Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Can't get to router admin page after reset

qtopplings
Novice

Can't get to router admin page after reset

Apologies if this question has been answered. I couldn't find a similar issue in a search.

I had my R7000 set up previously with wifi, and when I moved, I got a cable modem from ATT (NVG589). The cable modem is in the closet, WIFI is off, it's the DHCP router. It's connected to a switch which is connected to the ethernet going to all rooms in the house. My netgear R7000 is connected to ethernet in my office. My old wifi SSID was working just fine and I am on the internet on my mac which is connected to the netgear by wired connection.

I was having problems printing to my wireless printer, and thought maybe the R7000 IP's were conflicting with the ATT modem IP's since I don't think the netgear is in access point mode. But I can't get to the admin page at all. Tried doing a reset to factory settings. Still can't get to the admin page so I can't get my WIFI password back to what it was before.

Looking at the admin for the cable modem, it says my R7000 is assigned an IP of 192.168.1.76. Can't get to admin page with that IP either.

How do I get into the R7000 admin page so I can set it to be an access point only?
Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
Babylon5
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Can't get to router admin page after reset

What searay is suggesting is a factory reset of the R7000, which will allow access to the R7000 admin pages, but will then also require you to set up the router again. If the R7000 is currently set up as an AP and is obtaining its IP address from the modem then it’s quite understandable that the R7000 is repeatedly allocated the same IP address, but the fact that it’s the same is not the issue. You should, even by just power cycling the R7000, be able to access the admin pages at its base IP address i.e. http://192.169.1.76 If however the R7000 is not currently configured as an AP then you may well be running with two routers in series, segmenting your network with some devices unable to see others, and the IP address you see allocated to the R7000 is being treated as a WAN IP address and maybe even causing the router to change its LAN subnet to 10.0.0.x. In that case the advice given by searay is perfectly correct, disconnect the R7000 from your network, factory reset it back to defaults, connect to it from a computer using Ethernet cable, and reconfigure it as required including the AP option.

View solution in original post

Message 9 of 9

All Replies
Retired_Member
Not applicable

disconnect it from the network, then push reset until power Led flashes, connect cable to LAN port and to PC. The PC should now get IP of 192.168.1.2 open IE type 192.168.1.1
User admin
PW is password

Select from advanced menu, Wireless AP
Message 2 of 9
qtopplings
Novice

Thanks. I disconnected the R7000 from the network, reset the router, plugged back in. Good news is now my printer works again.

Bad news is I still can't get to admin page. IP of R7000 is still 192.168.1.72
Message 3 of 9
qtopplings
Novice

I checked my iPhone which is connected to the default wireless network and the IP looks like it's assigned from the cable modem (IP 192.168.1.254). So maybe I did set it to AP a long time ago (forgot?). I still can't get to the admin page and the IP of the router is still the same. Getting a DNS error when going to the routerlogin.com page.
Message 4 of 9
Babylon5
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Have you tried just power cycling the R7000? If not then do so, then check what IP it has allocated at the modem, and then attempt to connect at that IP again.
Message 5 of 9
Retired_Member
Not applicable

qtopplings wrote:
Thanks. I disconnected the R7000 from the network, reset the router, plugged back in. Good news is now my printer works again. Bad news is I still can't get to admin page. IP of R7000 is still 192.168.1.72
You missed a step, I said to connect cable to LAN port and to PC. The PC should now get IP of 192.168.1.2 open IE type 192.168.1.1 User admin PW is password Select from advanced menu, Wireless AP
Message 6 of 9
qtopplings
Novice

That was the first thing I tried. It's always getting assigned the same IP.
Message 7 of 9
qtopplings
Novice

searay wrote:
You missed a step, I said to connect cable to LAN port and to PC. The PC should now get IP of 192.168.1.2 open IE type 192.168.1.1
User admin
PW is password

Select from advanced menu, Wireless AP

I just want to make sure I understand this. The R7000 is connected to the ethernet in my office, which is connected to the cable modem via a switch in the media panel in my coat closet. My iMac is plugged into the R7000.

So you want me to connect my Mac directly to LAN port and bypass the router? And how would the router be connected to the internet?

Isn't the issue that the router is no longer 192.168.1.1 but is now assigned 192.168.1.76 and DNS will not find routerlogin.net?
Message 8 of 9
Babylon5
NETGEAR Employee Retired

What searay is suggesting is a factory reset of the R7000, which will allow access to the R7000 admin pages, but will then also require you to set up the router again. If the R7000 is currently set up as an AP and is obtaining its IP address from the modem then it’s quite understandable that the R7000 is repeatedly allocated the same IP address, but the fact that it’s the same is not the issue. You should, even by just power cycling the R7000, be able to access the admin pages at its base IP address i.e. http://192.169.1.76 If however the R7000 is not currently configured as an AP then you may well be running with two routers in series, segmenting your network with some devices unable to see others, and the IP address you see allocated to the R7000 is being treated as a WAN IP address and maybe even causing the router to change its LAN subnet to 10.0.0.x. In that case the advice given by searay is perfectly correct, disconnect the R7000 from your network, factory reset it back to defaults, connect to it from a computer using Ethernet cable, and reconfigure it as required including the AP option.
Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7