Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Cant access Nas with Ftp works localy to access nas with normal network

Bogo
Tutor

Cant access Nas with Ftp works localy to access nas with normal network

Whenever i try to connect to my nas with ftp i get error "ECONNREFUSED - connection refuced by server" when trying from my windows phone and disable the wireless so it gets an external ipadress it get only that it could not connect to the server.

As this is my first time setting up the FTP access i am sure i must be doing something wrong but i really dont see what it could be can someone help me?

Firmware on router: V1.0.5.70_1.1.91

Nas brand: is LS-QVL9A6

Using portforward from range 50000 to 50050 external to internal port 20-70

Dynamic dns

Have both tryed from a windows phone (external with 4g) and from filezilla on a windows 10 pc within the same network.

error from log in router reads:

[LAN access from remote] from x.x.x.x:60268 to 192.168.1.135:20, Friday, Jul 01,2016 05:55:29
[Admin login] from source 192.168.1.2, Friday, Jul 01,2016 05:54:10

Error when using filezilla network test (passive mode)

Hämtar extern IP-adress från http://ip.filezilla-project.org/ip.php
Söker efter den korrekta externa IP-adressen
IP x.x.x.x db-cai-bgd-bji
Svar: 200 OK
PREP 50036
Svar: 200 Using port 50036, data token 921969476
PORT 31,208,163,198,195,116
Svar: 502 Port mismatch. Received arguments contained port 50002. Command has been tained by router or firewall.

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 14

Accepted Solutions
TheEther
Guru

Re: Cant access Nas with Ftp works localy to access nas with normal network

@Bogo wrote:
Edit:

i have checked it all folders in the linkstation have  have SFTP on

Ok, SFTP runs on top of SSH, so you only need to open port 22.  You can close all of the other ports.  You also need an SFTP client.  Fortunately, FileZilla supports SFTP.

Needless to say, put a strong password on your NAS.

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 14

All Replies
storm1985
Prodigy

Using the win 10 PC can you access the NAS through FTP with local private IP address??

Message 2 of 14
TheEther
Guru

@Bogo wrote:

Whenever i try to connect to my nas with ftp i get error "ECONNREFUSED - connection refuced by server" when trying from my windows phone and disable the wireless so it gets an external ipadress it get only that it could not connect to the server.

What port are you connecting to from your Windows phone with Wi-Fi disabled?  Hint: The answer should be 50001, because your port forwarding rule maps 50001 to the command port for FTP (21).  Don't bother trying this.  Your port forwarding is wrong.  More on this later.

As this is my first time setting up the FTP access i am sure i must be doing something wrong but i really dont see what it could be can someone help me?

Firmware on router: V1.0.5.70_1.1.91

Nas brand: is LS-QVL9A6

Using portforward from range 50000 to 50050 external to internal port 20-70

This is not right.  More below.

Dynamic dns

Have both tryed from a windows phone (external with 4g) and from filezilla on a windows 10 pc within the same network.

error from log in router reads:

[LAN access from remote] from x.x.x.x:60268 to 192.168.1.135:20, Friday, Jul 01,2016 05:55:29

I assume this log corresponds to your filezilla test from your Windows PC.  You cannot reliably test ftp to the external IP address from the internal network.

[Admin login] from source 192.168.1.2, Friday, Jul 01,2016 05:54:10

Error when using filezilla network test (passive mode)

Hämtar extern IP-adress från http://ip.filezilla-project.org/ip.php
Söker efter den korrekta externa IP-adressen
IP x.x.x.x db-cai-bgd-bji
Svar: 200 OK
PREP 50036
Svar: 200 Using port 50036, data token 921969476
PORT 31,208,163,198,195,116
Svar: 502 Port mismatch. Received arguments contained port 50002. Command has been tained by router or firewall. 

I could be mistaken, but this doesn't look like a passive mode FTP.  There should be a PASV command.  The PORT command is usually indicative of active mode FTP.

As I mentioned above, your port forwarding rule doesn't look right.  If you are trying to use passive mode FTP, then you need to do two things:

1. Set up a range of ports that your FTP server will be listening on for incoming data connections.  It looks like you are trying to use 50000-50050, which is fine.
  2. Set up port forwarding from 50000-50050 to 50000-50050.  The external and internal ports must match because FTP exchanges the port number to use for the data connection between the client and server (via the PORT and PASV commands).  If port forwarding changes the port, then the data connection will fail.

You'll also need to open port 21 so that external clients can reach the FTP server on the command port, so you'll need a separate port forwarding rule for that.

Message 3 of 14
Bogo
Tutor

Using the win 10 PC can you access the NAS through FTP with local private IP address??

yes and also movefiles from the nas  localy

I have now tryed my nas on my mothers place and opend port 21 it hers router then the nas worked direclty (just wanted to dublecheck there was not any issues with my nas)

i changed the settings and opend port 50000 to 50050 to 50000 and also opend port 20-21 when conneting it still states connection failed. with my phone (will also try on an external pc but that will need to be awhile until then)

The log i get when conneting to windows phone is: the only setting is dont understand is what encryption to use it is default at UTC-8 so i did not change it

[LAN access from remote] from x.x.x.x:51353 to 192.168.1.3:50001, Monday, Jul 04,2016 05:27:50
[LAN access from remote] from x.x.x.x:2454 to 192.168.1.3:50001, Monday, Jul 04,2016 05:27:46

i have also reset the netgear to default (not reflash as i had the same issue on the same firmware that it came from and i dont want to risk anything in the router) aslo set everything up again but the issue remain after changing this. (nas internal ip is now 192.168.1.3 as i read somware (think it was toms hardware forum) that he got it to work by having an ip adress less then 20 witch i find strange but i tried anyway).

so in short (as i tend to type as i remeber them)

1. reset the router set it up all again also tryed on an diffrent network (then it did work)

2. not use the filezilla in the local net but use the phoine try try to connect

3. change the port to not change them internaly 50000 to 50050 and open port 21

4 try to connect again  same issue

(i also can surf to the router with dynamic dns so that works just wanted to state this 🙂 )

Message 4 of 14
TheEther
Guru

Did you remember to set up both your server and client to use passive mode?

With your new port forwarding rules, you should now be connecting to port 21 with your client, not 50001.

Actually, this whole endeavor may be moot. FTP is not encrypted. You should be using an encrypted protocol like SFTP. Does your NAS support it?
Message 5 of 14
Bogo
Tutor

Did you remember to set up both your server and client to use passive mode?

hmm the phone does not have that i think will check this more (will set this up on the remove client though

With your new port forwarding rules, you should now be connecting to port 21 with your client, not 50001.

aa ok

Actually, this whole endeavor may be moot. FTP is not encrypted. You should be using an encrypted protocol like SFTP. Does your NAS support it?

yep it does have never set it up though

Edit:

Message 6 of 14
TheEther
Guru

@Bogo wrote:
Edit:

Ok, SFTP runs on top of SSH, so you only need to open port 22.  You can close all of the other ports.  You also need an SFTP client.  Fortunately, FileZilla supports SFTP.

Needless to say, put a strong password on your NAS.

Message 7 of 14
Bogo
Tutor

(sorry for responding to my own forum but i felt it would be better as i got progress now)

what you stated about passive mode and my phone made me try with yet an other client on the windows phone and got abit further. now it states error when its about to show the list i suppose it is the folderlist if i can read it correcly it states just like it is a slow network? (100/100 fiberline with lan cable all the way) .

this is the log (i have taken away the personal stuff like username and pass)

Start - ***.mynetgear.com:21 **
[7/4/2016 2:38:26 PM]
220 192.168.1.3 FTP server ready

USER ***

331 Password required for ****

PASS 

230 User logged in

opts utf8 on

451 Unable to accept OPTS UTF8

PASV

227 Entering Passive Mode (31,208,163,198,195,107)

TYPE A

200 Type set to A

LIST

ConnectData: A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond.

A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond.

Message 8 of 14
TheEther
Guru

FTP uses two connections.  The main one on port 21 is for commands.  The second one is for transferring data.  It looks like the second one is failing.  The response to the PASV command indicates that the client should attempt to connect to port 50027 at IP address 31.208.x.x (Note: This is your public IP address, which you should not be sharing with us.).  Did you remove the port forwarding rule for 50000-50050?  You still need it if you want passive mode FTP to work.

Note, you can, if you want, use active mode FTP.  It will work without the port forwarding rule for 50000-50050.

But I'll caution you again that you really should use SFTP.

Message 9 of 14
Bogo
Tutor

i will do this try sftp instead is there a way to get a mod to delete the public ipadress? i forgot to do that. How to i go about to message the mods in this forum (quite new in  this forum 😄 )

(cant edit my self seem to be deleted that part when enuf time had gone )

Message 10 of 14
TheEther
Guru

Try messaging one of the moderators (ElaineM, DexterJB).  Maybe they can edit the post.

Message 11 of 14
Bogo
Tutor

yes now everything works on the pc (there is a protocall missmatch on the phones but that does not matter as the linkstations is quite old i kind of think i will not get the newest protocall

but using the last ports made everything works and just to make sure i have  changed all password on the nas for added security. thank you for the help would given up a long time without it 🙂

Message 12 of 14
TheEther
Guru

Are you using ftp or sftp?
Message 13 of 14
Bogo
Tutor

sftp with port 22

aa now i tryed yet an other app on my phone and that one worked (this is the 5th one or the 6th lol )

Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7