Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Comcast Extreme internet still not up to speed with Nighthawk AC1900 R7000 - ISP issue

mikeerwin
Aspirant

Comcast Extreme internet still not up to speed with Nighthawk AC1900 R7000 - ISP issue

Hi Guys I have Comcast as a ISP. With there Extrememe 150MBPS internet. I decided to get away from there Modem/router combo Because I was pulling only about 45Mbps hardwired and about 35mbps wifi. So I decided to buy a Arris Surfboard 6141 and a Nighthawk 1900ac R7000 I have everything connected and ran the wizard for netgear. I am still getting about the same speed to even lower speed using my modem and the nighthawk. Any suggestions to get me up or around the speed I am paying for?

Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
Retired_Member
Not applicable

So after I'm guessing you spent $250 you're worse off than when you started. So is your new modem Dociss 3.1 ready? If not oh well when they upgrade in the very near future your modem may not take advantage of 3.1 which addresses BUFFER BLOAT.

Hey not trying to burst your bubble but, a lot BS is being sold without any back up to support it.

Ok, what to do now. Contact comcast for the slow speed tell them you had slow speed before buying your own modem. Hopefully they can resolve it. If not have them bring their modem out and prove theirs will deliver what you're paying for.

The r7000 does have some benefits one is the 5g AC option but you need AC clients to take advantage of it. My back round is in CATV, VOIP and HIGH SPEED DATA and I was involved in the Chicago Region with some of the very first build outs in the Chicago Suburbs  going back to 1989. If you need anything else just ask.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 8

All Replies
Retired_Member
Not applicable

If you had a problem using their modem than you should had had them fix it. You may have  an area problem or back office problem where the Modem didn't get the new BIN file to enable faster speed.

Message 2 of 8
mikeerwin
Aspirant

So then I shouldnt even bought this nighthawk? I was told that ISP modems/routers were junk. and the best way to get the full potential out of your internet is to get your own modem and use the nighthawk so you can have right around the same download speed on all your devices.

Message 3 of 8
Retired_Member
Not applicable

So after I'm guessing you spent $250 you're worse off than when you started. So is your new modem Dociss 3.1 ready? If not oh well when they upgrade in the very near future your modem may not take advantage of 3.1 which addresses BUFFER BLOAT.

Hey not trying to burst your bubble but, a lot BS is being sold without any back up to support it.

Ok, what to do now. Contact comcast for the slow speed tell them you had slow speed before buying your own modem. Hopefully they can resolve it. If not have them bring their modem out and prove theirs will deliver what you're paying for.

The r7000 does have some benefits one is the 5g AC option but you need AC clients to take advantage of it. My back round is in CATV, VOIP and HIGH SPEED DATA and I was involved in the Chicago Region with some of the very first build outs in the Chicago Suburbs  going back to 1989. If you need anything else just ask.

Message 4 of 8
mikeerwin
Aspirant

I had a tech out today they even switched modems and they could not get the download stream right. its sad that you started off with blast package for there 90mbps and was only getting 35 tops then you switch to Extremem 150 and if i hard wire the comcast modem in with the night hawk I get the 90 mbps which is there blast package speed and not there extreme 150 speeds. 

Message 5 of 8
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Comcast has a forum you should post over there too.

Message 6 of 8
PrimeNumber
Guide

Go into the advanced setup for the R7000. Go to the QoS section and run the speed test function from there. Your router will go out and test your connection speed and set itself up appropriately. If you have never done this, or not done it since upgrading your internet service, your router will not use the extra bandwidth you are paying for. The router will not do this automatically, it must be done manually.

Message 7 of 8
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@PrimeNumber wrote:

Go into the advanced setup for the R7000. Go to the QoS section and run the speed test function from there. Your router will go out and test your connection speed and set itself up appropriately. If you have never done this, or not done it since upgrading your internet service, your router will not use the extra bandwidth you are paying for. The router will not do this automatically, it must be done manually.

You may be a bit confused about this. This would ONLY be true if QOS is enabled. The problem HERE is he cannot get 150 out of the modem, before even connecting the r7000 to the modem. Nothing in the r7000 will solve this problem.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7