Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

AC2400 corrupted hardware

EthanKelman
Follower

AC2400 corrupted hardware

I was in the middle of a firmware update and accidentally closed the app so now I’m almost 100% sure the firmware is corrupted I’ve tried to use the tftp client to fix it but I couldn’t really figure it out. I talked to Netgear support and they had me do a reset on it and then said I would need to buy a new router but I’ve seen some cases online exactly like mine and it can be fixed I’m just not too good with computers or anything so if anyone has any ideas or could walk me through the tftp that would be amazing and greatly appreciated.
Message 1 of 2

Re: AC2400 corrupted hardware

@EthanKelman wrote:
I was in the middle of a firmware update and accidentally closed the app so now I’m almost 100% sure the firmware is corrupted I’ve tried to use the tftp client to fix it but I couldn’t really figure it out.

You are not alone. TFTP isn't the easiest operation. But don't give up.

Which device are we talking about? AC2400 is one of those rare things where Netgear makes irt even morew confusing by using the AC2400 as both a model number and the more usual tag for wifi technology.

So, other AC2400 devices are the XR450 and R7350.

If a standard factory reset fails, there is more severe, recovery reset, that you could try:

• Press reset for 30 seconds
    • Keep pressing reset while removing power
    • Keep pressing reset for another 30 seconds while apply power

If it works, you may be able to use the usual method to flash the firmware again.

Download the latest firmware for your device – or an older version if that is what you want – and read the Release Notes for how to install it.

How do I manually upgrade firmware to my NETGEAR router? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

If recovery reset fails, you are into TFTP country.

How to upload firmware to a NETGEAR router using Windows TFTP | Answer | NETGEAR Support

This also explains how to enable TFTP on a Windows PC.

TFTP isn't the easiest operation, timing is important, as are the exact details for the commands and prompts you see. It can take several attempts. So if you are forced to use TFTP try a web search for videos that guide you through the process.

For example:

Different device, but the approach is the same.

The good news is that TFTP has rescued many a dead device.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7