Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Cannot reach Comcast internet speed with AC2300 (less than 25%)

bman2021
Aspirant

Cannot reach Comcast internet speed with AC2300 (less than 25%)

Hello NetGear Community - I'm having trouble with the R7000P reaching wifi speeds which I have piped into my home (1Gps through Comcast). My modem is an Arris SB8200.  Confirmed that I do have 850 Mbps coming through the modem ethernet port, speed test executed through speedtest.net on my laptop. Using a CAT6 cable between the modem and the router. The wifi speed on my Samsung S9+ and my wife's iPhone 10 can't get over 200Mbps. Hoping someone could help me with "tweaking" the router appropriately to improve from 200 to least 350-400mps for wireless connections for newer devices, such as our cell phones, xbox one, etc.

Model: R7000P|Nighthawk AC2300 Smart WiFi Dual Band Gigabit Router
Message 1 of 8
plemans
Guru

Re: Cannot reach Comcast internet speed with AC2300 (less than 25%)

The R7000P is a 4x4 antenna device. Most testing i've seen shows its peak 5ghz speeds (thats peak speeds as well, not average speeds) around that 500mbps but its when its connecting using all 4x antenna's. 

Most cell phones/tablets/computers are only 1x1 or 2x2 antenna configurations. 

Might be worth reading through this testing article on it. 

https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/wireless-reviews/33109-netgear-r7000p-nighthawk-smart-wifi-...

Message 2 of 8
bman2021
Aspirant

Thank you very much! Do you have a recommendation that could hit the speeds closer to what I'm actually piping into the home?
Message 3 of 8
plemans
Guru

Its a struggle for AC devices to hit gigabit speeds. A few of the top end AC routers and wireless devices can but for the most part, they don't. AX is hitting gigabit speeds but it requires a AX router and AX device as well as halfway close distances to do so. 

Is there a reason you're wanting gigabit over wireless? Most devices aren't going to realize much difference from 200mbps to 700mbps. Reason why is most things you do (streaming/gaming/etc) don't require a bunch of bandwidth. For example, 4k streaming only needs 25-40mbps but it needs to be reliable.

So its more about if all your devices can hit reasonable speeds versus can you get 1 device to hit gigabit. 

Message 4 of 8
bman2021
Aspirant

Was able to hit great speed the past few days, now all of a sudden the router won't provide wifi. Shows secured, no internet, for both the 2.4 and 5ghz channels. I think the there's something wrong with the router itself, as I have confirmed 900mbps with my laptop connected directly to the modem today. I know this is a different issue than what I originally posted.
Message 5 of 8
plemans
Guru

What firmware version are you on?

Message 6 of 8
bman2021
Aspirant

V1.3.1.64_10.1.36

Message 7 of 8
plemans
Guru

so theirs both newer and older versions. 

The newest currently is 1.3.2.134

the version I usually recommend if people are having issues with newer firmware is 1.3.0.20

I'd highly recommend any firmware change be done over a hardwired connection, once done, do a factory reset and clean install (not using a backup configuration). 

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7