Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

AC1900 - R7000 configured as AP

Britracer44
Guide

AC1900 - R7000 configured as AP

I am trying to get wi-fi to a metal shop in my yard, I have an IP supplied router with a mesh system.

I have an antenna on my shop exterior pointed to the mesh box on the house, then a N Male to RP SMA coax cable to the center antenna connection on my Nighthawk AC1900 R7000 router that is configured as an AP.

In the setup I missed changing the SSID and Password to the IP routers SSID and passphrase, now I can't log in to Routerlogin.net to change settings as the Netgear router, now an AP, IP address has changed. I logged in to my IP router and found the R7000 listed with it's new IP address, tried that to log in but it didn't work.

I can log in to the router with my iPhone using the SSID and password on the label on the back of the router but that's all as it is a different network. 

Any help getting me back to the settings would be much appreciated, (at 77 years old I'm falling behind technology).

Model: A7000|Nighthawk AC1900 WiFi USB Adapter - USB 3.0
Message 1 of 9
plemans
Guru

Re: AC1900 - R7000 configured as AP

In access point mode, the R7000 would need to be hardwired into the primary router to get an IP address. 

From the sound of it, you've just used a bigger antenna to try to connect the r7000 to the primary router. 

that'd be extender/repeater mode. 

To get back into the r7000, either hardwire it into your primary router or simply factory reset it. 

Message 2 of 9
Britracer44
Guide

Thanks for the quick response, I did a reset and connected to my ISP router, I couldn't connect to my computer with an ethernet cable as the ISP router is connected to it, so I used my cell phone and finaly connected to the R7000 and changed the SSID and passphrase to the  ISP routers.

I had gone on to several forums to find out how to get wi-fi into my shop and the consensus of opinion was a directional antenna pointed at the mesh that is on the house and connected to a router/AP inside the shop to broadcast wi-fi inside the building.

Thats what I did and.... it's not working. 

Right now I'm frustrated, I can't run a cable that far which would obviously be the best answer and the power in the shop is not connected to the house power so a plug in AP is out of the question.

Any suggestions?

Message 3 of 9
plemans
Guru

I think you have a bit of a misunderstanding. some of it could be different manufacturer's call things different. 

1. Access point mode. It isn't what you think it is. In access point mode, the 2nd router HAS to be hardwired into the primary router. It isn't a wireless connection. 

2. Extender/repeater mode on the R7000. This *might* work for you. Debatable because you have the antennas extenrnal to the building. So how does it broadcast inside the building. But this has the highest chance of success. In this mode, the r7000 picks up the wireless signal from the primary router and rebroadcasts it like a repeater/wireless extender

3. Bridge mode. In this mode, the router acts as a wireless bridge. It picks up a signal from the primary router but doesn't re-broadcast it. It simple connects to the router and allows you to use the ethernet ports as an access. You can connect another access point to that router so its broadcasting inside the building. 

What the forums shoud have recommended for you was a point to point system with an access point connected to it. 

A point to point system uses 2x devices. One on the building sending the signal and one on the building receiving. It acts as a wireless bridge between the 2 systems. In the simplest terms, it acts as an ethernet connection because its simply a connection between 2x points.  Then you simply plug your access point into it to broadcast into the building. 

You *might* be able to get your system running but try using extender mode. Or use bridge mode and connect another access point to it. 

Access point mode  IS NOT what you want unless you plan on burying a wire between the 2x buildings. 

https://kb.netgear.com/24108/How-do-I-enable-the-extender-mode-feature-on-my-Nighthawk-router

Message 4 of 9
Britracer44
Guide

OK, I thought I was doing the point to point set up as you describe, I have the ISP supplied wired mesh mounted on the outside of my house, pointed at my shop. At the shop I have a Dual-Band outdoor high-gain, long range directional panel antenna pointed at the mesh. a low loss N male to RP SMA coax cable from that antenna to the R7000 wireless router configured as an access point to broadcast into the building.

That was the recommendation from two of the forums that I went on, obviously I have missed something along the way.

Do I need to buy an actual dedicated AP instead of the R7000?

Message 5 of 9
plemans
Guru

this is a point to point system: 

https://www.amazon.com/EnGenius-Plug-n-Play-Long-Range-ENH500v3-KIT/dp/B083JRFQ24/ref=sr_1_4?dchild=...

There's a bunch of other types like  netgear airbridge. I"m just showing you an example. 

You've setup a mesh satellite with a better antenna. Then you've got different antenna's on the r7000 to try to boost its sending/receiving. Not the same thing. 

You can potentially get it working. but not in access point mode. That mode REQUIRES the r7000 to be hardwired into your system. Not using wifi. 

Try the extender/repeater modem I linked to earlier. 

Message 6 of 9
Britracer44
Guide

OK, I think Im starting to understand what I'm trying to do. One  quick question, if I purchase this bridge system that you reccomend what would I need to broadcast wi-fi inside the metal shop, I see that it has a connection for an ethernet cable, but I think that is for a POE injector, would I connect a router to it?

I think I'm almost there. Thanks

Message 7 of 9
plemans
Guru

They usually are powered with a power injector. That injector should have a way to connect a router/switch to it. 

the only I linked to is just an example. 

Message 8 of 9
Britracer44
Guide

OK, thats what I was thinking. I'll take a look at others and figure out what 'll buy. I very much appreciate the help.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7