Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Advice please existing R7800 - ADD an access point?

PaulMcG1970
Aspirant

Advice please existing R7800 - ADD an access point?

Good afternoon everyone.

I have a R7800 and I'm moving it to the centre of my house.  I have an out building which I have an ethernet cable to.  I already have a EX7500 but I have issues with devices streaming from the internet and regularly pausing.  If the EX7500 is turned off and the devices can reach my main router then I don't get the streaming issues.  It isn't my broadband as I have cable 350Mbps.

I would prefer to replace this extender with an access point plugged in via the ethernet to my main router.

Would someone please recommend something compatible (old or new, at least 800Mbps)?

I've seen a WAC510 on ebay quite reasonably priced, would they work?

thankyou

Paul

Model: EX7500|AC2200 Nighthawk X4S Tri Band WiFi Mesh Extender, R7800|Nighthawk X4S AC2600 Wifi Router, WAC510 Insight Managed Access Point
Message 1 of 4

Re: Advice please existing R7800 - ADD an access point?

@PaulMcG1970 wrote:

I would prefer to replace this extender with an access point plugged in via the ethernet to my main router.

Your EX7500 is one of the few wifi extenders in Netgear's range that does not have wire;ess access point mode.No LAN por that you can plug into the thing to create an Internet (WAN) link.

Many router and modem/routers have this as a built-in feature. The Extender devices that do offer that feature usually have a section in the manual Use the Extender in Access Point Mode

You'll see that on the EX6130, EX6200, EX6400, and EX7000 to pick just a few.

What do you want this device to do?

The WAC510 is a fancy managed device that may be overkill. It also does not have extra LAN ports for other stuff.

I'd start here and narrow it down to fit my circumstances:

WiFi Range Extenders: Boost Your WiFi Range | NETGEAR

Message 2 of 4
PaulMcG1970
Aspirant

I just want a wall/ceiling mounted extender so I don't need any additional ports for devices as this will go high up in a porch.  I saw a WAC510 on Ebay and it has a wall mounting plate, is white so discreet on the ceiling.  The EX6250 and EX7300 look good and like something that fits the bill.  Thank you I'll check them out.

Message 3 of 4

@PaulMcG1970 wrote:

I just want a wall/ceiling mounted extender so I don't need any additional ports for devices as this will go high up in a porch. 

Not one of those plug in "wall warts" then.

You  might like to check the extender section here to see if there are models that cause serious grief.

WiFi Range Extenders & Nighthawk Mesh - NETGEAR Communities

Keep it simple is my mantra. But having said that I have an Orbi router in AP mode. (It cost me nothing.) A lot of people do that because Orbi is good for wifi but less so for fancy router management.

Message 4 of 4
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7