Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Anyone with experience with R7300 connecting to Arris NVG448BQ via IP Passthrough Mode?

dhsoule
Tutor

Anyone with experience with R7300 connecting to Arris NVG448BQ via IP Passthrough Mode?

Does anyone have experience with installing either a R7000 AC 1900 router or the R7300 AC 1900 router with DST in connecting to an Arris NVG448BQ ADSL2+ from Frontier Communications?  There is no true bridge mode for this device which would make life easier.  Rather, there is an IP Passthrough mode which has no real published documentation.  Any input is appreciated.

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 10

Accepted Solutions
dhsoule
Tutor

Re: Anyone with experience with R7300 connecting to Arris NVG448BQ via IP Passthrough Mode?

Mission accomplished!  Smiley LOL With some minor speedbumps I was able to get the gateway into IP passthrough mode.  From there Netgear Genie made it very easy.  Impressive.  So far love the router.  The DST adapter is being stubborn, but I live in a 40 year old home with old school electical.  Need to work through that but otherwise up and running.

Thanks to all for your assistance.

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 10

All Replies
William10a
Master

Re: Anyone with experience with R7300 connecting to Arris NVG448BQ via IP Passthrough Mode?

Modem manual link https://www.dslreports.com/forum/r31139536-New-Gateways-FiOS-Vantage-Arris-NVG448BQ-NVG468MQ-NVG448B...

It would easier to disable the modem/router 2.4 and 5 ghz radios and let the netgear be a access point and use it for the wifi connections instead of the arris modem/router a simple lan cable from one of the modem's lan port and connect it to the internet port of the netgear and you should be done. The modem you have is design for your isp the manual I found is from the FCC web site since have file specs on the networking equipement with them before they can use it the fcc id number is GZ5NVG4XXQ. Use 5NVG4xxQ for the fcc id number

I hope this helps.

Message 2 of 10
dhsoule
Tutor

Thank for the info, certainly something to consider.  I cannot access the link for the manual as I don't have your credentials.  Any way that you can post it for me to an ftp site or something along those lines?

Message 3 of 10
TheEther
Guru

I'm assuming that IP Passthrough on the NVG448 is similar to the NVG599.  If true, then it's a useful function.  It's a pseudo-bridge mode in that it bypasses NAT for a single device, which would you assign to be the R7300.  Your R7300 will end up sharing the public IP address with the NVG448.  The NVG448 continues to function as a router for all other connected devices.  You can even use the NVG448's Wi-Fi as a dedicated guest network.

Message 4 of 10
dhsoule
Tutor

Thanks for the input, this is the approach I am trying to take.  My plan is to completely disable the wireless and routing features in favor of the R7300/R7000. The challenge is in the documentation.  While the NVG598/599 is well documented, the NVG448BQ is not.  I was finally able to connect with Arris tech support who provided the "official" procedures for IP Passthrough, unfortunately, the GUI interface and parameter switches are differenet enough to make this painful.  Frontier tech support is less than helpful and claim to not have the documenation as this gateway is new.  Just enought to make this uncomfortable.

Message 5 of 10
William10a
Master

This link may work better for it is a link to arris http://www.arris.com/products/nvg44x-xdsl-voice-gateway/

Here is the data sheet fr the modem link http://www.arris.com/globalassets/resources/data-sheets/nvg44x_datasheet.pdf

Capture 2.PNG

Click on link fcc link 5NVG4XXQ the links must broken some how and select nvg448bq users manual

Message 6 of 10
dhsoule
Tutor

Thanks got it.  This is helpful.  I also think that I brute forced the procedure for IP Passthrough for the NVG448BQ based on help from this forum, online searches and the documentation supplied by Arris for the NVG589.  The GUI names and some parameters are different, but I feel much more confident than I did earlier today.  Thanks again.

Message 7 of 10
dhsoule
Tutor

Mission accomplished!  Smiley LOL With some minor speedbumps I was able to get the gateway into IP passthrough mode.  From there Netgear Genie made it very easy.  Impressive.  So far love the router.  The DST adapter is being stubborn, but I live in a 40 year old home with old school electical.  Need to work through that but otherwise up and running.

Thanks to all for your assistance.

Message 8 of 10
William10a
Master

I feel sorry for you rewiring a house can harder to live with that the internet you had .

Message 9 of 10
JC629
Initiate

I've got the same issue: just had Frontier installed & using the Arris model NVG468MQ. Wireless coverage is nowhere near what the Nighthawk provided. Could you give a bit of a detailed procedure for a router amateur?

Thanks!

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7