Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

802.11ad usb adapter

checktravis1
Follower

802.11ad usb adapter

What do i need for my surface pro 3 (or anything with usb 3.0) to take advantage of the 60gz of the r9000?

Model: R9000|Nighthawk X10 AD7200 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 10

Accepted Solutions
schumaku
Guru

Re: 802.11ad usb adapter

Not aware of any for now - look ie. List of 802.11ad Hardware. Interestingly, none of the three makers of 802.11ad routers does offer such a beast.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 10

All Replies
schumaku
Guru

Not aware of any for now - look ie. List of 802.11ad Hardware. Interestingly, none of the three makers of 802.11ad routers does offer such a beast.

Message 2 of 10
William10a
Master

Wouldn't the data transfer rate limit of the usb3 port limit a based usb3 ad adaptor to the 4.8gb data transfer rate as well even if every was work just right and no  bottle necks anywhere in the data bus even if you had the perfect line of sight and in the perfect range from the router or I'am wrong?

Message 3 of 10
schumaku
Guru

Yes, of course. However, with all these shared media technologies (the air) and with the massive concurrent multi-channel as we see on the 2.4 GHz (even overlapping channels) and on 5 GHz (160 MHz, soon even more), the aim is to have a reliable, fair usage access. For now, you would get these marketing data rates on very short distances only, ie on a desk with these 802.11ad based docking stations - withing some 10...50 cm only. Thus, the USB 3.0 limitation won't hit very soon.

Message 4 of 10
StephenB
Guru

@schumaku wrote:

the aim is to have a reliable, fair usage access. 

Yes.  And there just isn't enough spectrum.  The 60 ghz range is extremely limited, but can help for some.  But you'd need an AP in every room to really make effective use of it (or an orbi-style mesh).

Allowing wifi to use white-space spectrum (licensed spectrum that isn't used in your location) is another approach, and hopefully will also be approved by regulators.  The challenge there is that the license holder needs strong guarantees that the wifi usage won't disrupt their service (after all, they've spent a lot of money to get that license).

Message 5 of 10

That's good shinny and fancy to have those features BUT HOW laptops or tablets can take this load?? It is time for Netgear to develop some USB key that are AD capable.

It is like having a Ferrari mounted on bike tires!!

Message 6 of 10
William10a
Master

At present time the ad standard sounds nice on paper but it's limits as it stands make a feature that a few will find a use for with it's limited distance and easily stop by it's surroundings. Who knows with a repeater design to work with r9000 and the fcc allows more power for 60ghz ad band the house could be cover one day.

Message 7 of 10

But at least NG could provide some good AC USB adapters with MIMO!!

Message 8 of 10
DirkStoiber
Aspirant

i will wait of an usb adapter Wlan AD

Message 9 of 10
William10a
Master

I can see where a usb based adaptor for the ad standard would be god idea hower I would think the slowest usb standard when the usb port would be the three standard or faster since the usb 3 is 4.8 gb transform rate ten times faster then the usb 2 stanard 480 mb rate.

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7