR-router-using-Windows-TFTP
Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi 770 Series