Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

AC2400 only lets device connect to Guest account

tdcunningham
Aspirant

AC2400 only lets device connect to Guest account

Netgear "customer support" is a never ending circle of nothing, so hopefully the community can help.

Just bought an AC2400 wifi router, it's running V1.2.0.32_1.0.1 firmware. I'm using 'Access Control' MAC filtering and successfully added (10) other devices.

One final device (a laptop) is unable to connect...to the primary (2.4G / 5G) SSIDs. However, it does connect to the 'Guest' login.

I've tried: turning both the laptop and router off & back on again; deleting and re-installing the laptop's wifi adapter and verified it has the most current driver; deleting and re-adding the laptop in the the 'Access Control' list; and disabling 'Access Control'.

Thoughts or ideas are greatly appreciated.

Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
Jojoe64
Initiate

Re: AC2400 only lets device connect to Guest account

Just bought this router also  had the same issue with only connecting to Guest network for wireless  , I just simple unchecked the box for  smart connect , for wirelessl , after that not a problem , router works great 

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 6

All Replies
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Have you tried to remove the wireless networks saved in the laptops wireless settings then try to connect to the network again?

DarrenM

Message 2 of 6
Jojoe64
Initiate

Just bought this router also  had the same issue with only connecting to Guest network for wireless  , I just simple unchecked the box for  smart connect , for wirelessl , after that not a problem , router works great 

Message 3 of 6
Jojoe64
Initiate

Also I forgot to mention , use the Netgear genie webpage on computer to change the setting , if you cannot connect to computer using wireless , plug a landline into your computer that is connected to your router , type into your browser 192.168.1.1 to access Genie webpage , login is '' admin '' password is the password that is on your router , or the one you created 

Message 4 of 6
tdcunningham
Aspirant

Thanks for the suggestion, I tried that after removing the wifi adapter from device manager, but it still didn't work.

Turns out the fix is unchecking the 'Smart Connect' feature that (supposedly) lets the router select the WiFi band.

Message 5 of 6
tdcunningham
Aspirant

Yup, that's what it was. So much for it being 'Smart'.

Thanks for the reply!!

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7