Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Access control in AP mode

Morti
Aspirant

Access control in AP mode

Hi all,

I have setup my R9000 as Access point (the DHCP server is located on the internet router) . The access control is set to "OFF", and the button to "access control" is not active. I would be very happy if someone could help... abd I have 2 questions:

1. How to activate the access control, and create an access list on the R9000?

2. Some third party product, such as IP camera, or Network media are refused to connect unless I use the WPS function. How can it be possible if the access control is not active... May be I'm misunderstanding something... however this fucntion was working OK on my previous X6.

Anyway,  could someone teach me how to view the list of the enrolled clients, and therefore how to revoque them...

Sorry if my questions look confusing. I'm a bit lost here.

Thx in advance for any suggestion 🙂

Model Nighthawk X10 AD7200

FW V1.0.2.40

Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
Morti
Aspirant

Re: Access control in AP mode (R9000)

Well done! very good point! I totally missed this way of thinking...

I replaced the existing X6 (R8000) by the new X10(R9000), seting up same  SSID and  same password.

R8000 had 2*5GHz radio (5G-1 and 5G-2), as the R9000 offers just one (5G).

I had issues with few IP cams and IoT that were probably forced to old 5G-2, and could not find the new 5G without  new setup!

I had no problems with other devices  like PCs or so, probably because  they had map the 3 channels previous channels ...

Definitely thanks a million for the good idea and the inspiration! Well done, you rock!

Problem now clarified  and solved

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 7

All Replies

Re: Access control in AP mode

If you are using the R9000 as an access point, you have turned off its router capabilities. In those circumstances I would expect the router to handle access control.

See these messages:

Solved: Re: R6120 Access control when set up as wireless a... - NETGEAR Communities

What features are disabled when my Nighthawk R6700 is set to bridge mode? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Message 2 of 7
Morti
Aspirant

Hi Mikael and Community

Thank you very much for your quick reply.

I totally agree with you, this was also my expectation (access control managed by router)

This is why I was surprised when I had to use the WPS function link few appliances  to the R9000 (IP address is delivered anyway by the router)

Thus my confusion...

Any good idea or suggestion welcome 🙂

PS: looks that there are different functions unavailable depending on the R9000 configuration to Bridge or AP....

Message 3 of 7

@Morti wrote:
This is why I was surprised when I had to use the WPS function link few appliances  to the R9000 (IP address is delivered anyway by the router)

If the access point is broadcasting an SSID and you have set up a password, then problems with connecting devices may well be down to the wifi clients and not the R9000.

Can any wifi clients connect to the R9000 in the conventional way?

Message 4 of 7
Morti
Aspirant

Well done! very good point! I totally missed this way of thinking...

I replaced the existing X6 (R8000) by the new X10(R9000), seting up same  SSID and  same password.

R8000 had 2*5GHz radio (5G-1 and 5G-2), as the R9000 offers just one (5G).

I had issues with few IP cams and IoT that were probably forced to old 5G-2, and could not find the new 5G without  new setup!

I had no problems with other devices  like PCs or so, probably because  they had map the 3 channels previous channels ...

Definitely thanks a million for the good idea and the inspiration! Well done, you rock!

Problem now clarified  and solved

Message 5 of 7

You have webcams that do 5GHz? That's good. Some of these devices are stuck with 2.4GHz, but that is probably because it has a longer range than 5GHz.

Message 6 of 7
Morti
Aspirant

Yes, more cameras are now on 5GHz, unfortunately not popular enough IMO. (5Ghz slightly more expensive to manufacture)

I'm trying to use 5Ghz cams (e.g Reolink) where possible, since the 2.4GHz is full of basic and legacy stuff. Everything I can drop to 5GHz especially large bandwidth eaters  is good 🙂

thx again for your support!

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7