Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: AC1750, R6700v2, strange behavior on powerup

Jackmac60
Aspirant

AC1750, R6700v2, strange behavior on powerup

When I do a reset the first light to come on is the broadcast light for several seconds then it goes out and the amber power light comes on. I think my firmware has been compromised. Am I on the right track?
Message 1 of 9
plemans
Guru

Because of how the led lights up, you think you're router is compromised? 

Do you have any other indication of that? 

Message 2 of 9
Jackmac60
Aspirant

Many, previous very stable connection keeps resetting. When I do finally get to router dashboard multiple windows keep coming up asking for my admin pw. Then it resets and asks me to change admin after many attempts disregarding windows. When I start to investigate things like Mac address it drops out. Found the Mac address to be different than what is on label of machine. So if the led behavior means something definitive that would help with my decision to replace router. I don't see a way around this type of firmware corruption.
Message 3 of 9
plemans
Guru

Have you tried a simple factory reset and reinstall? 

Message 4 of 9
Jackmac60
Aspirant

Yes, multiple, then I did a standalone reset from my phone but when hooked back up to modem weird behavior returned. So no one knows whether the broadcast led lighting up first before the power led is okay? I assumed most routers would power up and initialize in a known pattern so it might give me an idea if the firmware is deeply corrupted.
Message 5 of 9
Kitsap
Master

If you have any concerns about firmware corruption, simply re-flash firmware over the top of what is already in place.  Then go through the configuration process from scratch.  Recommend you not reload a configuration file from a backup.

Keep in mind, Wi-Fi routers can have several different MAC addresses.  One for the 2.4 GHz radio, one for the 5 GHz radio, one for the LAN Ethernet, one for the WAN Ethernet, and one for Bluetooth.  All of them may not be listed on the label.

Message 6 of 9
Jackmac60
Aspirant

Seem strange the the Mac address was only one number off from the one on the label. I'm going with someone changed it. Thanks for the info. All my connected devices are mobile, so until I can figure out an absolutely secure way to flash firmware I'm playing it safe.
Message 7 of 9
Kitsap
Master

@Jackmac60 wrote:
Seem strange the the Mac address was only one number off from the one on the label. I'm going with someone changed it. Thanks for the info. All my connected devices are mobile, so until I can figure out an absolutely secure way to flash firmware I'm playing it safe.

Updating firmware via an Ethernet connection is the best way to proceed.  If one of your devices is a laptop computer, you need to add a USB/RJ45 adapter to your kit.  Use the adapter and an Ethernet cable for a direct connection to your router.  The adapters are under $20 on Amazon.

Message 8 of 9
Jackmac60
Aspirant

Appreciate all the insight.
Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements